Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:57:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327579 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Favorite Albums.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Favorite Albums.  (Read 8869 times)
amlabella

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 11:55:58 PM »

Well, here are a few of mine.

Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd - I love Pink Floyd for their creativity, and this album certainly captures that. From slow intros that build up, to sound effects and dailogue, it's not like your average rock album. Also, it features a nice mix of soft songs that are easy to listen to, including classics like "Money" and "Time".

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles - Possibly the greatest album ever in my opinion by my favorite musical artist. It's hard to describe. It's not the longest album, but it was certainly groundbreaking for its time. It had all kinds of classics that are easily recognized today by many, and the talents of all the Beatles is highlighted in the album.

Ok Computer by Radiohead - This is the album that opened me up to all types of music. It is certainly an 'alternative' album because of its unique sound. The vocals may not be the greatest, and one individual in Radiohead doesn't stand out. They just work as a cohesive group to create a truly different experience with the album. It's somewhat of a love or hate album, and I love it.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 12:19:02 PM »

Quote from: "Vanguard"
Quote from: "Merkava"
I hate The Decemberists

I do too, but it's not because they suck; rather, it's because it feels like wasted potential. For a band that produces music that feels more like a journey than music, it's just a disapointment that it's too boring to listen to a lot.

That's a good point. I also believe if the band wasn't fronted by Colin Meloy, they would at least not give me headaches. His voice is like a monotone goose and really prevents the songs from reaching their true potential.

I don't think his voice is equipped to deal with the music that he writes.

Another favorite album:

Destroyer - Streethawk: A Seduction

All the songs are perfect, delicious pop songs in the vein of Hunky Dory-era David Bowie and...well, that's all. It's a great album in the most classic rock way.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 12:52:57 PM »

Quote from: "Vanguard"
I hate The Decemberists

I do too, but it's not because they suck; rather, it's because it feels like wasted potential. For a band that produces music that feels more like a journey than music, it's just a disapointment that it's too boring to listen to a lot.

That's a good point. I also believe if the band wasn't fronted by Colin Meloy, they would at least not give me headaches. His voice is like a monotone goose and really prevents the songs from reaching their true potential.

I don't think his voice is equipped to deal with the music that he writes.

That's funny, I find his voice to be one of the most appealing parts of The Decemberists. Most indie rock type music makes me want to jam sharp objects into my ears, but I happen to think The Decemberists are exceptionally good.

Differing tastes, I guess.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 02:11:50 PM »

Wait, since when was OK Computer considered love or hate? I thought Thom Yorke was considered to be a top-notch vocalist, OKC was considered to be canonical, and the Kid Amnesica set was supposed to be the love it/hate it thing.

Not passing judgement myself -- just speaking of trends.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

amlabella

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Wait, since when was OK Computer considered love or hate? I thought Thom Yorke was considered to be a top-notch vocalist, OKC was considered to be canonical, and the Kid Amnesica set was supposed to be the love it/hate it thing.

Not passing judgement myself -- just speaking of trends.

I suppose you're right. I guess I'm just speaking of personal things. For example, I've never met anyone that just thought the album was good. They either loved it, or didn't like it much. But I'm sure there are people out there who think otherwise.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:36 PM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"

That's funny, I find his voice to be one of the most appealing parts of The Decemberists. Most indie rock type music makes me want to jam sharp objects into my ears, but I happen to think The Decemberists are exceptionally good.

Heh, most metal singers make me want to do the same thing. It really must be differing tastes. :P

I mean, metal singers are technically skilled, but I'm not a big fan of that style. I like the rawer, flawed, affecting style of singing Indie Rock bands have.
Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 10:30:43 PM »

I'd like to add Abbey Road by the Beatles to my list. I got this as my introduction to the band about a month ago and it really is an incredible album.

The Perfect Element I by Pain of Salvation is also an excellent disc. Here I thought Remedy Lane was amazing, but this album just beats it in so many different ways. I hear something new every time I listen, and it just gets better and better every time. I think the title is really fitting; this album is perfect, in my eyes.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 11:58:27 PM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"

Heh, most metal singers make me want to do the same thing. It really must be differing tastes. :P

I mean, metal singers are technically skilled, but I'm not a big fan of that style. I like the rawer, flawed, affecting style of singing Indie Rock bands have.

That's really funny, especially for the fact that the type of metal I enjoy is basically extremely clear, pretty much refined vocals of Power Metal singers. With plenty of falsettos.

When it comes to Indie Rock, I can only really enjoy The Decemberists, Architecture in Helsinki (mainly because their songs are so damn catchy), and maybe a handful of other bands. Half the time, I don't like a particular Indie band (or any band for that matter) if I can't understand the lyrics of the song. The easier and clearer they are, the better.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 11:22:09 AM »

Metallica - Puppets
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
RHCP - Californication
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pantera - Vulgar display of power
Faith no More - The Real Thing.

..there's probably a lot i'm missing but those came to mind first...

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2006, 11:47:33 AM »

Tool: Aenima
Nine inch Nails : The fragile and downward the spiral, if i like more the fragile than dts is because is more long xD.
Pink Floyd: The division bell

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »

System Of A Down - Steal This Album!
Evanescence - Origin
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera
Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print