Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334508 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gothic Series Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gothic Series Thread  (Read 2297 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »

Goddddddd DAMN Gothic is painful to play. The first one. You constantly run out of fun quests and shit to kill, and some of the quest-trees are just plain broken. On the other hand it feels great improving your character. Either way the game is straight up inferior to the second game. The inventory controls is just insane, totally insane. On the bright side, its a rewarding game long term.. and what other games give you a tight-knight and contained prison-fantasy RPG?

Gothic 2: Gold, probably the best RPG to exist out of Europe ever, is really great though. Still has kinks but god damn is it a good game..

Gothic 3.. I haven't beaten it. Has anyone played it thoroughly? I played it at launch and pigs instant killing me got really old fast. I remember one melee combo could also kill any humanoid enemy. So stupid. Did they fix this game in patches?

Can't say I'm optimistic about Gothic 4. I hope they mimic Gothic 2's success instead of Oblivion's success like the old developer tried last time.

But yeah guys, play Gothic 2. There's really no game like it. The combat takes time to "get" but in the end you'll walk away a happier and wiser gamer.

PS. Made this thread because I am playing Gothic 1. So hard..
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

I absolutely despised the first two Gothics, but I don't even remember why since it's been so long since I played them. Never touched 3. Maybe I should give them another shot. Or maybe not.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:18:54 PM »

I'd give the 2nd one with the expansions/patches another shot if I were you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »

Gothic 2 is great because it forces you to not suck at it.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »

I love how differently the game approaches situations

Example from first Gothic: One miner is hiding behing a large slab of rock, and brags about how he hides from the guards and doesnt work when they aren't around. He also sells information for ore (currency in the game) to make up for his lack of work. Well you can use him as an informant, or you can tell the guard..

If you tell the guard he tells you that he hates traitors more than lazy miners, so you kind of both lose out haha.

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »

Ive never played the Gothic series, if I wanted to get into it how should I go about it?
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 11:15:39 AM »

Get Gothic Universe, it's a compilation of all three games and the expansion for Gothic II, Night of the Raven. Failing that, they're available separately on GOG and Steam. Just make sure you get Gothic II Gold rather than just Gothic II, since that contains NotR and apparently it's a much better game with it installed, though I've never tried it without it.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »

Find a copy of Gothic 2: Gold. It's on a few direct download sites these days too. Steam has it for $10.  

Optional Fan-patches are available at worldofgothic.com if you want to clean up the game a bit, but I haven't tried them.

Quick Edit: If you REALLY want to play the games chronologically, you're going to have to have very high tolerance for old PC games, since the first one is extremely clunky. It has a cool setting though:

There is war in the human kingdom. Hordes of orcs are invading the land from the north. To keep up the strength of the king's troops, the blacksmiths of the realm are constantly producing new weapons. Those who break the law await a terrible fate: they are sentenced to heavy labor in the penal colony to dig the ORE needed to create weapons.

The area is surrounded by a magical barrier, a sphere of two thousand meters in diameter which spans the prison like a dome. Entering the barrier doesn't pose a problem, but leaving the sphere is impossible... at least for a living creature.

You may be innocent, yet you are sent to prison where you have to compete with hostile creatures. From now on, your only goal is survival... and eventually finding a way to escape.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:19:47 AM by Thoren » Logged
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:55 AM »

it looks like a prettier morrowind
RyanHayward

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:16:38 PM »

I haven't played too much of Gothic but I do remember this annoying prat following me around and endlessly talking shit and I had to take him outside the camp for the monsters to kill him as he just wouldn't get the message and leave me alone.

Will certainly play the entire trilogy eventually as its certainly original & very challenging.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »

Haha yeah that's Mud, he just bugs the shit out of you in the Old Camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkx-t4D3UU
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »

Mud's a sheepfucker.

Literally.

(That's the joke).

Also Gothic 1's seriously not THAT clunky. It's not like Wizardry 8 where your attacks miss 75% of the time and every round of combat takes like five fucking minutes.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 08:42:59 PM »

Its glitchy though.. luckily there are workarounds. The story and characters arent deep or as interesting as Gothic 2 either.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »

One of the cool things about Gothic 2 was its sense of progression. It's not like, here's a big open world do whatever you want (although you could do that to an extent). Instead if was really good about providing you overarching goals (Get into town, become a citizen, join the army, etc) and every sidequests could become clearly seen as being a step towards that goal. And a lot of the would also end up affecting the kind of character your dude would become, meaning the plot and gameplay interacted with eachother constantly.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »

Just finished the first game, what a waste of time. The ending was so bad.

"heh the end later man"

I fired up Gothic 2 though and was reminded why that game is so amazing
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: