Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:24:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338499 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Grinding, past, present and future
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grinding, past, present and future  (Read 1456 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

Here is a little something I've been meaning to write about for a while.

Early grinding - the birth
Grinding, as a mechanism, became immensely popular in the 1990s as the RPG genre developed the most in that decade. Whereas there were RPGs before, those had little focus on gaining levels or rare equipments. In fact, most of the RPGs before the 1990s were designed for the player to hit the maximum level and have the best gear, without excessive detours, at the point where the player would reach the last boss.

At its introduction, grinding was in essence, a way for an easier playthough. If a player had problems with the game, it was possible to reduce the difficulty by gaining a few levels or taking a detour in a side area for a rarer piece of equipment. It is important to note that in the early age of grinding, the player could not overpower the boss, even at maximum level with the best gear.

Examples of early grinding would be dragon warrior 1-3 and Final Fantasy 1-3.

Past grinding - the recognition

In the mid 90s, the nature of grinding became different. While it still kept its value as a difficulty scale modifier, the developers started adding content related to grinding. As a result, games would start to feature bosses which were impossible to beat unless the player had fully powered-up his characters. An adverse effect to this was that the game's last boss would usually be badly overpowered by a fully powered-up team since the player needed to surpass his usual endgame battle capability to face the extra bosses which most often rewarded powerful equipment.

Around the second millennia, developers started adding rewards for clearing grinding content that weren't equipments. Those would consist of costumes, extra scenes, extra characters, etc. From this point, grinding became an official gameplay element.
A major contributor to this trend was the Enix + tri-Ace duo. The games Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 1-3 and Radiata Stories all had extensive post-game dungeons. In fact, the extra content in Star Ocean 3 is considered by most to be superior to the storyline gameplay.
Another serie that set itself apart due to grinding is NIS's Disgaea serie which is heavily based on grinding.

Other examples of past grinding would be final fantasy 4-12 (excluding 11) and Legend of the Dragoon

Present grinding - the online era

While in the past, grinding was for the user's own satisfaction, this was changed drastically with the appearance of multiplayer games and the online capabilities of consoles and computers. In this new era, grinding is becoming a social factor as opposed to a reward.

While some games skillfully manage the online and offline rewards of grinding like Star Ocean: The last Hope, MMORPGs are displaying a whole new direction for grinding. Since these games are played by thousands of players, companies started to add achievements that would require hours of grinding for trophies. These trophies serve to show the devotion a player has for a game or to raise his online social standing. Sadly, an ill effect of e-celebrity delusions is that it encourages the industry to add incredibly tedious grindings which truthfully offer no reward at all.

Examples of present grinding are Tales of Vesperia, World of Warcraft

The future of grinding

At this point, it seems grinding is split between in-game reward and real world reward. Depending on how people adapt to the loss of individuality caused by the Internet, grinding may become even more of a tedious task.

One thing is for sure, it is a lot cheaper to develop pride with achievements than to add additional content. That alone might point the direction the industry will try to force.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »

Ummm... what?

No, no, how about this:

"Grinding was first witnessed among youth starting around the late 80s as an acceptable form of public foreplay. Grinding became increasingly popular throughout the 90s and early 00s as it became more socially acceptable, and in many cases, required at certain types of music-related social gatherings, such as raves. The most common outcome of grinding, is, of course, intercourse. One should take care before grinding that one has the proper protection, in case intercourse ensues."

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:25:17 PM »

Ummm... what?

No, no, how about this:

"Grinding was first witnessed among youth starting around the late 80s as an acceptable form of public foreplay. Grinding became increasingly popular throughout the 90s and early 00s as it became more socially acceptable, and in many cases, required at certain types of music-related social gatherings, such as raves. The most common outcome of grinding, is, of course, intercourse. One should take care before grinding that one has the proper protection, in case intercourse ensues."

Of course, you will also want to be protected from Random Encounters in this case, especially when it results in a "Surprise attack".

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:31:25 PM »

1 cookie for Prime, and a whole box of cookies to Starmongoose, because that made me lol. :)

Annubis, I need to be very vague here to not get the site in trouble, but I must tell you to watch for my review of Etrian Odyssey 3 as its release date approaches next month.  Grinding is something that will most certainly come up.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »

1 cookie for Prime, and a whole box of cookies to Starmongoose, because that made me lol. :)

Annubis, I need to be very vague here to not get the site in trouble, but I must tell you to watch for my review of Etrian Odyssey 3 as its release date approaches next month.  Grinding is something that will most certainly come up.
Grinding does usually make something "come up" alright.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:12:53 AM »

Grinding does usually make something "come up" alright.

and not just that spelling of "come"
this is getting a little "weird"

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »

Silly insertnamehere... he was referring to PENISIS, not JIZ!

Wow... I call highjacking. Anyone else here call highjacking? Let's take this thread for a party ride!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:20:43 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »

Distinctly incompatible goals, Kup.

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »

Hey, I accomplished them (it was DQ V, though)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »

Slowbro's before hoes.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: