Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332774 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ridiculous plot wanking...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Ridiculous plot wanking...  (Read 3175 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 06:30:01 PM »

I agree with us all being old fogeys(mentally)...

I have the mentality of a 12 year old which is why half of my posts devolve into TEEHEE VAGINAS by the end of them.

Avatar is special because in a lot of movies that are mostly production values, if said production values are as high as the ones in Avatar, you at least have acting that's not completely terrible or a coherent plot or something. With Avatar it's like, there's a HUGE damn discrepancy between the production values and the actual underlying movie. It's not even b-movie bad. Snakes on a Plane was a damn B-movie and that was far more competently acted than...........

Holy shit Avatar is this decade's Star Wars: Episode 1.

Maybe us older folks just can't immerse ourselves in "coming of age" stories anymore, no matter how pretty and shiny they've become.

Coming of age stories can easily appeal to adults if they're like, truthful and well written. A good coming of age story will cause self-examination no matter how old you are. It just shifts from "Where am I going?" to "How did I get where I am now?" Although, realistically, most people don't know where they're going and the ones that do are usually depressed corporate meat puppets.

JRPGs kind of suck at this (with a few notable exceptions. Namely Earthbound*).

(In another sense, though, this is why I loved Cid from FFVII. He's a sort of adult coming of age story. A guy that lost his dreams, ends up kind of broken, and then finds himself again. Then again maybe it's just my Wapakonetan ancestry that makes me like Cid. Whevz, braw).

Problem is JRPGs always kind of have catered towards the younger set whereas WRPGs have always catered to the older set. Only it's still questionable how well most WRPGs did that, too because while JRPGs are generally old dudes making games for kids, WRPGs are more like kids making games for old dudes, and you end up with a lot of TEEHEE VAGINAS.

* The thing with Earthbound is that while it's accurate to describe it as a "coming of age" story, that's only about half of it. (I actually feel that Lunar: TSSSC works for similar reasons, although that's an annotation for another day).

I hate to reference it since I generally hate the guy's writing, but Tim Rogers kind of nailed it. The game is a coming of age story up through Fourside, at which point it starts to shift. Moonside kind of delineates this change. Congratulations. You've made it to the big city (where people drown, and people serve...). You're a grown up now.

Most JRPGs would end the thing here with a message of discovering the true meaning of love and self or sacrifice or whatever. Earthbound sends you into some dark, creepy acid trip world.

What else? To reinterpret a line from that "Always Wear Sunscreen" song, Earthbound is also, I think, a game about pulling memories away from the garbage disposal of time and preserving/re-remembering them.

Also it really conveys the feeling of leaving home well to me. Well, not leaving home so much but a kind of aimless, lonely homelessness-even-though-you-have-a-home feeling. Getting distant from things.

I first played earthbound when I was younger. Playing it now, I'm like... seeing it differently. How you read it kind of changes with you.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:57:03 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 07:01:23 PM »

Not an rpg, but reviews I've read of Other M say that the story stuff is not well done and brings down the whole experience. Way to go, Tecmo.

Reviews of Other M seem to be ALL OVER THE PLACE. One review I read thought the story sucked and the gameplay was great, another thought the story/presentation was wonderful, but the gameplay was weak. I'll see tonight when I play it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »

Not an rpg, but reviews I've read of Other M say that the story stuff is not well done and brings down the whole experience. Way to go, Tecmo.

Reviews of Other M seem to be ALL OVER THE PLACE. One review I read thought the story sucked and the gameplay was great, another thought the story/presentation was wonderful, but the gameplay was weak. I'll see tonight when I play it.

It's going to have groan worthy moments given that even fucking Nintendo Power criticized some of the design/writing choices made in this game like not having the Varia Suit until after falling into a few lava pits beforehand or Samus's droning inner monologues.

However I've heard that pretty much all of the classic upgrades and abilities are available to you including the Speed Booster, Screw Attack, and even Shinesparking (the only thing unconfirmed thus far are the beam combos and crystal flash). Also apparently a few old faces will also be showing up in this game as well such as
Code:
Nightmare, Phantoon, and the fucking Metroid Queen.

Unfortunately it seems that this game will probably bomb given how few players will approach this game and how easy it is to space pirate this game. It doesn't help that the game is effectively Fusion 2 in 3D given the forced progression and lack of free reign exploration.

Hopefully someone can find the possible sequence breaks in this game or lack thereof.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »

...forced progression and lack of free reign exploration.

Is it just me or does this part here describe a disturbing amount of games this generation? Both in and out of the RPG genre.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »

Is it just me or does this part here describe a disturbing amount of games this generation? Both in and out of the RPG genre.

Well movies don't allow for free reign exploration so why should videogames.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:40 PM »

Well movies don't allow for free reign exploration so why should videogames.

Because between a movie ($4 viewing fee + $20 purchase, larger production budgets) and a videogame ($60 purchase, smaller budgets) I expect the latter to at least offer me more for the $36 difference? XD
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »

how easy it is to space pirate this game.

What the heck does this mean?

perhaps an Other M thread is in order...

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »

And, again, I come to the complaint I've lobbied 371,292 times already.  The focus is too much on the pretty shiny gimmickry and not on the writing.  

I agree.  And it certainly doesn't help when every gaming site out there was covering, in detail, why the PS3 version of FF13 was superior to the 360 version.  I don't fault people for posting the news, but it's disheartening to see how much attention said news received.  Certainly goes against the message many (like Neil) are trying to preach.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »

Is it just me or does this part here describe a disturbing amount of games this generation?

That's also most of the games during the 16-bit era too, honestly. Remember FFIV?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: