Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 01:36:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341029 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atlus Absorbed, Merges With Mobile Developer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Atlus Absorbed, Merges With Mobile Developer  (Read 4310 times)
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:59:07 AM »

The parent company of animation studio Madhouse and Atlus, Index Holdings, announced Atlus will be dissolved. A representative said the brand will still exist with future games published under the Atlus label, but Atlus will no longer be listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Atlus, a fully owned subsidiary of Index Holdings, will merge with Index, a mobile content division of the same company. Index Holdings believes this will allow the new team to leverage Atlusí IP library such as Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, and Trauma Center. Just a few weeks ago, Persona 3 Social was announced for cell phones.

Source: siliconera.com

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:25:58 AM »

Fuck.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:30:00 AM »

You had me worried there for a moment but I guess that in the end this only means that we'll be seeing more of these franchises on cellphones. The atlus name will continue to exist as a game developer but will not be a real company on paper. I hope this is all there is to it. We'll have to wait and see.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:31:55 AM »

You son of a... my heart, it hurts.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:04:56 AM »

oh shit

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 05:17:24 AM »

You had me worried there for a moment but I guess that in the end this only means that we'll be seeing more of these franchises on cellphones. The atlus name will continue to exist as a game developer but will not be a real company on paper. I hope this is all there is to it. We'll have to wait and see.

I guess it depends on who runs the merged company (I suspect that it'll be the mobile people). In any transition, there's always the risk that the new management doesn't understand or appreciate what the absorbed company is about.

At any rate, I wonder why Index bought Madhouse and Atlus in the first place. If profit is their goal, they're hardly ideal acquisitions.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »

maybe they are, though. You don't have to be the biggest to make the biggest profit margin. Keep in mind that most Atlus titles are fairly low budget, but do quite well considering. That could account for quite a bit of it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alan_01987

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »

I think this translation from press release ?
http://finella.nemissa.info/2010/02/14/end-of-the-atlus-we-know/
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:42 AM »

This is not what I wanted to see, not at all.

I really don't have high hopes that this will end well. It might not be as big a deal as I think it is, but I am scared because Atlus are my favourite game developer/publisher and I don't want to see them financially successful but artistically ruined. Selfish of me, maybe, but I appreciate effort and care going into games than a big budget.

Edit: Someone really needs to be the voice of reason for me right now. :(
I'm having visions of Persona being more "marketable" (boobies) and SMT  "toning down" the dark mood because research says magical girls and pastel colours sell better.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:55:04 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:50 AM »

Oh god.. I can't even describe the feelings I have right now.. I'm shaking.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »

Let's try to stay positive. Loosing the Atlus we know and love is pretty much the worse thing that could happen to this industry as far as I'm concerned but the company has been enjoying quite a bit of success and has a very loyal fanbase that has been growing exponentially and I'm sure that whoever calls the shots is aware of that.
Besides, they must've known this was going to happen for some time now and that didn't stop them from developing catherine which must have a pretty big budget by Atlus' standards, so I'm hoping that things will continue to function more or less like they did untill now.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »

Let's try to stay positive. Loosing the Atlus we know and love is pretty much the worse thing that could happen to this industry as far as I'm concerned but the company has been enjoying quite a bit of success and has a very loyal fanbase that has been growing exponentially and I'm sure that whoever calls the shots is aware of that.
Besides, they must've known this was going to happen for some time now and that didn't stop them from developing catherine which must have a pretty big budget by Atlus' standards, so I'm hoping that things will continue to function more or less like they did untill now.

Thanks, CDFN, I needed that...

You are right about Cathrine, I'm no expert in business, but it is doubtful the company who are absorbing them came up behind them with a big burlap sack one day and declared that they own them now.

My boyfriend is being annoyingly level-headed about this, while I'm yelling the end is nigh, he is trying to rationalize. Fuck him.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:11:12 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »

I look at it this way. Atlus USA is essentially a publishing house whereas the Atlus R&D-1 guys are responsible for the SMT games, IIRC.

Also:

Atlus, a fully owned subsidiary of Index Holdings, will merge with Index, a mobile content division of the same company. Index Holdings believes this will allow the new team to leverage Atlusí IP library such as Persona, Shin Megami Tensei, and Trauma Center. Just a few weeks ago, Persona 3 Social was announced for cell phones.

This just means that Atlus isn't a separate company but instead is being merged with another company that is owned by the same company that owns Atlus.

I'm reading this as Index Holdings just consolidating their assets so that their stocks look better. Which shouldn't affect anything.

Atlus being bought out by a different company would be a bad thing, though. But this is definitely no EA-style buy-and-kill move.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »

I agree with Meshie-poo on this.  It reads more like a management structure change than a merger, reorganization, or buyout. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »

Atlus? Is that this company that publishes all those Naruto and party games?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: