Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:56:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Dated - Nov. 29 for NA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Dated - Nov. 29 for NA  (Read 1477 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/30/golden-sun-dark-dawn-descends-to-stores-on-november-29/

When Nintendo said “this holiday season” for Golden Sun: Dark Dawn they meant it. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn will be in stores in North America on November 29.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »

Holy crap!  I need to play through both GS's again before this comes out!  I need to mark my calendar!!!

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:35:37 AM »

Well, I suppose I'll ask now; why do people like Golden Sun? Is it a good series? Is it worth it to pick up the titles? (I'm asking seriously here.)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:39:59 PM »

They are solid RPGs, with a couple minor combat annoyances (for me at least) other than that though, they are nothing to turn your nose up at.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:31 PM »

I'd post more excitement if I knew anything about this title.  Details seem to be kept to a minimum thus far.  Not too much a fan of the DS 3D... but looks alright anyhow.  Yay?  Looking forward to it?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »

I really enjoyed their soundtracks and the battle system.  The story on the other hand........meh.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:19:25 PM »

Well, I suppose I'll ask now; why do people like Golden Sun? Is it a good series? Is it worth it to pick up the titles? (I'm asking seriously here.)

Great series. It really takes the 16-bit RPG genre about as far as it can go. It capitalizes on the things that chipset RPGs can do well, and goes easy on everything else. First and foremost, it has KILLER dungeon layout and design, very fun areas with lots of fun puzzles, multiple paths, and interesting scenery, very Zelda-like. The battles are fast... some of the fastest of any RPG. Sure they're random, but the annoyance factor is extremely low, because the encounter rate is fairly low and controllable (you get a spell about halfway through that negates encounters). The skill/summon system is simple but rewarding. And the dialog is quite charming. Really, you can't ask for more. I put Golden Sun 2 up there with my 10 best RPGs of the decade, because when I look back on it, I realize I really had a lot of fun playing it. And that's what counts.

Good description: Take the overall feel of Dragon Quest, mix it with the item/puzzle system of Wild Arms (or Zelda, if you're not familliar with WA), and give it the greatest dungeons any 2D RPG has ever had, and you have Golden Sun. Golden Sun 1 & 2 are really different chapters of the same game, they just couldn't fit it all on one cartridge.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »

Ha!  What did I say? I thought it may be released in November, but was told by everyone it will be next year.  Glad I was right.  Not to be right, but that we will see it this year.   :)
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 06:10:04 PM »

Prime sums it up nicely. Although I personally felt the dialogue to be stale... other than that, what Prime said. :)

Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »

The combat is turn based, and its still fast for you? The story has plot twists that you can see a mile away. I thought the interaction spells were a fun gimmick. The music was good for the first hour of the game, until they start looping. Golden Sun is a great RPG by handheld standards, but thats not saying too much. I only played the first one when I was in jr. high, maybe I should go back and replay it to see if my memory hasnt fazed out...
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »

Combat speed is very, very important to me. The first 2 Golden Sun games had pretty impressive graphics for GBA games but still managed to keep the "Christ just end already" factor I have for a lot of turn-based RPGs these days to nearly zero.

I hope they keep it that way.

The DS 3D I'm not terribly excited about, but if they keep the same game speed, I'll likely enjoy this game.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »

Ha!  What did I say? I thought it may be released in November, but was told by everyone it will be next year.  Glad I was right.  Not to be right, but that we will see it this year.   :)

I'm glad you were right too! :D

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »

Golden Sun is a great RPG by handheld standards, but thats not saying too much.

True when they came out, or at least the first. Not true now.

I actually found them fairly... tepid, but I'll probably give this a shot anyway. Played through the first two, so I may as well see where they're going with this.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »

I care about two things: Is Felix in it? Is Isaac in it?

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »

I'll pick up the third one having played the first two. I enjoyed combat and some music tracks from the game, but about 75 percent of the soundtrack was bland. I hope they will improve the soundtrack some and bring back enough familiar faces.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: