Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332816 Posts in 13637 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Am I the only one failing at White Knight Chronicles?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Am I the only one failing at White Knight Chronicles?  (Read 879 times)
Kup

« on: August 31, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »

So yeah, pretty average RPG.  Generic, bland characters and a pretty lame story line half the time.  And fucking Nolan North.

But the online was something that peaked my interest.  Making a town and joining friends in their towns or yours, questing together and combining your skills / abilities to compliment each other.  Sounded fun, but I've hit a wall.

I've finished the main story and a friend and I decided to dive into the online side of things, which started off very promising.  But now I just feel like the game is making us grind the same quests over and over and over to level up our Guild Rank to unlock more quests.

Did anyone else feel like this when they played online?

Basically, we're Guild Rank 3-4 now and have completed all the quests open to us at that rank and even went through them again for an S rank.  Now, it seems, the game wants us to grind quests for XP to level up in order to unlock more quests (because our Guild Rank is too low).

The quests are pretty boring at the best of times, but the first time they can be quiet exciting and fresh.  We trawled around on forums for a level guide (because we we were certain we'd missed something), but everyone is saying "that's just how it is".

How is this even fun?  I can't complete 75% of the quests on my map because I'm too low a level, but I only have the same 4 or 5 quests to keep replaying for XP.  I read a post by some guy and he worked out that to rank up fast is to defeat the boss is 'Quest X' for the best XP... and that to go from Guild Rank 3-4 to 7 (for the new quests) it would be best to do this quest 52 times for the required XP.

No.

I was enjoying the online until this point.  It just feels broken and I can't figure out for the life of me how this is a good design.  Please, somebody agree with me, or at least explain how I'm playing it wrong.

Nonetheless, the game went back in it's case (probably for good).  Oh and to rub more salt in the wound, I received some free weekly quests but the game doesn't want me to play them at Guild Rank 3 - I need to grind the same boss for 5 hours first.

Silly me.

The online could have been much more fun...
Reconnection

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »

I avoided White Knight Chronicles due to its bland story in the first place. So much for RPG epic, huh?

That does sound pretty tedious, to have to redo quests over and over just to get the needed amount of exp for a new quest.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

I have nothing particularly relevant to the discussion to say, but what's wrong with Nolan North?
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

I read a post by some guy and he worked out that to rank up fast is to defeat the boss is 'Quest X' for the best XP... and that to go from Guild Rank 3-4 to 7 (for the new quests) it would be best to do this quest 52 times for the required XP.

No.

I was enjoying the online until this point.  It just feels broken and I can't figure out for the life of me how this is a good design.  Please, somebody agree with me, or at least explain how I'm playing it wrong.

Nonetheless, the game went back in it's case (probably for good).  Oh and to rub more salt in the wound, I received some free weekly quests but the game doesn't want me to play them at Guild Rank 3 - I need to grind the same boss for 5 hours first.

Hmm... I haven't played this game, but I am curious if you have played a lot of other online games.  5 hours for 3-4 levels is not that bad on average...

Also, this sounds like Monster Hunter Tri's online system... but there is a lot of skill involved in that game, and "practicing" with repetitive questing helps in itself.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »

I have nothing particularly relevant to the discussion to say, but what's wrong with Nolan North?

I like Nolan North but even I'll admit that he's overused.  There are other good voice actors out there too.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »

wall-o-text

See the problem here is that you got the now completely obsolete WKC1 instead of waiting for WKC2 which comes with a rebalanced version of WKC1 along with its disk two.

I suggest trading in your copy for a better game and wait for WKC2 to hit shelves (or not since this game is beyond redemption of its plot's mediocrity).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »

I bought a copy when it came out. Haven't even unwrapped it yet.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »

KillerArmoire makes a good point.

I did not enjoy what I played of it. Which, admittedly, was not much. Among Level 5 titles, I'm much more inclined to enjoy DQIX and the Layton games.

Also, mega high hopes for NI NO KUNI!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: