Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 04:31:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329270 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyria Chronicles II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles II  (Read 4738 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:20 AM »

I got about halfway through and returned mine today. I really wasn't that excited by it. I enjoyed the first, but the smaller armies, maps and a vastly inferior story couldn't hold my attention here.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:30 PM »

I got about halfway through and returned mine today. I really wasn't that excited by it. I enjoyed the first, but the smaller armies, maps and a vastly inferior story couldn't hold my attention here.

Heh, in all honestly calling it a "story" is generous I think. At this point I'm just playing it for the battles. Getting a bit of cliche steeped/predictable story every 6-10 maps isn't cutting it for me (I'm a completionist so I have to do all the free/paid/classmate missions as they come up, so months drag on longer for me).

And let's be blunt about it...the characterization in this game sucks. Period. As sick as some people are of hearing this game's name come up but Persona 3 PSP does High School interaction stories with PCs and NPCs on such a far better level while still managing to have just as fun gameplay as VC II...they really had no excuse for getting this lazy with the writing and the presentation.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it. I disagree that the smaller maps are an issue. They feel just right for this game IMO. The problem I have comes from how many times they recycle the same freaking map. XP I swear it feels like there's 6-8 maps they just reuse with a unique one popping up rarely for story sequences. Granted those might not even be unique and they'll just recycle them again later in the game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:47:09 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 09:41:04 PM »

It tries so hard to be Persona and fails so thoroughly. The combat is still fun, but the battles aren't designed nearly as well as they were in VCI. Most feel the same. And they seem to think making it more complex (weather, etc.) makes it better. Wrong.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »

Did they forget to program weather effects or are the changes it causes just that minimal? Every time there's supposed to be something crippling to my accuracy, like snow or fog or night time, I find everyone still shoots just fine...maybe I over leveled for those maps. >.<;
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »

Well, I don't think snow or night are supposed to affect accuracy.  Snow affects your healing rate and night reduces visibility for spotting enemies.

Fog definitely does have an effect.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »

Maybe it's just the way I'm playing or gear I have equipped then. I tend to close range for the easy headshot kills regardless of weather. And my tank pretty much never misses unless someone ducks. XP Although speaking of which...did the April storyline battle pull a cheapshot for anyone else?

It says in Turn 1 "Capture the Bases but avoid Baldren". I think okay, so it's like Dirk's battle and fiddle with my character's on the alternate starting point. Enemy's turn 1 rolls around and Baldren barks some order, then teleports onto the starting map and proceeds to charge right towards the starting point (where only the tank has moved that turn) and slaughters a character; then proceeds to run away but then does this again with his next CP!

The only way I kept from having my team constantly killed was to waste all of Turn 2 and part of Turn 3 (probably could've killed him Turn 2 if he hadn't ducked about 2-3 times) pumping CP into my tank to blow him away with multiple shots. Avoid Baldren my exhaust port. How do you avoid someone that can cross an entire map and pretty much heat seeks/teleports after you like Jason from Friday the 13th? ~.~; *sigh* At least the map was fairly easy after I killed him.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:58:29 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2010, 12:17:19 AM »

Yeah, Baldren was super cheap.  It's one thing to have a power enemy unit, but Baldren was super power and so mobile you couldn't even plan around him.  I found the best way to deal with him was to use a fencer (which are kind of cheap in their own right) and just whack him until he went down.

As far as closing for headshot kills, that's the way I've always done it.  That's the way you should do it.  I've still noticed the fog effect, though.  It's pretty big.  Tanks in general seem a lot more accurate in this game compared to the first one, but that's fine with me.  They seemed awfully inaccurate in the first one.  Still, screw the tank body.  APCs are awesome in this game.  And an ACP with a lancer in it is better at taking out enemy armor than a tank is ;)

On another note, I don't get why people keep comparing this game to Persona.  They're completely different things as far as I'm concerned.  About the only thing they have in common is the school setting, and this is a military academy not a normal high school.  If you think about it the Persona games really only focused on a handful of characters while VC2 attempts to give a unique personality and backstory to every single member of your class.  There are like 30 people in my squad right now and they keep adding more!  It shouldn't come as much of a surprise, then, that they can be pretty stereotypical.  But even then once you interact with them more and do their character missions I think at least some of them grow out of their stereotypes a bit.  But all that stuff is completely optional, anyway.  You don't have to talk to them at all.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2010, 12:55:49 AM »

The reason I make the comparison is because they both use the "socialize with fellow high schoolers for more power" mechanic.

VCII: You get 4 small cutscenes with each character including a slightly more difficult than average battle. These cutscenes are rather short and only do little besides generate a tiny story arc that's very predictable. The only payout is a new randomly triggered special ability.

Persona: You get 10 cutscenes (not counting the character introduction) with each social link that lasts a good 2-4 minutes with emotionally involved story lines as well as the ability to chose your own response. Payouts include new powers, new skills for party members, and your choice of main character x person for a relationship.

While I wouldn't want VCII to be a Persona clone I do think they could've taken a few lessons from them. Also the character count is pretty similar actually. You have 19 members in your squad selection (thus the ones most people will want to interact with) to have interaction with in VC II. In Persona 3 Portable you have 23 different social link opportunities, not counting the Elizabeth/Theodore escapades. I know I'm going into deep opinion territory here but there is something very wrong with a game's writing and/or design when a freaking dog (Koro-chan, P3P) has more backstory, screen time,  and reason to care about it than a person you're supposed to go to war and possible die with (Lotte and Rene so far have some of the worst offenses in "didn't really evolve" story arcs I've gotten through so far; Vicki is coming dangerously close to competing with them and the idol-wannabe Stormtrooper is a good runner up).

Also I'm not sure I would say you don't "have" to talk to character in VCII considering that if you don't their "negative powers" can be pretty crippling. Especially the ones that suddenly drain all of your AP without warning.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:00:49 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2010, 01:58:36 AM »

I see where you are coming from, but social links are a far more integral part of the Persona experience.  Without them what would you even have?  Mediocre dungeon crawls through random dungeons.  It wouldn't be half the game without the social links.  The combat is not that compelling.

I have put about 20 hours into VC2 now and I've probably spent 90% of it either in combat or upgrading/customizing my squad.  The conversations are a pretty minor part of the game, just there to add some flavor.  You said so yourself that there's just '4 small cutscenes with each character'.  I am not convinced the game would even benefit from Persona levels of interaction with the characters.  That would get in the way.  I'm playing it for the combat first and foremost.

There is one other point I will disagree with.  You may only have 19 members in your squad at a time but with the ability to set up multiple rosters that you can freely switch between for different missions there is really no reason not to use everyone unless you specifically want to focus on a few characters  (which is a perfectly valid approach).

KisakiProject

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »

I'm at the end of September.  I've put about 27 hours into it which is more than it took me to beat the first.   I really enjoy the smaller battles.  Probably because 10-30 minute strategy are a lot less frustrating than the hour long stress fest that was the fist. 

In regards to the story it in and of itself is good enough.  The problem is the characters.  They are just meh.   All this japanime influence is really unfortunate.  Of course we saw this coming when the anime dumbed down the original game's story for the otaku.  Seriously I wonder if this game was original going to be about the army fighting the civil war and the bean counters from sammy that took Sega over were like "no we need more otaku/persona/dating sim/ living in our parent's basement and less budget"

That being said I'm having an absolute blast playing the game.  The transition to portable in my opinion is perfect.  Its absolutely great. I've yet to try out multi-player but seems like it would be a ton of fun.

I think part of the problem is this game is VC2 instead of VC Gaiden.  If it was a side game I think I would be less threatened by the story.  However at least Alicia and Welkin don't act like idiots.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »

People are comparing it to Persona because it's begging to be compared to Persona.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 12:22:47 AM »

Anyone do Joachim's story mission?  This is the first mission I have encountered in this game that has me completely stumped.

It's easy enough to get to the third map, but once you're there here is the problem:  There is a gatling bunker on the far hill completely overlooking the route you need to take and there is absolutely no way to sneak around behind it from your starting position.  Furthermore you are not allowed to deploy a tank on this map at all.

The gatling bunker has the perfect vantage point and enough range to ensure it will make swiss cheese out of any infantry that you try to send towards the objective and if attacking from the front you will need something like 15 rockets from lancers to destroy it, which obviously isn't practical.  One thing you can do is send an armored tech straight at the bunker because their shields will protect them, but they don't have any weapons that could actually hurt the bunker so this doesn't serve any purpose as far as I can see.  Unfortunately the objective is in the opposite direction from the bunker and there is no way to make your armored tech walk backwards...

So other than continually shelling the damn thing from far away with lancers (and getting a terrible score because of how many turns it would take) I don't see a solution to this map.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 01:39:27 AM »

Wow, big never mind there...tried the mission again and the gatling bunker that was making my life so miserable wasn't there at all.  Apparently it was a random thing (though it had been there the first couple of times I tried).

That's just ridiculous.  Suddenly the mission went from impossible to trivial.  Beat it in two turns.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »

People are comparing it to Persona because it's begging to be compared to Persona.

Everything is begging to be compared to Persona because I have a Mara for Persona.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: