Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:39:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  About Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: About Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2...  (Read 4390 times)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »

I went into a local retailer just now and found both DDS 1 and 2 at a fairly cheap price. Since I played almost every SMT game out there, are these 2 games worth getting?

Nocturne was awesome even with the minimalist approach to storytelling, and DDS seems very similar gameplay-wise to Nocturne. Some basic info on both games would be appreciated with your opinions. You know stuff like length of game and quality of story, gameplay and music.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 12:46:57 PM »

In short, yes, DD1 and 2 are worth getting. I think a lot of people have said that those two games are their favorites of the SMT series itself.

I think each game is about 40 hours long, though I can't say for sure. The stories quality is fantastic, though it becomes a bit incoherent near the end in typical JRPG gonna fuck with your head and defy logic fashion. Battles, as always with SMT, are fun. There aren't a lot of puzzles to solve, if any at all, other than flip switch to open door.

Can't comment on the music, game music has never been my thing. I wasn't displeased with it though. I just don't remember it.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »

Definitely play these games! Two of my favorite games of all time. Starmongoose covered the bulk of it already. Some people say the second isn't as good as the first, but I didn't really find much difference in quality. The music is definitely better in the second game than the first, but both games have fantastic music. I would find the OST if I were you.

Check out the reviews on the site for the first game if you still aren't sure. The review for the second game has spoilers, so don't read that one.

"Oh, a hunter..."
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »

Thanks guys for the very informative replies. By the way, I just checked RPGFan review scores to avoid any kind of spoilers like you suggested, but aren't those scores a little overrating the games? Guess I'll find out myself once I get them both later today.

And about the music, I think I found my answer...
Holy shit

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »

I just recently picked up DDS1 myself having never played, and so far I must say that the hype around this game was and is justified. Great game so far and thoroughly enjoying myself.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »

are these 2 games worth getting?

GO GET THEM RIGHT THE FUCK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW!!!!!!!!!

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

Yeah, that's the battle music to the second game. Definitely the best battle theme ever, IMO. I would rate the games anywhere between an 85-90. They're very good.

Also, this is one of my favorite things Meguro has ever written. It's short, but it's just so perfect. I always play it when I'm walking around in the city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dBjxeh4oF0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:26:11 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »

DDS2 has poorer dungeon designs and the setting isn't really as atmospheric or mysterious as the Junkyard. On the other hand, its battle system, character building mechanics, and character development are much improved. They don't really have the rampant sort of perfectionism that Nocturne had, and I'm not sure I ever really loved the whole eat-demons-to-get-bonus-AP thing, but... Two of the best games on the PS2, in any case.

(I'd also recommend Devil Summoner 2: Raidou v. Abaddon, especially if you can find a copy with the plush).

Also Karma City is sort of Boards of Canadaish. It's like Roygbiv meets Deus Ex's Chinatown theme, if you will.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »

I went into a local retailer just now and found both DDS 1 and 2 at a fairly cheap price. Since I played almost every SMT game out there, are these 2 games worth getting?

It's a good thing you didn't pass these up.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:21:56 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »

Thanks guys for the very informative replies. By the way, I just checked RPGFan review scores to avoid any kind of spoilers like you suggested, but aren't those scores a little overrating the games? Guess I'll find out myself once I get them both later today.

And about the music, I think I found my answer...
Holy shit

As the reviewer in question, looking back on scores I set almost five years ago?

No, I didn't overrate them.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »

are these 2 games worth getting?

GO GET THEM RIGHT THE FUCK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW!!!!!!!!!

Those were my exact sentiments, when I read the first post. :P

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

This is the first time I've read that DDS2 has better music than the first game. I mean, the soundtrack of DDS1 is perfect to hear while you are on the street minding your own business.

The soundtrack of DDS2 is too loud at times. But the tracks that are good, are really fucking good.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »

Story was crazy for both.  Graphics were awesome.  Battles were fast and rewarding.  The battle music is the best part (music wise, the 2nd opening's Engrish leaves much to be desired). Keep Gale in your party a lot in the 2nd game. 

Puzzles aren't anything deep; I do hate the dungeon where that tit-horse-monster follows you, though.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »

Puzzles aren't anything deep; I do hate the dungeon where that tit-horse-monster follows you, though.

Oh my God, is it an indication of how much of a pussy I am that that part scares me shitless?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 03:33:32 PM »

Oh my God, is it an indication of how much of a pussy I am that that part scares me shitless?

Haha!!  I squealed a bit!  It was the final room, and he was RIGHT behind me!!  The instant-kill is bad enough.
It was the same with in Zelda: Oca of Time, those stupid lancing pigs charging in the forest scared the absolute shit out of me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: