Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:59:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  There's no MMO like your first.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: There's no MMO like your first.  (Read 6165 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:39 AM »

Star Wars galaxies for me. I had picked the Swordsman class at the time, expecting to become a Jedi later. I realize how stupid that sounds now, a class wielding hammers called Swordsman that wasn't even a Jedi. 

As the game had planets instead of particular zones, I remember the game feeling unimaginably huge and large. I spent weeks on Tatooine alone, barely knowing what in god's name I was doing. Using the auction house confused me, so I stuck to buying locally sold products. I met another newbie and we went on grand adventures exploring Tatooine. Laughing at wookies that didn't learn to speak our language yet, coming upon player cities that were almost always empty, but had the most interestingly crafted houses with displays of NPCs and items. One time we came upon a higher level character beating up a Bantha herd, we were shocked and childishly tried to harass him about how awesome he was.

Eventually I got a better idea of what the game's structure was like. Unbalanced classes, Doctor buffs that trivialized level and effort, people using afk macros to farm up class skills, and the unholy Jedi grind. At this point, the magic died.

It's such a great feeling, entering the online world, or -a- online world for the first time. I felt similar things playing WoW for the first time. At launch, everyone leveled together, it was an entire community with the goal of having fun. I can say I proudly fought in the Hogger Wars, tackling that son of a bitch with a large ragtag team of players in the single digit levels was damn amusing.

I've tried other MMOs since then, but none of them have really given me that same *new* feeling. Maybe I'm too old now or too experienced, but I'm still waiting for something to shock me. That immersion factor is a huge draw in Roleplayiing games, and its great to feel with other players.

What was your first MMO?
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:56:05 AM »

Guild Wars.

It was fun at the time. Then I played WoW.

But I've played a ton over the years. Mostly free online ones. Some are good, but most are crappy.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:07:45 AM »

My first was PSO, but as far as persistent worlds it would be good old Rubi-Ka from Anarchy Online. I still get chills when I think about my first days there. They still have some of the best art design and music in an MMO IMHO. I miss the feeling of wonder and with every MMO these days having protracted betas (blatant PR) it sucks some of that wonderment away from you.

But yeah, I think your right, there's just nothing like your first, even though we try to recapture that magic, it just isn't the same. It's like virginity really lol.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »

Hey watch the V-word, some people here.. y'know.

I think its just the feeling of experiencing something new really, with the anticipation to look forward to more. I agree Betas ruin some of the wonder, that is why I quit playing any betas. I didn't even apply for the FF14 or TOR betas. I figure I'll ride out the hype and then give it a free trial when they come available instead of struggling through laggy test servers and incomplete games.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 03:51:46 AM »

Totally agree, though between rampant fanboyism and the fact that it's one of my jobs here :) I can't really escape. I don't think betas are bad if they don't show all their cards. I didn't mind being limited to LL in FFXIV beta but 4 months from alpha into beta and then having it blown wide open for the OBT has made Eorzea a bit of an overused prostitute for me right now lol. There's nothing left to the imagination for the first steps into the new world.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 05:33:57 AM »

First online RPG was Diablo II, which I played the shit out of. Then it was PSO, which I played even more. First MMO was FFXI, though.

It isn't even just the first MMO, more like the first few months of playing, where it really feels like you're on an adventure in this new world. I think the problem is that now fellow players are more unforgiving, they require you to go out and read and understand how the game works...to me, that really takes away some of the magic. I don't think I've achieved that same feeling I had for XI those first few months of playing it with any other MMO, and I doubt I will again.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »

Ultima Online.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »

WoW was my first. Got talked into playing it by my  college roommate my first year there. Was alright but took a while for me to get used to it. I think what I would consider my "first" MMO though by attachment standards is Mabinogi. About a year after I stopped playing WoW I stumbled across the Closed Beta application and got in. Totally threw myself into the game just to enjoy it for all it was worth. I actually was one of the top Bug Busters for Closed and got a nice chunk of Amazon credit for my trouble. Stuck with the game for about 6-8 months enjoying the heck out of the community until it just all kinda fell apart. :-/

Elitist as it sounds I sometimes wish certain games would never let the mass public in just so all the good people aren't driven off. XP *sigh* Ah well, that's the way of online communities.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »

I played Diablo 1 with one other friend using dialup, lol. I remember we would be playing and have the entire town area covered in gold (since we would just drop out loot on the ground and go back down for more) only to have someone call one of us and lose the connection, thus losing the entire gold town we had built.

First MMO was WoW using free servers, lol. First one I paid for was FF11, made a relationship collapse so I havent touched it since. Its still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »

I realized that my I had played another MMO before SWG..

Graal Online. Haha, it was originally called Zelda Online, it's a total ripoff of the Zelda: Link to the Past turned into a MMO. I was in elementary school playing it and I would wait like 10 minutes for my 56k modem to connect to the servers.
Tsi Aileron

113308759 TsiAileron@hotmail.com Tsi+Aileron TsiAileron
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »

Ultima Online.

Same. Man, those were good times....until EA fucked it up.

Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »

Everquest and Asheron's Call.

Yep, even back then, I wasn't faithful to any one MMO :P
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 04:23:02 PM »

Ragnarok online was my first. Cute, fun, but flawed and never really left beta. Took up most of my gaming time and I eventually decided it wasn't good enough to justify the single player games I was missing out on. And, thanks to Dark Cloud 2 being awesome, it was a pretty clean cut.

So for me really there's no MMO like your second: FFXI. It was great. Really, I have more bad things than good to say about it. But it was still great anyway :P

Then wow, partly for getting tired of FFXI and partly because...everyone else left FFXI. A better game than FFXI in almost all respects, but there was that something missing. If I play wow I'm sitting at my computer playing a fun game. When I played FFXI I was immersed in vanadiel. At least partially that was because FFXI had a certain 'something'. Part of it may or may not have also been because it was my first MMO, not counting Hats: The Game.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »

The Matrix Online.  It was actually kinda cool.  There wasn't a whole lot of content but the community got together and created alot of their own events.  Not a whole lot of people played, maybe 200 on my server?  But I didn't know that was considered "dead" back then, it was my first =D
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:27 PM »

I started on Ultima Online too. Played on some shards called Zuluhotel, real fun shit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: