Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 12:15:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332727 Posts in 13632 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS BACK!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS BACK!!!  (Read 14275 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

FUASIFHADJKLGHSDJKGHASDJKHGk
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »

yay

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:44:19 PM »

It's probably going to be shite if it does, in fact, come out. It was supposedly state of the art stuff but that was around a decade ago.  It's in the 'polishing' phase now but I'll be surprised if it's anything above mediocre.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:26 PM »

Hopefully they'll include the other two games as well.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »

It's probably going to be shite if it does, in fact, come out. It was supposedly state of the art stuff but that was around a decade ago.  It's in the 'polishing' phase now but I'll be surprised if it's anything above mediocre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GhB1jm6Kxs
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »

It was supposedly state of the art stuff but that was around a decade ago.

The DNF of today has nothing to do with the DNF of a decade ago.  One of the reasons it is so delayed is because the whole thing has been rewritten from scratch several times.

Which is not to say that it will necessarily be a good game, but it doesn't have to suck either.

It's supposably playable at PAX but I'm not clear on whether that's just for press or open to the public.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »

It changed hands to a more reliable developer, it'll actually come out! But it's in the same position as Prey, at this point it's officially a dead concept resurrected to make an entirely new game.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »

thoren will probably still be excited about this even a few years after it gets released
and thus, it shall be delayed until a billion years from now

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »

It just needs to die already.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »

There's the shock value of it actually coming out, but when that passes I think at this point Duke has lost his cool.

Or maybe the people who played Duke games ten years ago grew up and aren't cool anymore. Either way, unless they put out a 5 star game I can't really see it making a impact.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »

The demo starts with a first person view of the urinal. You can make Duke urinate as much as you want. The wait is over!

Well, no that's not what this game is about. You're in a football locker room. There are a couple of hot tubs and, in the main area, some soldiers gearing up for a fight. On the whiteboard they plan their move against the beast on the field. Their strategy: cockblock. You can draw on the whiteboard. I drew straight lines. But on another TV playing the game here at PAX I saw someone drawing a penis.

The game is 100% in the spirit of classic Duke. By this point in the demo you've been hit with "Hail to the King, Baby," and sooner or later he's whistling, laughing at the bad guys he kills and lamenting that "Those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my ride."

When you leave the locker room, you race down some halls where aliens are fighting soldiers. These scripted sequences show some of the destructibility (mostly of your allies' limbs) and the smoke and explosion effects in the game. The effects look modern, though not beyond what we see in other games.

Out in the field, things became more impressive. A massive monster the big aliens seen in leaked Duke artwork is stomping across the grass. You've gone from just having your fists up to being armed with The Devastator, a big gun in each hand. Health is regenerative and the big bad guy wasn't that tough in the demo. I unloaded my ammo into him, waited for the next ammo drop, and then fired some more. Duke finished him with a button-prompted melee move.

The finale: press a button to do a "field goal," which is a punt of the monster's eye down the field.

Cue the Duke Nukem Forever logo and a camera pulls back to show that Duke, in first-person, was playing a video game. He's got a gold Xbox 360 controller with the face buttons re-named as D, U, K and E. There's a busty lady in a schoolgirl outfit near the bottom of your first-person view. And there's a second one. One stands up and wipes her mouth.

"What about the game, was it any good?" one of them asks.

"Yeah, but after 12 fucking years it should be," he answers.

http://kotaku.com/5629782/duke-nukem-forever-impressions-two-girls-one-duke?skyline=true&s=i
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 03:36:50 AM »

Having played DN3D pretty recently, and while I guess the game got a lot of attention for the sophomoric humor and boobies, the level design was undeniably strong and the actual gameplay was really good.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »

I can't believe it still exists, let alone that it was actually playable. I have some fond memories of DN3D, you just had to be there.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »

DN3D was a very solid game.  It's not just about cheesy one-liners.  The multiplayer was a blast, too, thanks to all the cool toys at your disposal.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »

I can see them making some money off the game. I mean, what kind of geek wouldn't want to have an altar at home with a premium edition DNF cd resting on it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: