Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 05:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327347 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS BACK!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS BACK!!!  (Read 14047 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 18, 2011, 03:36:15 PM »

The whole layout of the game feels archaic as well. There's no real dynamism here. Levels feel pretty much like they did in Duke 3D, and that's not a good thing with how far level design has come in recent years.

Except Duke3D DID have dynamic levels, there were at least a few different routes and secret passageways in just the first two stages (admittedly the ones that stick to mind the most). Not that you aren't right about DNF's stages lacking dynamism, at least going by the demo, but it's not from being the same as Duke3D. This is why I am baffled at criticisms of being antiquated, this kind of bland linear design is more a facet of modern FPS design, namely from Call of Duty and similar such games that funnel you from point A to point B and can even penalize you for daring to take your time, the closest I can get to older FPS design is from games like Bioshock where exploration is a key part of the game, and the upcoming Deus Ex looks to be in a similar position.

Not going to defend the graphics by the way, but what can you expect from a game this long in development?
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »

Ugh....I'll still get it probably....its a shame it turned out so bad....
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »

i was showed a certain scene and needless to say i wont be going anywhere near this game. too bad since duke nukem 64 was one of my favorite multiplayer games on n64.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »

Duly noted
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »

Its a tad ironic that people here are complaining about the game being "old" when its anything but that. Its actually one of its biggest offences. Fans wanted an oldschool game. Duke is not an oldschool game, its a modern shooter. From what Ive seen, it has regenerating health, two gun at a time limit, canned animations and its linear to a fault.The only thing that's slightly dated are the graphics.

This. I usually don't get on the OLDSCHOOL WAS ALWAYS BETTER, NEW IS ALWAYS BAD bandwagon, but with FPSes, that, as far as I know, really has been the trend*. D3D was about big, explorable levels with lots of interactive bits, hidden areas, different approaches to things, an really interesting architecture. I've not played DNF, but the impression I get is that it could basically just be a CoDBlops mod.

That and D3D, if you use an engine mod that gives proper mouse aim, isn't... particularly outdated feeling anyway.

Also consolization isn't a valid complaint. Consoles FPSes having really shitty and overly straightforward levels is pretty new, as well. Metroid Prime didn't, by any means, have simplistic levels or dumbed-down mechanics. Neither did a lot of those obscure PSX FPSes that I love but nobody else has ever played.

* Sort of. More mainstreamish FPSes, yes. On the other hand you still get stuff like STALKER coming out, which thrills me. Also I think I'm the only person that thought the original Painkiller was really boring compared to like, Serious Sam, which it was basically aping, but whatever.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2011, 11:16:28 PM »

*scratches head*

The west now makes the best RPGs, and the east now makes the best shooters with dick jokes (Shadows of the Damned).

The time for Duke Nukem to be outsourced to Japan is upon us.. bring on Duke Nukem JRPG (official title).

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2011, 12:23:01 AM »

Duke is standing still each time he jumps?
EDF, EDF.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »

The only reason I would pick this up would be to watch my wife's jaw fall off.

That might be the most entertaining thing abou this game...

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »

Well i've gone out and bought since I have loads of store credit at EB. This IS what I expected of the next DN, so no big surprises. It's just stupid fun, let's just say it's allot better then bullet storm where the homophobia is for real,
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »

12 years in development for this game and it shows - it feels like a game that should have been released 12 years ago. Not a good thing.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »

12 years in development for this game and it shows - it feels like a game that should have been released 12 years ago. Not a good thing.

Except stuff like 2 weapon limits weren't in effect in 1999 (it was announced in 1997 by the way), and stages weren't quite that linear then. At best it feels like the worst of the old combined with the worst of the new, but I'd say it's more accurate that this feels like something that was rushed to the 360's launch, but that'd be unfair to Perfect Dark Zero.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2011, 07:04:56 AM »

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »

Half life 3 will blow our minds, you can bet on it.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »

It's hard to believe that it's already been four years since Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was released.  Half-Life 3 is going to be AMAZING......whenever it does get announced/released.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »

Wow, all this talk about how AMAZING a game that hasn't even been announced yet... That's a lot of faith in a title, the funny thing is that with expectations so high, its bound to be a massive disappointment to most of the people that are hyping it up now.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: