Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327449 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS BACK!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER IS BACK!!!  (Read 14054 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »

It's more that Valve has kept proving themselves even while not releasing Episode 3/HL3. That, and I don't think they'll be caught in the same trap that killed DNF (constantly trying to design the game to be as cutting edge as possible, only to end up looking awful and being being little more than a cookie cutter shooter).

Also: I wonder if there's ANYONE who really matches the person in the comic. I think most people kinda hoped it'd actually be a good game, and those who were still really anticipating it seem to be the only ones who loved it.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »

Valve has an actual design process which, while it takes awhile, has always produced quality titles. With as many proverbial chefs as have been in the proverbial soup of DNF, it would be difficult to say there has been any cohesive design process whatsoever.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »

Another example from Valve: Team Fortress 2. DNF would've probably benefitted A LOT from the developers stopping, looking at how much FPSes have progressed compared their own title, then decide to effectively reboot the whole thing and stick their classic, established gameplay and modernize it a bit rather than stick futilely to that original product.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

Valve has been fairly consistent, Ill give them that. But as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't justify hyping a game that hasn't even been announced yet. Proclaiming how amazing and mind blowing a non existent product is just doesn't make any sense to me.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

I don't hype up alot of things and the ones I hyped myself over, (Shadow of the Colossus, Sega Dreamcast, Grandia II, Chrono Cross and Shenmue) turned out to be amazing games to me.  I just don't like how most people today, have to go to metacritic to see if this game got an 89 or a 96.  Clearly the 96 games are going to be better than the 89 games and I wouldn't dare touch the 89 game over the 96 one. (sarcastic voice)

Sorry, I like my 65 games like Opoona and my 58 games like Way of the Samurai 3. 

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2011, 01:18:29 AM »

I don't hype up alot of things and the ones I hyped myself over, (Shadow of the Colossus, Sega Dreamcast, Grandia II, Chrono Cross and Shenmue) turned out to be amazing games to me.  I just don't like how most people today, have to go to metacritic to see if this game got an 89 or a 96.  Clearly the 96 games are going to be better than the 89 games and I wouldn't dare touch the 89 game over the 96 one. (sarcastic voice)

Sorry, I like my 65 games like Opoona and my 58 games like Way of the Samurai 3. 

You actually did like "Way of the Samurai 3"? I thought it was great, Which reminds me that 4 has been released and will have to be my next import
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »

I own Way of the Samurai 1-3 and Samurai Western, so what's that tell you? :) 

I want Way of the Samurai 4 so bad because it's going back to it's roots from the 1st game.  Customization seems to be much better this time, guns, weapon customization have returned but much improved, you can perform stealth assassin missions like in Tenchu, you can be tortured XD, just read what the wiki says and there are plans for a western localization and i'll be getting it for the PS3 regardless since I own the others on the PS2/3. All i'm saying, is that if the localization turns out good, this could very well be the best in the series :)

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »

Sales lower than anticipated.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »

It doesn't surprise me, but there will be more Duke on the table.  Its still fun to ME, that's all that matters.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »

I do hope Gearbox decides to go for something of a retro throwback. All the weapons you can carry, levels that are somewhat non-linear and open to exploration, and maybe even stuff like healthpacks, but designed it with modern technology and design wisdom. Just don't coast off of his personality, which next to no one likes these days.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:32 PM »

How about appeal to the female audience? Duchesse Nukem? Sounds a bit like douche, people will love it.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »

This was kind of amusing.

http://www.dorkly.com/video/17993/duke-nukem

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2011, 11:13:03 PM »

Best video ever.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2011, 01:13:28 AM »

That was very funny :D

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: