Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 11:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Who is the most manliest JRPG hero?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Who is the most manliest JRPG hero?  (Read 10678 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »

Easily Meis Triumph from Thousand Arms.  He dates every girl in his party and even keeps girlfriends in multiple towns.  He's a playa pimp!  A lot of RPG characters talk about being womanizers (i.e. Irvine, Zidane, Edgar) but Meis walks the walk and will steal everyone's girlfriend.  He even gets thrown out of a house by the husband of a cougar wife who hanky-pankies with him yet still maintains a satisfied grin.  Plus he's not an emotionally distraught whiny drama queen.  Okay, he's a little whiny in the beginning, but he gets over himself after studying with Jyabil- the manliest mentor who makes Meis manly. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »

X from Megaman X Command Mission, though he may lose on the whole technicality of he's a robot, therefore not manly.

I'm gonna put a suggestion in here and hopefully not get attacked for it, but the main character of radiata stories, Jack, is pretty manly I think. Dude runs around town kicking everyone and beating the hell out of them for it. If that's not manly, I don't know what is.

TASTY!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »

I love how manly seems to mean womanizing asshole with a violent streak and no sense of self-preservation. :)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 06:20:25 PM »

I love how manly seems to mean womanizing asshole with a violent streak and no sense of self-preservation. :)

What else would it mean?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »

Yeah yeah, Balthier, Cid 7, Man-Ape Nier... and has anyone said Vesperia's Yuri??  Or is he disqualified for looking like a woman at first glance?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 06:45:15 PM »

Yeah yeah, Balthier, Cid 7, Man-Ape Nier... and has anyone said Vesperia's Yuri??  Or is he disqualified for looking like a woman at first glance?

Funny, I actually thought Yuri but I didn't say it for precisely that reason.  He's a total badass, though.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 07:12:46 PM »

Easily Meis Triumph from Thousand Arms.  He dates every girl in his party and even keeps girlfriends in multiple towns.  He's a playa pimp!  A lot of RPG characters talk about being womanizers (i.e. Irvine, Zidane, Edgar) but Meis walks the walk and will steal everyone's girlfriend.  He even gets thrown out of a house by the husband of a cougar wife who hanky-pankies with him yet still maintains a satisfied grin.  Plus he's not an emotionally distraught whiny drama queen.  Okay, he's a little whiny in the beginning, but he gets over himself after studying with Jyabil- the manliest mentor who makes Meis manly. 

Meis, like every other Harem Sausage, falls into one of two defining catagories, a doormat or functionally retarded (in Meis's case, he's the former). So far the manliness harem protagonist I've seen in video games is the main character of AT3 on account of being willing to go into battle in naught but one of those sumo wrestler's loin wraps. Also he uses a transforming drill spear as a weapon which counts for something. I guess Riveria's Ein could be an exception given the fact that Ein is a dick. (Oh and Jyabil could've been replaced by a rock and nobody would've been the wiser.)

As for Cid and Barret, only Cid really counts given that he gets to be the leader for a short while. Barret could've died along side Aerith and would have had about the same amount of overall relevancy that he had while alive. Most FF characters fall into this where the party will head to the next destination X where X = random party member's region of origin - plot relevant regions. The typical formula works out to be...

For (X = RPM - PR)
  RPM > 0
Next (X + 1, RPM -1)

Of course there are anomalies like in FFVIII where destination X is shared by everybody save for Rinoa and flashback characters such as Laguna, and is plot relevant (kinda?). Or FFX's Auron who is a douchebag dramaqueen by hording the big plot twist for himself until after the fact than says that he's known all along (then laughs at you under his breath for making you enact a faux drama fueled quest for absolutely no goddamn reason whatsoever).

Too bad SRPG heroes don't count because some of FE's characters and many SRW originals could easily fit into the manly badass roles (and some of the females too).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »

The Hero from Dragon Warrior 1.  He rescues the princess, and then proceeds to carry her 3/4 of the way across the WHOLE world, ALL the way back to the castle =D
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »

The Hero from Dragon Warrior 1.  He rescues the princess, and then proceeds to carry her 3/4 of the way across the WHOLE world, ALL the way back to the castle =D

Dragon Quest? More like vah-jay-jay quest m i rite?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 03:43:47 AM »

Manliness has nothing to do with looks, it's all about the BURNING SOUL inside.

Oh, like Saint Seiya! There's a Saint Seiya RPG IIRC.

Because this thread needs more awesome: Saint Seiya opening song
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 06:39:19 AM »

I guess technically since a couple Three Kingdoms games have been RPGs Liu Bei would be a manliest JRPG Hero.

Though I'm pretty sure Three Kingdoms is the only time a man with any sort of beard is allowed to be the main character in a JRPG, so it doesn't really count.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »

I'm saying Yuri, now. How could I forget a fellow long-haired male?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »

Guts from Berserk. I know the 2 Berserk games might not be classified as RPG by some of you, but if you read the manga, you know what I mean.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 05:33:39 PM »

Dragon Quest? More like vah-jay-jay quest m i rite?

Haha! Every dude on Earth stars in their own RPG by this very same name XD
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 05:37:23 PM »

I was gonna say Yuri as well.  I liked him quite a bit as a character.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: