Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 07:24:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327456 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Men who play as female characters.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Men who play as female characters.  (Read 8251 times)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »

In my general experience, males who play female characters in MMORPGs are usually a bit weird or fucked up. They just aren't regular level-headed people. There are exceptions of course, a lot of people play both genders, but if you EXCLUSIVELY play female characters like its some kind of mission, you're probably a disgusting nerd.

I say it increases in terms of player type of guys who play girl characters:

PvPers/PKers = Those who play female characters usually don't give a shit
PvE/Raiders = Probably a weird nerd or kind of a strange person.
Roleplayers = Stay far the fuck away
I couldn't agree more. Men who exclusively play female characters are usually fucking wierd or disgusting nerd. The worst case in in MMORPGs like Thoren said.

Single player games are a bit different. I personally can not play Mass Effect as female character, it just doesn't fit for me. But, I'll probably play Dragon Age 2 as a female because I want to try and emulate my favorite female fantasy characters.

I have never made a female character in a MMORPG and never will. I don't understand why people make it a mission to play all female characters in a game like WoW. And don't get me started on the people who try to convince everyone they are females, man it is just too fucking creepy. When I see another male character in WoW, I salute them for being a real man and not saying they rolled a female character because "her animations are better" blah blah stfu man! You know the only reason you play as a female is because you're fucking creepy and weird.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »

I've never exclusively played female characters, just something I've been toying around with lately. If I played mmorpgs I would probably stick to my gender.

Are people that play females exclusively sick or twisted? If anyone reads knights of the dinner table I'm reminded of Gordo :)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 02:01:00 AM »

Are people that play females exclusively sick or twisted?

No. They're making generalisations.

As previously stated, I primarily play female characters (some of the exceptions that spring to mind are Fable II, Mass Effect and Neverwinter Nights). I don't really remember why I started playing them, but it's just became normal for me now. If I get a gender selection in a game I click female without even thinking twice.

That said, my male Draenei Shaman in WoW looks pretty cool.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, it's the same for me playing an archer. If there is an option for an archer-styled class, I pick it without thinking twice (exception being Demon's Souls).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:05:29 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 02:15:10 AM »

I don't like how games don't impose gender roles on the player, ESPECIALLY in Fantasy games. I get it, equality, but the theme of gender can go a long way in making a play through as a male or female different. And I don't mean in a sexist "fuck women" kind of way either. A woman and Man should be able to approach certain situations very differently.

The most you get these days is different romance options.

Remember in Star Ocean 2 when you could play two characters?

I also remember being sexually harassed as a woman PC in Morrowind.

Good times.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »

I almost always choose a female protagonist because even in the early days of role playing the girl always had a more interesting storyline than the boy.  One recent exception may be Hexyz Force where the boy has a more dynamic storyline.  And even the few times I tried table top I often drew the short straw and took one for the team making a girl character.  Sure I whined about it, but I was generally okay with it and eventually just really started having fun with it.  Or even when I was a little kid and we'd play Spiderman and his Amazing Friends, I was always stuck being Firestar.  Again, I whined, but I took one for the team and soon started picking Firestar of my own volition.  

With fighting games, I usually select a female character first since I'm more about speed and technique.  But whatever fighter I most gel with is the fighter I most gel with, be it male, female, whatever.  

The first time I played an online RPG (Phantasy Star Online), I never intended to play a female character.  Someone on the forums I intended to play with urged that I create a Force since there was a severe lack of mages.  I didn't like how the male Forces, the FOnewms looked.  I liked the FOmarl (human female mage) looked and when I was reassured that playing a female character was no big deal, I went for it and DezaMistique was born.  My handle here, at the time, was Blademaster Dezo so I feminized it to Deza and when I polled the populace, "Mistique" was the last name of choice for her. 

Since then, I'll always create a female avatar in an RPG when given the choice.  It forces me to expand my mind and think differently about how she would assess situations.  I spend 24-7-52-365 as a guy so creating a male avatar for an escapist RPG feels redundant to me.  Playing opposite gender really makes the fantasy world feel more "foreign" to me, you know?  I find that immersive.

...and if a female character I roleplay as is attractive, 'tis a nice bonus.  Icing on the cake if you will.  And I like big butts and I cannot lie:P

EDIT: And what's interesting to me is that more guys role-play with female avatars than women role-play with male avatars.    
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:45:34 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »

I always play a male character in MMOs, but sometimes I'll make a female character, female-ize my main's name (like Archendrus -> Archendria), and stick her in the guild for shits and lols =D
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:42 PM »

If I played a female character because of sexual preference, I think I'd be too distracted all of the time.

Even in FF7, which I am currently replaying, I'm mentally critiquing Tifa's curves and comparing them with Aeris, thinking about how I wanted Cloud to hook up with Aeris during that first playthrough years ago.  Now, it's like "damn Tifa got dat ass"

Wait now, who are we calling weird again?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »

My main Shepard is male, but I certainly don't mind watching his ass ;).  That said, I don't prefer to play either gender. I usually have a character idea, and base my character on that.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:14 PM »

In a couple of single player games that let me choose gender, I tend to pick female in the notion of thinking "eh, why not?" just for a change of pace and mess around.

With MMOs, I do usually play as a male for no particular reason(s) other than simply feeling right about it when interacting with other players. Thinking about this, I wonder if there are females playing as male characters around? Probably to avoid dealing with some unneeded attention perhaps.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »

I am a man who plays as male characters so I can watch their ass the entire time. There aren't many worth watching, but a few.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »

I am a man who plays as male characters so I can watch their ass the entire time. There aren't many worth watching, but a few.
Lol, true.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 11:20:42 AM »

My main Shepard is male, but I certainly don't mind watching his ass ;).  That said, I don't prefer to play either gender. I usually have a character idea, and base my character on that.

Lol you get enough of Miranda's ass in one playthrough anyways
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »

Well, I can imagine that with MMOs, it's a little different because you're interacting with other people. I've never played them, so I really don't know.

But I often choose to play female characters in offline games, partially because it's so rare that I get to! Most jRPG heros are guys (save Celles, Terra, and Lighting), and don't offer customization. When I do get the chance, I enjoy playing females because its different. Unfortunately, even when they give you the option (like Bioware or Bathesda), usually it doesn't feel right. I played Mass Effect 1 through once with a female, and it just felt wrong. All of the scenes and everything felt like they were meant for a guy. I played again through with the stock male character and it felt A LOT better. Dragon Age was worse, with the thin female character running around with her arms looking like she was 300lbs.

I'd just like more non-customizable RPGs to have females as the leads. That part of FFXIII really worked (even if you didn't like most of the game)/

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:30 PM »

Lol you get enough of Miranda's ass in one playthrough anyways

If I had her ass I'd show it off too!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »

I also play as a female most of the time. Actually, the only ones lately that I'm playing as a male are Dragon Age and ME2 because I was a female on my first playthrough.  It's just basically become habit with me to automatically select female most of the time. It may go back to the SF series because I'm basically a hardcore Cammy player since she was introduced.  Weird how I've never considered this until now.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: