Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 04:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330050 Posts in 13525 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Men who play as female characters.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Men who play as female characters.  (Read 8440 times)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 04:03:03 PM »

I'll just go on the record and say that men who play as females the majority of the time, are creepy, disturbed, or sexually deprived individuals. There are exceptions because this is a generalization.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 04:07:10 PM »

I'll just go on the record and say that men who play as females the majority of the time, are creepy, disturbed, or sexually deprived individuals. There are exceptions because this is a generalization.

I assume you have conducted conclusive research on this subject? Could you post some of your statistics and findings? Also how do we quantify "Creepy"? I look forward to reading your papers.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2010, 04:58:06 PM »

I assume you have conducted conclusive research on this subject? Could you post some of your statistics and findings? Also how do we quantify "Creepy"? I look forward to reading your papers.
I'm going to PM you 892 pages on the subject. Microsoft Word okay with you?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »

I'm going to PM you 892 pages on the subject. Microsoft Word okay with you?

I look forward to it. ;)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »

It's all good. I'd be willing to bet that there are some pretty brutal generalizations out there regarding folks who frequent RPG forums.

Fortunately we are all more enlightened than that! :-)
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

It's all good. I'd be willing to bet that there are some pretty brutal generalizations out there regarding folks who frequent RPG forums.

Fortunately we are all more enlightened than that! :-)
There is nothing wrong with people who frequent RPG forums. Now excuse me while I write a 2page post on how I think women in JRPGs should show more skin. =)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »

There is nothing wrong with people who frequent RPG forums. Now excuse me while I write a 2page post on how I think women in JRPGs should show more skin. =)

Look forward to Ar Tonelico 3 then!

Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 08:10:56 PM »

Nah there's definitely something wrong with everyone that posts on rpg forums.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »

To be fair I did play WoW for a long time, and have played in guilds ranging from top 50, to social, upper-mid tier and leading my own mid-level raiding guild.

I won't say all, but a LOT of real girls are a lot mediocre at best at the game. They're also ticking dramabombs waiting to happen. When I see a well composed, normal girl who is good at playing an MMO, knows her shit, but doesnt have a mic.. I get a bit suspicious of her real gender.
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:34 AM »

Aliena of WoW's Tankspot.com video fame -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LXUZe-mDes&feature=channel -- plays on my server and is the main healer of the 152nd guild in the world. She definitely knows her shit and is definitely female.

The generalizations/accusations in this thread are ridiculous. My main in WoW is a female paladin, and I'm not socially repressed, sexually deprived, disturbed, nor a creepy person. You claim legitimate arguments based on the fact that you're using "generalizations". Well, speaking as someone who actually plays WoW on a raiders schedule and knows a number of WoW players in my everyday life, I would say that "generally" the creepy ones are the vast, vast minority. Additionally, I would generalize that anyone who claims that men who play female avatars in MMO's have something wrong with them should take a serious look at their own mental state, and maybe re-evaluate some of their beliefs, because I sense some serious underlying misogyny/sexism. Also, grow the fuck up.

As to the topic that started this trolling session, I picked my Paladin to be female for a number of reasons. I wanted to play a Paladin, and be Horde, so Blood Elf was my only choice. I had a male Blood Elf Rogue. I disliked many of the animations/voices/emotes/etc, and so female it was. Also, sometimes I like to role play in a role playing game--not in the RP server sense, but rather I play an avatar that is in some way different than myself--in this case, female. I don't pretend to be female in real life when talking to others.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:19 AM »

What does Aliena have to do with anything I said? lol

And 152nd is great but still months off from real top tier guilds.

Edit: Unless you're a paladin you really shouldn't play Blood Elf, ever. I will concede that Melfs are terrible unless played ironically. If you don't race change come cataclysm you will be shunned forever though.

And about girls..  I dunno man girls are drama bombs. First they're all nice, and then they wipe you a few times, or suck so bad you have to kick them, but they take a few of their internet boyfriends with them. Or you get one with her boyfriend as a package deal, and when one leaves the other does. Or she cheats on her boyfriend/husband with another guy in the guild, and moves to be with that guy, AND THEN THEY ALL PLAY TOGETHER STILL until it all goes down in a giant guild collapsing fiery ball of drama.

Well, speaking as someone who actually plays WoW on a raiders schedule and knows a number of WoW players in my everyday life, I would say that "generally" the creepy ones are the vast, vast minority. Additionally, I would generalize that anyone who claims that men who play female avatars in MMO's have something wrong with them should take a serious look at their own mental state, and maybe re-evaluate some of their beliefs, because I sense some serious underlying misogyny/sexism. Also, grow the fuck up.

You play WoW on a schedule. Why are you telling us to re-evaluate our lives?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:03:00 AM by Thoren » Logged
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2010, 03:33:57 AM »

[...]real girls are a lot mediocre at best at the game.

That's what Aliena has to do with what you said. While it's true that the 152nd guild in the world is at a totally different level than the top 20, it doesn't necessarily mean the caliber of player is different, simply the time investment. If you look at the top guilds in the world, all of their applications make it quite clear that you're expected to completely rearrange your life around raiding progression--essentially to put a game ahead of all other aspects of life. To generalize female MMOers, and by extension, female gamers as a whole as less competent than male gamers--based purely on their gender--is not only completely wrong, but downright sexist.

I will concede that their are drama-bomb-attention-whoring female WoW players who are generally awful at the game. My guild has one of those, and god knows why we haven't gotten rid of her when even the GM can't stand her. But the fact is, I've run into male players who cause just as much if not more drama in a guild, they just don't use internet sex-appeal to do it and therefore garner less attention from the masses. Doesn't mean they can't break up guilds, cause stupid cliques within guilds, raise hell about whatever stupid shit has pissed them off this week, etc.

I play WoW on a schedule the same way I play recreational sports on a schedule. You raid/practice/have a game at a certain time on certain nights of the week, but on the other hand the world will not end if you've got some sort of real life issue that needs to be dealt with. Don't confuse "raiding schedule" with "life built around raiding".

On the other hand, misogyny and sexism are pretty undesirable traits in anyone and you might wanna deal with your obvious issues with women.

Edit: Unless you're a paladin you really shouldn't play Blood Elf, ever. I will concede that Melfs are terrible unless played ironically. If you don't race change come cataclysm you will be shunned forever though.

My Paladin will be staying Blood Elf. If I wanted to be a cow tank I would have rolled a Tauren Warrior.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:35:31 AM by Ragnarok-Sabin » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2010, 03:49:30 AM »

why are you still givin thoren serious responses
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2010, 04:02:36 AM »

[...]real girls are a lot mediocre at best at the game.

That's what Aliena has to do with what you said.

Oh come on man..

I won't say all, but a LOT of real girls are a lot mediocre at best at the game.

And for the record I am not misogynistic at all, these are just anecdotal observations.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »

What does Aliena have to do with anything I said? lol

And 152nd is great but still months off from real top tier guilds.

And about girls..  I dunno man girls are drama bombs. First they're all nice, and then they wipe you a few times, or suck so bad you have to kick them, but they take a few of their internet boyfriends with them. Or you get one with her boyfriend as a package deal, and when one leaves the other does. Or she cheats on her boyfriend/husband with another guy in the guild, and moves to be with that guy, AND THEN THEY ALL PLAY TOGETHER STILL until it all goes down in a giant guild collapsing fiery ball of drama.

Well, speaking as someone who actually plays WoW on a raiders schedule and knows a number of WoW players in my everyday life, I would say that "generally" the creepy ones are the vast, vast minority. Additionally, I would generalize that anyone who claims that men who play female avatars in MMO's have something wrong with them should take a serious look at their own mental state, and maybe re-evaluate some of their beliefs, because I sense some serious underlying misogyny/sexism. Also, grow the fuck up.

"Oh that's your boyfriend?"..."Yeah, we haven't met though".
"Why did you leave the guild?"..."Because my boyfriend left."
Heard those more than once.
But seriously Ragnarok, you want to play the role of a female and you play WoW on a schedule.
That is all.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: