Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335235 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Need some soundtrack recommendations pls :3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need some soundtrack recommendations pls :3  (Read 922 times)
wyndslash

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:06:45 AM »

I was not a very avid fan of video games (at least, didn't have the time). but i did manage to play chrono cross and saga frontier 2. i love the SF music, and i also have CC and FF music. however, i would love other game ost recommendations :)
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »

Chrono Trigger has a fantastic soundtrack, you'll probably like it if you liked Chrono Cross'. I would also recommend Xenogears (same composer as the Chrono games).

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Omnifinity

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »

Personally, I think very few soundtracks can match up with Legend of Legaia's, RPG wise anyway. Each track is very fitting to wherever in-game it is played <3
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »

If you liked SF2, it is probably because you like the composer (Hamauzu) and his compositional style.

So immediately that makes FF10, FF13, Sigma Harmonics, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (and its arrange album), Samurai Legend Musashi, Unlimited SaGa, and Dirge of Cerberus worthy contenders for your next purchase.

If you liked Chrono Cross, this too is likely an affinity to the composer. Unfortunately, it is not just my opinion but that of many people that Mitsuda's music has gone downhill steadily since Chrono Cross, or maybe Xenosaga Ep I. I did enjoy his soundtracks to Soma Bringer and, to an extent, Armodyne. But he's been struggling to make awesome music in the last few years. I don't know that Mitsuda will ever re-create the magic of the Chrono games or Xenogears.

If you want to stick with things you already like, it works well to just stick with the Square Enix discography. If you want to try something completely outside of what you like, I'd suggest looking into three other companies and their respective games' OSTs:

1) Falcom. The "sound team jdk" is just a mask-grouping for a variety of composers that change over time. But whether it's old or new, it's good. Ys I or Ys SEVEN, it's great music. I highly recommend almost anything Falcom you can get your hands on!

2) Shin Megami Tensei. This music is almost entirely handled by Shoji Meguro these days, but older stuff includes a variety of other, also awesome, composers. SMT also includes Digital Devil Saga, Persona, Devil Summoner, and others. This is great stuff, usually there's a lot of funk and rhythm to this stuff.

3) Gust Sound Team. This is the Atelier series and Ar tonelico. Try out the audio samples on this site and see what you think. I immediately would point you to Atelier Iris, Atelier Totori, and the first two hymmnos albums for Ar tonelico.

Good luck out there! It's a lot of music to wade through, and there's lots of bad mixed in with the good!

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »

For Yasunoti Mitsuda  the Chrono Cross /Trigger composer look into getting the Kirite soundtrack, and i know i am going to get burned at the stake for saying this, but i actually liked the Armodyne's  soundtrack as a whole more then Xenogears. Xenogear's ost has some outstanding pieces, but i find myself skipping alot of the tracks on the ost. I really think Armodyne is a solid work that gets alot of hate because most people have not played the game or that it does not have xeno anywhere in the title.  If you like Yasunori's celtic styled work check out Tsugunai: Atonement or Xenogears: Creid.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: