Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 08:08:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334782 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I just discovered a JRPG I'd never heard of...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I just discovered a JRPG I'd never heard of...  (Read 1660 times)
Kup

« on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »

Soul Nomad & The World Eaters.

Here's the English trailer for those of you who, like myself, hadn't heard of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kao2ANHTJVU

I was shocked when I realised I hadn't heard of this, especially since it was released a few years after Disgaea, which I loved and played to death.  So I marched straight to ebay and bought a copy to teach it a lesson.  I even found out that it had a PAL release and that shocked me further.

My question is: what's the general feeling about this game?  The trailer looked nuts, and I'm all about massive combos and massive damage.  How does it play?  There appears to be some kind of elemental world battle system going on which looks interesting and original.

I'm beginning to wonder how many more niche RPGS like this have fallen under my radar!?  Please, if there are any that hold a place dear in your heart, tell me!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37:14 AM »

I thought it was boring. Played it around a year ago.

Story was somewhat interesting (I liked Gig) and the gameplay is very in-depth (read: complicated [If you like that sort of thing]). But overall, I just wasn't that impressed.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »

you should look through reviews to find games like this
since you hadn't heard of that, you also may not have heard of a few more by NIS
Makai Kingdom
La Pucelle
Phantom Brave
Rhapsody
ZHP and Cladun (coming soon to NA)

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:06:22 PM »

I started playing it but I had such a big backlog at the time that it ended up being swallowed by other games. Seemed interesting though.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »

I started playing it but I had such a big backlog at the time that it ended up being swallowed by other games. Seemed interesting though.

Same thing. Played very little of it, and I probably was expecting a little more of it, maybe another Disgaea. If I'm not mistaken I was playing Odin Sphere back then, so this got to the side.

About the title of the thread, it seems like there's always an RPG I've never heard about. Just these past couple days I heard of this game called Recettear, which has just been localized and it seems fun, it's geared toward item creation, so it's kind of hit or miss. But the voice acting has been removed because the localizing company couldn't pay for the rights to the voices .... (Yeah, as weird as it sounds) but at least there's a demo, so I'll give it a shot in the future.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:58:56 PM »

If you buy the player's guide, my name's in the credits!  Hooray for me!

I thought the game was decidedly meh.  It's just another NIS grindfest.  After going through Disgaea, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom I was pretty burnt out on them, though, so perhaps my opinion is a bit skewed.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:29 PM »

Worth noting that the "demon path" which is unlocked after the first playthrough is the best 'play as the bad guy' scenario ever made.
If you game over in it, heroes rejoice of your defeat =)

Edit:
For those that played the game but never finished it, I actually have most of the endings on my Youtube if interested.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=73472D5076C1238E
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:24:53 PM by Annubis » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

I actually really liked the game. I had played this before Disgaea so that may play a part. Although it is pretty humorous the game can get pretty dark.

Worth nothing that the "demon path" which is unlocked after the first playthrough is the best 'play as the bad guy' scenario ever made.

I thought evil mode was pretty awesome. I was expecting it to be average anti hero stuff but five minutes in and all hell is breaking loose. The main character is a psychopath even though he sleeps through most of the mode.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: