Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:04:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334685 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  New Devil May Cry, bitches.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 Print
Author Topic: New Devil May Cry, bitches.  (Read 49616 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #330 on: January 21, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »

From personal experience, review events are relatively common, though you usually go home with a copy of the game. We attended a review event for Deus Ex Human Revolution, but the difference was that it was a few weeks before the release of the game and Stephen went home with a copy to play. That being said, review events where you don't walk away with code?  Those are pretty bullshit. Usually just for very large titles where they think there's a very significant chance of piracy, but I completely agree that playing a game in a studio isn't a replacement for the experience at home.  I still love preview events, though.  One of my favorite RPGFan memories is playing Reckoning at Big Huge Games and watching the developers go from station to station observing all the different journalists playing and taking notes and asking questions.  Those guys really did love that game.

Review events might be common, but review events where they put you up in a luxury resort for three days and give you helicopter rides are another matter.  It's pretty impossible to think that you're going to be able to give an unbiased opinion of the game in those circumstances.

Hell, I can't even play devil's advocate on that one, much less defend it.  That's almost collusion.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: January 21, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »

I just realized another thing I really like about DmC.  In an era where action games are being flooded with QTEs, there are none to be found in this game.

And I am very pleased with that.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: January 21, 2013, 10:36:28 PM »

I really enjoyed this game. The combat is not as hardcore and skill intensive as DMC3/4, but it's still very enjoyable and as a whole this game is way better made than the previous games. The story and presentation are leaps better (although some of the dialogue is still kind of stupid, they kind of paid homage to the series in that way I guess). I've already got 100% completion on every level, beat all the secret mission, and am replaying the game on Son of Sparda difficulty and I can't recall liking any of the previous games enough to do all the extras. I pretty much played through the story and was done. They've also set this up for what would be a kick ass sequel if it ever gets made (sales are not on the same level as DMC4 apparently from multiple sources. It opened up at #1 in the UK last week, but sales were 1/3 of DMC4 and this game was developed in the UK). Everyone saying reviewers were paid off, I've loved the series from the beginning and this game along with DMC3 are the top of the series honestly. I think overall, this game is the most complete, but DMC3 has the best combat and a close second on presentation with the story etc.

Edit: I forgot to mention how much better the level design is compared the rest of the games as well. Literally no back tracking, the platforming is much better and utilizes the surroundings much better, and hardly no annoying puzzles that slow the game to a screeching halt. Don't get me wrong, I like puzzles when done right, but in a fast paced game like this it gets annoying when all you want to do is smash some face. The pacing is just SO much better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:45:09 PM by Blace » Logged

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: January 21, 2013, 11:25:09 PM »

I guess this is a late reply, but it does look like a fun action game and I get story is never a big thing for this series, though it genuinely seems to think it's witty but for me at least it comes off as if its dialogue were made by a 12-year-old that thinks being witty is overusage of f-bombs.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: January 22, 2013, 12:15:52 AM »

Its certainly not Shakespeare but the story is enjoyable to a certain point even when there's barely (if any) memorable moments. Honestly, if you are more into the original series you are just gonna end up scratching your head at this game even if you like and appreciate what Ninja Theory pull off with the support from Capcom.

A lot of people seemed to get offended by the way Lilith was killed though...
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »

I guess this is a late reply, but it does look like a fun action game and I get story is never a big thing for this series, though it genuinely seems to think it's witty but for me at least it comes off as if its dialogue were made by a 12-year-old that thinks being witty is overusage of f-bombs.

It's not so much that it thinks it is witty, but it's more of a tongue in cheek thing where they clearly know that story isn't what the most important aspect is so they are still gonna have their cheesy silly moments (a series staple at this point, like I said kind of paying homage to the original series), but also still knowing that the story drives the game forward. I personally enjoyed the story and laughed at Dante and Succubuss saying Fuck you back and forth to each other, but I can also see where that could grate on people's nerves. I like cheesy B movie horror flicks too so it is right up my alley.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »

It's not so much that it thinks it is witty, but it's more of a tongue in cheek thing where they clearly know that story isn't what the most important aspect is so they are still gonna have their cheesy silly moments (a series staple at this point, like I said kind of paying homage to the original series), but also still knowing that the story drives the game forward. I personally enjoyed the story and laughed at Dante and Succubuss saying Fuck you back and forth to each other, but I can also see where that could grate on people's nerves. I like cheesy B movie horror flicks too so it is right up my alley.

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN  THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARKSOULWITHLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: January 22, 2013, 12:42:59 AM »

You know, DMC (1) was honestly the only game that took its story and characters seriously. I'm pretty sure that Kamiya did when he was working on it, what ruins it is some of the voice acting and dialogue that could have been slightly better.

Also the same problem happened with Bayonetta. People in all their infinite wisdom say that the story of Bayonetta is nonsense, but there are videos and a few interviews too I think of him talking in a serious tone about the story and characters of Bayo. He also says sorry if its too difficult to understand said story.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2013, 01:03:47 AM »

Yeah, poor Kamiya.  I just can't for the life of me figure out why people don't take his stuff more seriously.

Oh.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »

Well for one he's is not Jonathan Blow. But I'm pretty sure he is satisfied when players enjoy the games he has worked on not only for its mechanics but for their characters and what not.

Also he really seems to like Space Harrier. Like, a lot.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2013, 09:01:34 PM »

i think people are mad because of why they THINK capcom went this route. its believed capcom badly wants to court the CoD fanbase. and they even referenced wanting CoD sales numbers in an interview about RE:ORC.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »

Nobody is stupid enough to believe that.

Right?

Right?

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »

Nobody is stupid enough to believe that.

Right?

Right?

I think Capcom legitimately wants to get bigger sales, and they realized courting a western audience is a solid plan for that. But they're having an identity crisis, and that's why you're ending up with things like RE6 that try to have it both ways. I think contracting Ninja Theory was a legitimate decision to say "we want to make a DmC that will have a wider appeal in the West." Whether or not you believe that methodology is effective, though-- that's the rub. I don't actually think it WILL be all that effective. Explosive CoD-like sales just aren't the norm.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »

DMC was huge series in Japan and this one probably will barely register on the charts simply because it is a western developed game now. If they truly wanted bigger sales, they would not have done this. I think they just wanted a new game for the franchise that was more universal and addressed some of the complaints levied at the franchise the past 10 years or so and realized that in order to do that they needed a new development team to be responsible for it... it just so happened it became a reboot that everyone loves to hate before even playing it because it changed things.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »

I think it's actually more that the original development team REALLY wanted to do something different (Dragon's Dogma), and rather than force a new developer to closely follow in their footsteps in every regard they FORCED them to cut loose stylistically while being generally faithful to the gameplay people liked (though admittedly not enough for the hardcore fans, but that's really not a surprise). If the developers were willing to do another DMC rather than make Dragon's Dogma we probably would've gotten a more traditional DMC5 instead.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: