Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:57:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334685 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  New Devil May Cry, bitches.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 Print
Author Topic: New Devil May Cry, bitches.  (Read 49612 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: February 05, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »

Yeah, it's a shame. It's a huge step up from DMC4. I hope it does well on pc.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: February 05, 2013, 03:57:42 PM »

Capcom almost halves DmC sales expectations -- Source: MCV UK

"Capcom had originally forecast sales of 2m units by the end of its financial year. That has now been lowered to just 1.2m units, Eurogamer reports.

In its first week on sale in the UK the game sold just a third of the number of copies shifted by its predecessor Devil May Cry 4 in the same time period. In Japan it managed around half the sales of DMC4.

It's potentially a sad end to a tale brought about very much by the fans themselves. Anyone who played Devil May Cry 4 must surely of seen how desperately the IP needed an injection of new ideas and modernisation which is exactly what the skilful Ninja Theory achieved.

Yet the fans revolted because Capcom dared to reinvent its IP for the 21st century and dared to change the colour of Dante's hair. Its really very sad.

A headline suggested by a colleague: "Devil May Cry fans destroy brand out of spite." That about covers it."

This guy is full of shit.

Yeah, it's a shame. It's a huge step up from DMC4.

That's arguable.

DmC is an above average action game that fails as a DMC game, is pretty much  "a random action game with the name of popular series on the box". Same thing happened with Silent Hill years ago.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:02:33 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

That guy isn't 100% wrong, Yggdrasil. The fanbase butchered the game well before it was released. I'm not saying this game was vastly better than any other DMC title, but the reboot deserves far more respect than it's getting. It's a solid game, good music and gameplay, same shitass devil may cry story. Fuck, even dante feels familiar enough as far as the DMC3 version goes. I don't understand the outrage here, meanwhile so many people were okay with UMvC3 and SSFIV, both of which actually deserved a huge amount of criticism. You got a new game here, familiar yet different and actually worth the money spent on it.

TASTY!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: February 05, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »

This game is far superior to DMC4 in terms of design. They ran out of ideas in DMC4 and just had you play through the same crap again as Dante and the levels were repetitive. DmC levels are constantly changing in limbo and the platforming is done so much better. You could say the fighting isn't as in depth, but it's still quite good and more than satisfying. Then we get to presentation, where Ninja Theory absolutely demolished the old games. The voice acting is much better, the story is better (although still carries that cheesy B movie charm of its predecessors), and the art style/atmosphere is constantly evolving and changing with limbo. What Ninja Theory did is quite admirable and the ill feelings towards this game are just so pathetic. Oh man Dante looks different, terrible game!!

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: February 05, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »

I like more the part about the 'exaggerated sense of nostalgia', I've seen a bunch of that in the last few years. The entire thing of people discussing the state of the series is pretty boring to follow though since a part of all that mess is about different perspectives, how people over the years have experienced the games, where it can go from there and also how the expectations from players crashes with the vision of the team that worked on the game.

ヾ(*ー`)ノ whatever...

A fascinating quote from an individual in the Final Fantasy thread.  It's interesting how well it applies here!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »

@Blace: The entire point of DMC4 was to offer a great combat system that the player could play around with for a long time and it did that very well, everything else outside of that was lackluster maybe with the exception of the characterization of the characters but I take that as subjective.

Capcom for DMC5 should have expanded more in the ideas that DMC4 had while taking the combat system and presenting new weapons or characters with a new fighting style since the main story of the series still offers room for creative freedom IMO.

A fascinating quote from an individual in the Final Fantasy thread.  It's interesting how well it applies here!

I know right?

Edit: Seriously though, that post was more in the line of: The FF community is talking about all this stuff for years and years because they are far too alienated thanks to multiple decisions took in the past, and XIII along with XIII-2 was too much for a lot of fans. I'm pretty sure that there is people at SQEX that know about this and in a way it depends on them if future projects is going to ruin their reputation more with the Western fanbase or not.

The "Whatever..." part is me not caring much about all of this since I've already had my share of the entire drama with FF.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 11:13:51 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »

I bought this game, we'll see how well it does this weekend...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: February 05, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »

Tameem Antoniades: 'I don't care if it sells a thousand units or two million' -- Source: PS3 Center

Can't say I disagree with what he says. *shrug*

The "[Does] the franchise has enough fans to create sales, whatever they do to it?" part though is something to consider. Then again, you have to wonder how much Bayo 2 is really going to sell on the Wii U as the next big new action game that we know so far.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »

Spent some time with this game and I'm digging it. Not DMC3 caliber, for sure, but I place it above DMC4. Maybe even DMC1.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #369 on: February 09, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »

Just got a copy of this for $20 on PC. Hell yeah.

EDIT:

I've finished four missions. This game is awesome. Screw the hating. Maybe I can't dodge frame hyper animation cancel anymore, but I'm still having blast killing stuff. Not disappointed by this in the slightest. I'd be happy to see both styles of DMC continue on.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:34:42 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »

I dig this game, man.  If it maintains this level of excellence throughout, I'd easily put it down as one of the best games in the series, surpassed only by the greatness of DMC3.  NewDante gets on my nerves, but the game itself is largely faultless.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »

I wish everyone else wasn't simple minded and appreciated this game more like everyone in the forum. I hate talking to people in the public about it because they are childs and treat me as the outcast just because I think this game is better than pretty much anything Capcom did with the series themselves.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

I still enjoy DmC1 and love DMC3, but this game is just flat-out fun, and that's the reason I play games, period.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2013, 11:54:05 PM »

I wish everyone else wasn't simple minded and appreciated this game more like everyone in the forum. I hate talking to people in the public about it because they are childs and treat me as the outcast just because I think this game is better than pretty much anything Capcom did with the series themselves.

I doubt I'd go that far, but I do think that considering the circumstances here (original team was busy making an awesome action RPG, rather than booted or whatever) I don't see any good reason to resent the game, and it seemingly didn't mangle the gameplay for non-highend play.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: February 13, 2013, 12:40:50 AM »

@Blace: All we wanted was crazy party. There is no party in DmC. :(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:45:08 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: