Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 07:13:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329735 Posts in 13517 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Disgaea 4 Announced and Trailer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Disgaea 4 Announced and Trailer  (Read 4380 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »

Is it worth playing the first 2-3 games?

If you liked the first one, you should play the second one (first game has a better cast though and the playable characters are a bit more balanced).

If you end up liking both a lot and want more, you could play the third.  Personally I'd find more fun in the meta-game of the first or second than I would playing the third one.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:35 PM »

Same old; but I don't think it'll stop fans from liking it - and yeah, the online bit it pretty sweet.
The improved graphics are welcome, but hard to say more than that for them - the game looks ridiculous (don't know if I mean that in a good way; looks like they're taking what they initially had and just adding crack cocaine to it)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 02:44:43 AM »

Finally got around to watching the trailer. It "almost" makes me regret not getting a PS3 again. It's interesting but honestly I'll just watch Youtube for the highlights. After 3 games Disgaea's going to have to do something really major to impress me. That and now that I'm no longer in school I really don't have the endless hours required to grind on such a game for all the story tidbits. Honestly I wish they'd focus on the classes then on the combat gimmicks like Magi-Change (or whatever the proper name is for turning monsters into weapons) or tower acrobatics. It feels like they're focusing more on the things you'll never really "need" to use in the game and ignoring the core elements over the past 3 installments. (I've never had to do anything more complicated than basic tossing to progress in the games.)

Something like "Two New and Unique Human Classes!" would interest me far more than "We made our monster (weapons) grow! And you can hold two of them!".
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 09:07:48 AM »

I say play it until you reach level 500 or so. Its the typical Disagea story (mainly humor)  and lasts about 20ish hours . The bonus missions are decent and Rasberyl Chapters are fun too. But I don't suggest burning yourself out, I put maybe 70hours into it and I can't say that much enjoyment came past the 35hour mark.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »

I've been waiting for a new Disgaea game. Fucking love them. It can't come out fast enough.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »

Graphically, it looks beautiful. A lot of the smaller companies seem to be getting better now.  Gust's titles are looking great, the detail in Totori's models is very impressive.  Even IF is (slowly) improving graphically, but they've never been known for change.

As for the D3 comments, I've never really understood the hate for the game.  Almaz is probably the only "hero" character in the series that I've enjoyed, though admittedly, Gordon was amusing. I also found the gameplay to be the best of the bunch.  I loved how they actually made more Geo puzzles.  There was more thinking involved in the levels, something D1 (and to a lesser extent, D2) lacked. I never had to grind to beat the game either.

At the very least, it looks more entertaining to me than Criminal Girls.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »

for me to be interested they would have to do something about geo puzzles. i just wanna own shit without getting cock blocked by geo puzzles. or they could put in Gig!

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »

I like geo puzzles...

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »

i hated them with a passion in D2 since if done incorrectly they could prevent you from completing the stage.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »

In my opinion, it should be like that.  You're supposed to think ahead.  You can't win every battle the first time.

I don't particularly remember any Geo Panel puzzle stopping me from completing a stage, though.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 10:59:10 PM »

In my opinion, it should be like that.  You're supposed to think ahead.  You can't win every battle the first time.

I don't particularly remember any Geo Panel puzzle stopping me from completing a stage, though.

Yeah, me neither.  The thing with Disgaea's story mode is that it's too easy to power through without geo-panels.  I like that the geo-panels add a bit of strategy to it.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »

My problem with the Disgaea games is that they require way too much grinding and not enough strategy. Almost every battle in Disgaea 1 and 2 just required me to grind up levels and steamroll through enemies. Not what I am looking for in a SRPG.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 11:06:06 PM »

My problem with the Disgaea games is that they require way too much grinding and not enough strategy. Almost every battle in Disgaea 1 and 2 just required me to grind up levels and steamroll through enemies. Not what I am looking for in a SRPG.

I haven't played D1 extensively, but that was not my experience in D2 or D3. If you choose to play "weak" and not level-grind, you can complete the story mode; you will have to play very smart though.

On the other hand, you have the OPTION to level-grind the hell out of your party before continuing the story, and maybe that's the frustration here?

I doubt that's all it is though, since I suspect you enjoy games like FFT, which you could also level-grind exploitatively before doing the story mode if you so chose it.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:58 AM »

Maybe I didn't spend enough time on Disgaea, it just felt so dull and generic.

In FFT I had incredible challenges but always found some way to win using the right strategy. Disgaea's whole NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS thing makes me think it's a grinding game, and if that's untrue I might give D4 a shot.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 01:12:03 AM »

This is the average Disgaea player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZN7KIJDVNg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: