Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 03:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327156 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread  (Read 11253 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:44:40 AM »

I'll start with some clasiscs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc
HA HA HA HA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0
Nappy time, kay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
Lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY
DINNER DINNER
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:26:04 AM »

That one was even more disturbing for me. In British English, a nappy is what we call a diaper.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:32:58 AM »

The FFX one was always stupid. It's embarrassing to watch when you play through the game.

While I do understand why people don't like Lym in Star Ocean, I personally loved her and none of her dialogue ever bothered me.

The Chaos Wars one was hilarious. I've never played it.

The twins in Infinite Undiscovery are stupid, but when Capell started dancing too, I honestly laughed.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »

I personally loved her and none of her dialogue ever bothered me.

After months of contemplation on the issue, I think I've resolved why I just can't like her. I've tried, for the sake of the game, but I just can't.

#1 Why the hell is she even on the ship!?!
#2 I don't mind loli, but gawd don't make them toddlers
#3 Stop scribbling on my ship or I toss you out the airlock (I don't care if we all die in that scene later on, don't scribble on my goddamn ship)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope
An epic tale of humanities survival
... so lets break every rule and get a native of some primal planet in this MILITARY ship, which is HUMANITY'S LAST HOPE, for absolutely no reason other than we became 'friends' (they don't even act like friends) in the last 12 hours top.

/Rant
---------------

I seriously thought this topic was about hentai jRPGs from the title.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:59:20 AM »

Nappy time, kay?

Yeah, that was way worse than anything else you linked to or anyone else could link to in the future.

Also I think that Chaos Edge shit was dubbed like that intentionally as some sort of parody.

But yeah seriously. Star Ocean 4. Never played it but that scene alone is really making me regret my choice of a forum avatar.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »

You got the wrong FFX laughing scene Thoren. (see 7:40 of this clip)

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »

#3 Stop scribbling on my ship or I toss you out the airlock (I don't care if we all die in that scene later on, don't scribble on my goddamn ship)

I love that! Haha.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »

Who needs Mass Effect or Dragon Age when you have games like these.

I sometimes wonder why I ever liked JRPGs.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »

The Megami Tensei thread is over thataway, if you ever want the answer to this problem. :P

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »

Ugh, I feel like the translation sounds so much dumber than the original dub. Really, you really could come up with anything else for "yoroshiku onegashimasu"? So you decided with "Don't forget to smile" instead? Ugh.

This was a youtube response to the Japanese FFX video.

Weeaboos can go eat a bucket of dongs and then keep eating buckets of dongs until they get so fat that they have to amputate their legs just to get over their crippling circulatory issues and then they have to finally sell their PRECIOUS ANIMES on eBay to buy prosthetic legs and only then will they learn the true meaning of Christmas, while the ghost of Geronimo looks on, with one manly tear rolling down his cheek. "You have learned well, my children. Godspeed."

Godspeed, indeed.

BTW there are plenty of WRPGs with crappy acting, namely the ones from the late-dos, early CD-ROM era where FMV was popular but nobody could hire real actors so they just had to get programmers to do it. Sometimes this actually worked pretty well, like with Myst. Sometimes you got sort of cheesy but endearing work, like with, uh... Well, Terra Nova comes to mind since I was just playing it. The actors aren't really good and it's pretty corny there but it's entirely entertaining to watch in spite of that since you can tell they're having fun.

Then you get ones where the guys are talking in obviously lower voices than they naturally have and it's just like good god WHAT, or stuff that's like, outright freaking larping.

(Translations of European games tend to be bad about this. Gothic 2's voices were alright, but Gothic 1's were... not TERRIBLE, but not really good. Arx Fatalis, despite being far from the worst I've ever heard -- and I can't even recall the worst off hand -- is pretty bad. STALKER I thought was actually pretty good even if everyone had this kind of weird Jersey thing going on, although maybe that's just how Russians speak English these days. The only youngish Russian I knew was from New Jersey by means of Siberia so that's like... not a good comparison).

Oh also fucking Oblivion what the hell man. Morrowind had really good voice acting making it even weirder.

Also Septerra's Core.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »

Yeah look at this terrible voice acting from ME2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39OW9SWmB-I
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »

Sometimes you got sort of cheesy but endearing work

Like this.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 02:29:10 PM »

Who needs Mass Effect or Dragon Age when you have games like these.

I sometimes wonder why I ever liked JRPGs.

Because of Megaten? Or Chrono Trigger? Or FFVI? Or Panzer Dragoon Saga? Or Demon's Souls? Or Nier? Or Zelda? Or Vagrant Story?

People suddenly act like there never was a decent game in the entire history of this genre. Not every wrpg is a mass effect or fallout 3 and not every jrpg is a nocturne or demon's souls.
It's ok to make fun of those specific parts because they deserve it but wondering why you ever liked the genre? You'd think SO4 or FFX are the very pinacles of the genre by reading this thread.

Anyway, I avoided SO4 based on those clips alone. The game is fucking retarded, I never liked the franchise anyway but it seems to be getting worse with every new game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:39:23 PM by CDFN » Logged

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »

I like how Thoren only compares the worst JRPGs have to offer to the best WRPGs have to offer and acts like he's making some kind of point...

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »

^I live to entertain
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: