Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 04:51:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327438 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread  (Read 11293 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

FFXII was frantastic :-D

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2010, 02:45:29 PM »

Edit: Just read Dice's post, LMAO! Fucking Square-Enix. The Characters were REALLY bad in FF13, I mean worse than usual. Decent voice acting and good graphics hid it for a while but fucking christ they are so cliched and vapid. The only one I somewhat like personalty-wise is Sazh. The Villains got like no screen time and there was no suspense between the good and bad guys, besides some metaphysical asshole old man that floats around laughing at them then proceeds to get his decorative teeth kicked in.

In short: Fuck FF13

I *love* the character design for the game, hell, even Hope that fucken retard wimp with a Summon that's outclasses him.  I love Jihl, and I put her as my avy...mainly for looks and in spirit only.  Many of the characters COULD have been cool; but they're all about as deep as a puddle.  I like what I see in Jihl...Lightning... (not Serah)... Sazh especially.... but.... well, fuck, what happened?  That's also why I put that little "15 min" thing in the space above my siggy (much like you did when you had Vahn up on your, Thoren)

I love how FF7 had a sort of "episode" in the game that dedicated themselves to story characters.  Red VIII had that bit under Cosmo Canyon to see his pops, Barret had the desert prison, Vincent had some cave-related thing, and Cid had a dream.

FF13 offers this in mostly the form of text in the in-game menu.

Ah well, for those who missed it - read Dicey-chan's thoughts on the JRPG heroes of Final Fantasy!
I gotta study to type anymore.. =(

EDIT: ...though, in terms of character; how far do WRPGs go??
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 02:58:42 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »

I know this is the "Fucking JRPGs" thread, but, man, am I getting tired of the constant FF ragging going on around here lately. It's like if you want to be cool, you have to HATE SquareEnix/Final Fantasy.
Now, I've barely even played FFXIII(maybe 4 hours in), but I like it well enough so far.
Previous to that, I recall enjoying pretty much every single FF game I played. I thought FFXII was fantastic, minus some nitpicks. I may not enjoy them as much nowadays, but that doesn't matter, as I don't replay games.
Some of you people seem impossible to please. They're freakin' video games. Sure, my tastes have changed a bit over the years, and I now gravitate more towards Western style games, but come ON.
If you hate it so much, why talk about it over and over and over again? The constant negativity really is getting tiresome.

No one is hating on Square Enix/Final Fantasy. The only thing I have read is people think the plot/characters have been lackluster and that SE can do better, because they have in the past.
We get it, you love Final Fantasy. People like Dice and Thoren already stated why they "hate" on Final Fantasy and they have pretty valid reasons, others think so too. Instead of saying everyone is hating on the games just to be cool, try telling us why the games are so fantastic.
You just seem like those people that blindly love Final Fantasy for the reason of it being Final Fantasy.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 03:20:47 PM »

Edit: Just read Dice's post, LMAO! Fucking Square-Enix. The Characters were REALLY bad in FF13, I mean worse than usual. Decent voice acting and good graphics hid it for a while but fucking christ they are so cliched and vapid. The only one I somewhat like personalty-wise is Sazh. The Villains got like no screen time and there was no suspense between the good and bad guys, besides some metaphysical asshole old man that floats around laughing at them then proceeds to get his decorative teeth kicked in.

In short: Fuck FF13

I *love* the character design for the game, hell, even Hope that fucken retard wimp with a Summon that's outclasses him.  I love Jihl, and I put her as my avy...mainly for looks and in spirit only.  Many of the characters COULD have been cool; but they're all about as deep as a puddle.  I like what I see in Jihl...Lightning... (not Serah)... Sazh especially.... but.... well, fuck, what happened?  That's also why I put that little "15 min" thing in the space above my siggy (much like you did when you had Vahn up on your, Thoren)

I love how FF7 had a sort of "episode" in the game that dedicated themselves to story characters.  Red VIII had that bit under Cosmo Canyon to see his pops, Barret had the desert prison, Vincent had some cave-related thing, and Cid had a dream.

FF13 offers this in mostly the form of text in the in-game menu.

Ah well, for those who missed it - read Dicey-chan's thoughts on the JRPG heroes of Final Fantasy!
I gotta study to type anymore.. =(

EDIT: ...though, in terms of character; how far do WRPGs go??

Depends on the game. In Mass Effect 2, each character has three aspects:
1) The Recruitment Mission
2) Their Loyalty Mission (Usually more Personal, family related, past related, etc)
3) On-ship Conversations (Used to tell more about personality and past, possibly romance)
So yeah, it's definitely heavy in learning about characters. Every single one is unique and memorable, IMO.

FF13 actually had decent character designs, I will agree with that. Besides Hope and his Mom maybe. "Moms are tough.." jesus christ what were they thinking. For backstory they had those flashbacks, remember? But it was all so poorly tied together.

Think about FF7.. you had the Turks as commonly recurring bad guys with attitude, they were genuinely interesting and had some hilarious moments. You had Rufus. Don Corneo. and of course Sephiroth. Then everyone had their little backstories.. Aeris and Zack, Zack and Cloud, Cloud and Tifa, Barret and Tifa, they were all related somehow in this interesting plot.

Compare that to FF13. You have Jihl, who appears briefly as a typical bitchy hot antagonist with glasses. Yaag, who's name I honestly had to google to remember. Cid, "HEH I'LL APPEAR OUT OF NOWHERE AS A PLOT DEVICE TO HELP THE CHARACTERS" and that old bastard Bartholemew who just appears randomly and somehow convinces the six stupidest people on the planet to do his bidding, which even though is evil and a trap, can be overcome by the POWER OF BELIEVING IN YOURSELF!

Edit: FUCK WRPGs REMIIIIIX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rbBD4qEOs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym6KWDPrN1k&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:26:32 PM by Thoren » Logged
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »

I know this is the "Fucking JRPGs" thread, but, man, am I getting tired of the constant FF ragging going on around here lately. It's like if you want to be cool, you have to HATE SquareEnix/Final Fantasy.
Now, I've barely even played FFXIII(maybe 4 hours in), but I like it well enough so far.
Previous to that, I recall enjoying pretty much every single FF game I played. I thought FFXII was fantastic, minus some nitpicks. I may not enjoy them as much nowadays, but that doesn't matter, as I don't replay games.
Some of you people seem impossible to please. They're freakin' video games. Sure, my tastes have changed a bit over the years, and I now gravitate more towards Western style games, but come ON.
If you hate it so much, why talk about it over and over and over again? The constant negativity really is getting tiresome.

No one is hating on Square Enix/Final Fantasy. The only thing I have read is people think the plot/characters have been lackluster and that SE can do better, because they have in the past.
We get it, you love Final Fantasy. People like Dice and Thoren already stated why they "hate" on Final Fantasy and they have pretty valid reasons, others think so too. Instead of saying everyone is hating on the games just to be cool, try telling us why the games are so fantastic.
You just seem like those people that blindly love Final Fantasy for the reason of it being Final Fantasy.

I don't "love" Final Fantasy. It just seems to me that some people play games looking for things to complain about. I probably would have made this post even if it was a different series getting harped on. It's just the constant "FF___ sucks" that's getting on my nerves.
My game time is very limited nowadays. I play games to be entertained and have fun.
I agree with Kevadu:
You know, if it wasn't for forums like this I wouldn't even know about the not opening chests thing.  I never consult guides and things my first time through a game unless I really am stuck.  Just play it normally and enjoy it.
I also agree with Mr. Thunderbrews post:

The setting up gambits part was what I liked. I mean, that pretty much was the gameplay right? Setting up the gambits for whatever you were trying to accomplish at the time. I'm definitely not in the camp that needs to press "Fight" 100 times, I like the streamlining that the FF series are going for, even if the execution is pretty damn far from perfect. Your point about the watching Friends reruns while running around for example is well taken - if you're going to streamline the combat process with things like gambits (good idea), why do I still need to grind at all (bad idea). Pick a theme and stick with it.

But I thought the boss fights were very fun, trying to tweak your gambits correctly and maximize damage and such I actually did enjoy, especially trying to get things just right for some of the hidden bosses.

There is really nothing I can say to defend the plot - it's pretty silly. But again I'm definitely the gaming type that is more than willing to overlook a dumb plot if I'm enjoying the gameplay itself. There's exceptions that cut both ways on that obviously - a superb story + terrible gameplay, well, I'll suffer through the game if I simply must know what happens next.

But given the option I'll take superb gameplay with horrible plot every time.

-Max Thunderbrew

I'm long past caring about plot lines or characters in video games. There are all sorts of great books and movies for that.
Gameplay is key. Make it simple and fun, and I'm there. Pretty graphics and a great soundtrack also help.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »

I'm long past caring about plot lines or characters in video games. There are all sorts of great books and movies for that.
Gameplay is key. Make it simple and fun, and I'm there. Pretty graphics and a great soundtrack also help.

That opinion is terrible. How about we actually have good stories and characters in games? WHAT AN AMAZING THOUGHT. Imagine if when films wwere created people thought "Good characters and plot in films? Heh. We have books for that. Idiots. I watch movies for short and simple fun. ie piano music with a few lines of text every couple minutes."

Or what if when the printing press was created. "Widespread books? Fucking idiot, we have professional storytellers!"
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

That "Moms are tough" line is something gay that moms would likely, and actually say in real life.   I thought it was a good line; moms just are that cheesy.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »

That opinion is terrible. How about we actually have good stories and characters in games? WHAT AN AMAZING THOUGHT. Imagine if when films were created people thought "Good characters and plot in films? Heh. We have books for that. Idiots. I watch movies for short and simple fun. ie piano music with a few lines of text every couple minutes."

Or what if when the printing press was created. "Widespread books? Fucking idiot, we have professional storytellers!"
I love that my opinion is terrible. It doesn't mean that I don't want better stories and writing. It's just that I don't spend all my time nitpicking the shitty ones. I have more important things to do with my time. Like talk on rpg message boards.
I thoroughly enjoyed Mass Effect 2. Sadly, as we've seen in the writing thread, it is one of the exceptions.
I used to think the FF games were well-written with great plots! Good thing I don't replay games, or my nostalgiac feelings would be hurt.
; - )

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »

A more understandable response from you would have been in the form of:

"I want better plot and characters but gameplay is the most important aspect"

over

"I'm long past caring about plot lines or characters in video games. There are all sorts of great books and movies for that."

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure Cloud and Aeris were only into eachother because they both thought he was Zack.

When in reality he was Cody.

I totally just went there.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »

over

"I'm long past caring about plot lines or characters in video games. There are all sorts of great books and movies for that."

Fuck that man I just wanna kill shit and watch numbers get bigger
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

That "Moms are tough" line is something gay that moms would likely, and actually say in real life.   I thought it was a good line; moms just are that cheesy.

I have to agree.  The line was incredibly lame, which was exactly why it felt realistic.

But on the other hand, that tiny nugget of realism felt out of place in FFXIII...

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »

over

Fuck that man I just wanna kill shit and watch numbers get bigger
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.html?sid=1&forumId=13395581
There you go bro.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2010, 12:18:15 AM »

As flawed as XII is, definitely one of my favorite FFs. I have no doubt that if Matsuno had stayed in the lead we would have received a better game. However, I still think the idea of having Vaan is the point of view for the story could have been a very good one. Sure it hurts the power fantasy of players who want to be the big bad knight, but if they had actually played up the uselessness of Vaan could have been very interesting. Imagine playing FF4 from the perspective Edward except you're not as big of a sissy. I actually think that sounds pretty cool.

That sounds fucking awful. Never say that again.

I'm sick to death with the incompetent hero thing. I want a hero who kicks ass, takes names and still manages to be a nice guy in the end.

I'll say it over again because I think it is a great idea. And you missed the point. You aren't an incompetent hero because you aren't the hero at all. Simply a frame of reference for observing the events as they unfold. Sure you'll help out, but it isn't about you. You'll simply be there providing thoughts, analysis, introspection, and a hand in battle.

That's seems rather novel to me: a videogame where you don't save the world, you just help somebody else do it who gets all the glory.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: