Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:13:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334537 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread  (Read 11998 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 12:43:31 AM »

You think DQ8 and Atlus games compare to Mass Effect 2 in terms of Voice Acting, Writing, and animation? Really? What about Cutscenes where you control the conversation? Oh wait that's called Mass Effect. Interactivity. I just beat the new DLC (Lair of the Shadow Broker) and I thought it had some of the best voice acting in a video game to date, period. Great writing, fun little playful comments while fighting, emotional scenes that really dictate a character's personality, the works. It's not perfect but to call Mass Effect 2's VA and Animaton Bad, well, you must think all games are bad then because this is one of if not the best we've gotten yet in Gaming's history.

Outside of being grammatically correct and using actual words, does anything about the dialogue in Mass Effect seriously strike you as accurately representing how people really talk?

(Dragon Quest 8 was cutsey enough that suspending disbelief wasn't that hard. ME2 is wedged pretty firmly in the uncanny valley).

I thought it was pretty close, especially since you interact with conversations. Feels far more natural than any example you've cited.

Saying that there's a suspension of disbelief does not help your argument. Let's simplify what (I think) you are saying here:

1) Mass Effect 2 has poor writing, animations, voice acting, and characters faces look like Jello
2) Dragon Quest 8 doesn't have as good Writing, Animations, or Voice acting but since it's "cute" it gets judged by lower standards due to a suspension of belief.

Let me make another point: You say that the game isn't realistic to how people talk. Video games are an Entertainment medium. Have you watched any films lately? Read any books? Compare the dialog to talking to someone in person, it's completely different. Why are you trying to argue that a video game should be just like how "real people talk"? I am sorry certain RPGs with actual better graphics, animation, writing and voice acting aren't cute enough to be lowered to your standards.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 01:00:06 AM »

It's mostly because DQ8 is some stupid little animu that doesn't take itself that seriously anyway, whereas ME2 is this big realistic bitch that's affect an air of gravitas and impact. Which one do you THINK unrealistic dialogue is going to look worse in?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 01:06:46 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 01:04:35 AM »

Feel free to correct me, I merely posted how I was interpreting what you were saying. I will take this as a concession of your argument though. Continue the bad voice acting vids!

e: By the way, nothing that I said in my post about your points was taken out of context or modified to serve my own. Most of them are direct paraphrases of your posts.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 02:37:05 AM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the awful conversations in Ar Tolenico 2.

I felt sexually violated hearing the script and not in the good way

I still fail to see how AT2 was that bad. IMO, the original Ar Tonelico still holds that honor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoODv8LVib8

First time I played through the game I went Aurica's route...dear lord I have never been so glad that RPGs are typically single-player games...
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 03:17:14 AM »

Shining Force Neo hands down has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard in my life. As a whole however I can't really say so I have any problems with the voice acting in Japanese RPGs.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »

Persona 3 and 4 and Nier have both well written dialogue and good acting. Anyone who says otherwise is just making a fool out of himself.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 05:13:56 AM »

^Except for Fuuka.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:19 AM »

Who needs Mass Effect or Dragon Age when you have games like these.

I sometimes wonder why I ever liked JRPGs.

Because of Megaten? Or Chrono Trigger? Or FFVI? Or Panzer Dragoon Saga? Or Demon's Souls? Or Nier? Or Zelda? Or Vagrant Story?

People suddenly act like there never was a decent game in the entire history of this genre. Not every wrpg is a mass effect or fallout 3 and not every jrpg is a nocturne or demon's souls.
It's ok to make fun of those specific parts because they deserve it but wondering why you ever liked the genre? You'd think SO4 or FFX are the very pinacles of the genre by reading this thread.

Anyway, I avoided SO4 based on those clips alone. The game is fucking retarded, I never liked the franchise anyway but it seems to be getting worse with every new game.

I don't know, maybe because I grew up and refuse to live in the past? JRPGs were great when I was fucking 13-18 years old, but I outgrew them. My vision isn't blinded by a mist of nostalgia like yours is apparently. But, I can look back and play some of the RPGs I used to love and notice now that they are fucking BAD or sub par. It is people like you who think any JRPG is good just because it is a JRPG.

Even without those videos that Thoren posted, there are still plenty of examples that show that JRPGs are just not that interesting or polished anymore. Yes, even older ones.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 06:14:21 AM »

The way real people talk can't be translated into media anyway. Real world conversation is rife with ad libs and last second changes, something that has no place in a game. Assessing a game is seeing how close it comes to real life conversations, and Mass Effect pretty much comes closest. Closer than any JRPG anyhow.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 08:03:55 AM »

^Except for Fuuka.

And that chairman guy.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »

I don't know, maybe because I grew up and refuse to live in the past? JRPGs were great when I was fucking 13-18 years old, but I outgrew them. My vision isn't blinded by a mist of nostalgia like yours is apparently. But, I can look back and play some of the RPGs I used to love and notice now that they are fucking BAD or sub par. It is people like you who think any JRPG is good just because it is a JRPG.

Of course... playing a 15 year old game is bound to look like crap. Graphics aside, please explain to me why Chrono Trigger was god awful?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »

Who needs Mass Effect or Dragon Age when you have games like these.

I sometimes wonder why I ever liked JRPGs.

Because of Megaten? Or Chrono Trigger? Or FFVI? Or Panzer Dragoon Saga? Or Demon's Souls? Or Nier? Or Zelda? Or Vagrant Story?

People suddenly act like there never was a decent game in the entire history of this genre. Not every wrpg is a mass effect or fallout 3 and not every jrpg is a nocturne or demon's souls.
It's ok to make fun of those specific parts because they deserve it but wondering why you ever liked the genre? You'd think SO4 or FFX are the very pinacles of the genre by reading this thread.

Anyway, I avoided SO4 based on those clips alone. The game is fucking retarded, I never liked the franchise anyway but it seems to be getting worse with every new game.

Even without those videos that Thoren posted, there are still plenty of examples that show that JRPGs are just not that interesting or polished anymore. Yes, even older ones.

Yeah well, some of the games I mentioned were released this year. The others were brilliant at the time they were released. But guess what? Most videogames don't hold up after 15 years. What an amazing discovery!
I said in my post that SO4 and even the whole franchise is retarded and you say I think every jrpg is good. Are you stupid? From where did you draw those ridiculous conclusions? Are you going to deny that all those games I mentioned are landmarks in the industry and were brilliant at the time they were released?
You're the one who's blind.

Whatever, just another thread to be ignored. This used to be a great forum.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »

I never said Chrono Trigger was awful, I still like that game today. What I am saying is that people need to stop living in nostalgia land and get over the fact that most JRPGs weren't really that good.Sure there have been great JRPGs, ones that I still enjoy today. But when I look back at the bland and generic JRPGs that I used to play, it shows the JRPGs have not evolved much. And trust me, generic RPGs far outnumber the "great" RPGs.

Honestly, I think the biggest appeal to JRPG genre to most people is the foreign appeal and anime inspiration. I loved and will love quality JRPGs, but the genre itself is pretty awful.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 08:47:13 AM »

You might want to avoid generalizing then when you post.

Any domain will have lots of crap against few goods: paintings, TV shows, movies, jRPGS, wRPGs, cars.
I don't see why you're trying to make an argument on this.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »

Sorry, I thought this was the "The Fucking JRPGs" Thread".
I think most JRPGs are overrated and the genre is generic. I love some JRPGs, but I find the majority of them to be sub par and don't hold well against the test of time. This is my opinion, agree or disagree with it if you want. Just stop shedding tears because I don't think every decent JRPG that is made needs to be on a pedestal.
The only reason there is an argument here is because rabid fans of the genre refuse to see any fault with any game that they love.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: