Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 04:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331987 Posts in 13599 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread  (Read 11718 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »

Sorry, I thought this was the "The Fucking JRPGs" Thread".

Good idea, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSw_rTh4h4#t=07m30s
This is awkward writing + bad story all mixed up in one cutscene.

Every time I see this thing, I feel like punching the director.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »

I don't know, maybe because I grew up and refuse to live in the past? JRPGs were great when I was fucking 13-18 years old, but I outgrew them. My vision isn't blinded by a mist of nostalgia like yours is apparently.

This is what we call a cop out and a little bit of ad hominem. You can't come up with a real argument so you simply imply that you are an adult and the other person is a child so you must be right and they must be wrong. What's ironic (or maybe it isn't unexpected at all) is that you do this with a pokemon as your avatar.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2010, 10:54:37 AM »

I don't know, maybe because I grew up and refuse to live in the past? JRPGs were great when I was fucking 13-18 years old, but I outgrew them. My vision isn't blinded by a mist of nostalgia like yours is apparently.

This is what we call a cop out and a little bit of ad hominem. You can't come up with a real argument so you simply imply that you are an adult and the other person is a child so you must be right and they must be wrong. What's ironic (or maybe it isn't unexpected at all) is that you do this with a pokemon as your avatar.
I already gave my reasons for not liking JRPGs. JRPG stories and characters don't appeal to me now that I'm older. I wasn't calling anyone a child, I clearly said that their opinions are clouded by nostalgia.

You seem to be the person not coming up with an argument and nitpicking what I wrote at the what, the beginning of the thread?

And Growlith is fucking awesome, maybe I should have avatar that depicts a spreadsheet to seem more grown up though.
Fucking moron.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »

Come on guys, is there really any question here? While I can see someone making this argument in the NES-PS1 eras, but since then, JRPGs just don't innovate anymore. For me to get an actually good, really polished, well written and acted, AND still manages to get gameplay right, you HAVE to be Atlus' SMT team now a days. I dare anyone to post anything that was completely mind blowing that was released in the past 4-6 years. I'm willing to bet only a handful of JRPGs make that mark. You need to look no further than RPGfan's own top 20. When 2/3 of the games listed are older games 1 or two generations old, you have a problem here.

Anyways, keep the videos coming guys, these are too hilarious. One game I remember playing a while back that was TERRIBLE as far as writing and acting was concerned, was Rhapsody, by Atlus on the PS1. Holy pan-cake attack!

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 11:12:20 AM »

I'm pretty sure Rhapsody being incredibly cheesy and saccharine was part of the intent. At least it knew what it wanted to be.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »

This is always a classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tyZO5Kppu4

For the record it's one of my favorite games >_>
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »

Come on guys, is there really any question here? While I can see someone making this argument in the NES-PS1 eras, but since then, JRPGs just don't innovate anymore. For me to get an actually good, really polished, well written and acted, AND still manages to get gameplay right, you HAVE to be Atlus' SMT team now a days. I dare anyone to post anything that was completely mind blowing that was released in the past 4-6 years. I'm willing to bet only a handful of JRPGs make that mark. You need to look no further than RPGfan's own top 20. When 2/3 of the games listed are older games 1 or two generations old, you have a problem here.

Anyways, keep the videos coming guys, these are too hilarious. One game I remember playing a while back that was TERRIBLE as far as writing and acting was concerned, was Rhapsody, by Atlus on the PS1. Holy pan-cake attack!
Thanks for saying what I was trying to say in a less hateful tone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHKCX_zFlH0&p=B26C6BCF0A6A316C&playnext=1&index=3
The game was awesome, but holy hell were the battle cries awffffulllllllll
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2010, 11:33:10 AM »

This game didn't have that bad Voice Acting but this scene is so cheesy yet awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhMPj9tp_os
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »

The twins in Infinite Undiscovery are stupid, but when Capell started dancing too, I honestly laughed.

Yeah, that whole scene made me smile, because the hero didn't backpedal on the "anything" like they usually do.  He just reveled in the possibility.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »

Yeah, that whole scene made me smile, because the hero didn't backpedal on the "anything" like they usually do.  He just reveled in the possibility.

Yup! He gets points for having a carefree attitude!

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 11:41:46 AM »

Capell was amazing

Spoilers:
Code:
He goes from being this carefree idiot, to an emo bitch about everything, then FINALLY near the end he gets laid and then he's just a happy, smug motherfucker. It's great.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2010, 12:25:52 PM »

Come on guys, is there really any question here? While I can see someone making this argument in the NES-PS1 eras, but since then, JRPGs just don't innovate anymore. For me to get an actually good, really polished, well written and acted, AND still manages to get gameplay right, you HAVE to be Atlus' SMT team now a days.

Too true, too true.

Though JRPG's may be dead in the water just now, I still haven't played a WRPG I have enjoyed. Any RPG's that I have enjoyed from the west (mostly indie) have taken their mold from JRPG's rather than WRPGs.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »

Come on guys, is there really any question here? While I can see someone making this argument in the NES-PS1 eras, but since then, JRPGs just don't innovate anymore. For me to get an actually good, really polished, well written and acted, AND still manages to get gameplay right, you HAVE to be Atlus' SMT team now a days.

Too true, too true.

Though JRPG's may be dead in the water just now, I still haven't played a WRPG I have enjoyed. Any RPG's that I have enjoyed from the west (mostly indie) have taken their mold from JRPG's rather than WRPGs.
Do you mean like RPG maker games?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »

Too true, too true.

Do you mean like RPG maker games?

A couple, I spose, but it's always nicer if it wasn't made on RPGmaker.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2010, 01:36:10 PM »

I already gave my reasons for not liking JRPGs. JRPG stories and characters don't appeal to me now that I'm older. I wasn't calling anyone a child, I clearly said that their opinions are clouded by nostalgia.

You seem to be the person not coming up with an argument and nitpicking what I wrote at the what, the beginning of the thread?

And Growlith is fucking awesome, maybe I should have avatar that depicts a spreadsheet to seem more grown up though.
Fucking moron.

I said you were implying it. There's a difference. Whether that implication was intentional on your part or not isn't relevant. It is there.

It's perfectly fine if as you grow older your tastes change. However just because yours do doesn't mean others should follow suit or that they are wrong for not doing so.

You can have whatever avatar you want. I just think you should hold your tongue about people still liking JRPGs that came out when they were a teenager and that you've somehow grown beyond that when your avatar is from a JRPG that came out when you were a teenager (or depending on your age, even before that). It makes you look like a hypocrite.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: