Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 12:04:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338725 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The "Fucking JRPGs" Thread  (Read 12321 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »

I dare anyone to post anything that was completely mind blowing that was released in the past 4-6 years. I'm willing to bet only a handful of JRPGs make that mark.

Depends what you mean by 'completely mindblowing', I guess.  I'm not sure I can think of any game--Western, Japanese, RPG, or otherwise--that meets that mark.  However there certainly have been some good ones.  I am intentionally leaving out SMT games because everyone has already had a fangasm about them:

Valkyria Chronicles
Nier
Demons Souls
Resonance of Fate
Dragon Quest IX
Ys VII

All very recent games.  What WRPGs of note have come out during the same period?  There's Dragon Age and the Mass Effect games (both by the same company...).  I know a lot of people like Bethesda's stuff, but personally I am so sick of their games.  Talk about not evolving the genre, they've been making the exact same game for the last 15 years.  If you're going to count them then on the JRPG side you should count Namco's Tales studios, which can also make good games but are also stuck in a rut.  And that's pretty much it for major WRPGs...two developers.

There are plenty of bad JRPGs out there and I don't think a single person has tried to dispute that (despite people like Danku responding as if like somebody was disputing that).  But why ignore the good ones?  People are putting blinders on, only looking at the worst examples they can find (and there are just way more low-budget RPGs in Japan than the west so it's not hard to find examples), and declaring the genre dead.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

Wasn't RoF and DQ9 underwhelming?

I'm surprised you think Bethesda has made the same game for 15 years. I recognize distinct differences between Fallout 3 and Daggerfall.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »

I recognize distinct differences between Fallout 3 and Daggerfall.

Such as...
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE2vZFkc5Rc#t=1m15s

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »

Why is it English VA are so bad when trying to sound like punks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-U9ERbthOQ&p=531FBC90236BE93E&index=100

Man, Last Remnant could have been a great game if they didn't put:
- random stat-ups
- random squad levels
- random skill gains
- random orders in battle
- random field movements
- random drops from random rares / random equipment upgrades on everyone but hero

Watching a Youtube of someone playing without being able to control anything in the game is about the same as playing it yourself -_-
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »

The twins in Infinite Undiscovery are stupid, but when Capell started dancing too, I honestly laughed.

Yeah, that whole scene made me smile, because the hero didn't backpedal on the "anything" like they usually do.  He just reveled in the possibility.

They got that idea from me -- I always dance for supper time. :D

IMO - JRPGs *are* innovative - they just have trouble with presentation... ie; they play too much like animes.
Very few WRPGs take you to the worlds that JRPGs do (usually J's are more "flamboyant", in so many words; not gay, but whimsical and different).  Japan has really been affected by it's cartoons, IMO.  Why do half the popstars there have bangs (like anime girls do) and halfof them hair grow their hair long and out of their face?  They have bloody contact lenses that make their iris' bigger for gods sake.

However; while JRPGs are too wild, colourful, vivid and crazy at times - WRPGs seem to suffer a certain machismo factor.  Gears of War, Halo, and Mass Effect all fall under sci-fi gun action. At least you're getting something a bit more mature.  Blood spills, you say "fuck!!", and (unlike animes) your eyes don't glitter as the shock of the moment turns into slow motion.  WRPGs attempts at fantasy only seems to go as far as Lord of the Rings (where we had Eternal Sonata taking you into a person's dream, crystals poked out the size of moutains, etc.)

Two each their own - oddly enough it's hard to find a middle path here.  What one region has, the other lacks and vice versa.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »

Whatever, just another thread to be ignored. This used to be a great forum.

Pretty much this.  A thousand times.

Sorry, I thought this was the "The Fucking JRPGs" Thread".

I'd suggest renaming the site to FuckingJRPGs, but I think it would attract the wrong kind of material.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:56:55 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 03:11:52 PM »

Sorry, I thought this was the "The Fucking JRPGs" Thread".

I'd suggest renaming the site to FuckingJRPGs, but I think it would attract the wrong kind of material.
More like FuckJRPGs. But I think itís too early for that. Letís start with this thread and see how it goes.

The twins in Infinite Undiscovery are stupid, but when Capell started dancing too, I honestly laughed.

Yeah, that whole scene made me smile, because the hero didn't backpedal on the "anything" like they usually do.  He just reveled in the possibility.

They got that idea from me -- I always dance for supper time. :D

IMO - JRPGs *are* innovative - they just have trouble with presentation... ie; they play too much like animes.
Very few WRPGs take you to the worlds that JRPGs do (usually J's are more "flamboyant", in so many words; not gay, but whimsical and different).  Japan has really been affected by it's cartoons, IMO.  Why do half the popstars there have bangs (like anime girls do) and halfof them hair grow their hair long and out of their face?  They have bloody contact lenses that make their iris' bigger for gods sake.
To be honest I think this is the reason that some are turned off or have been turned off to JRPGs in recent years because they either play like an anime and are too light hearted and flamboyant as you put it. For some this can be vexing while for others it can be galvanizing. As an anime fan the anime aesthetics actually enhance my enjoyment of the game. One of my favorite features of Star Ocean for example was going to the menu screen and seeing an anime portrait of my characters. :)

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »

It amazes me that people who hate JRPGs so much hang out in this forum. I mean, what the fuck people?

Can't we just enjoy BOTH genres for what they are or aren't? I really don't get all of this jrpg vs wrpg hate. If anything, jrpgs quirks are what make me kinda adore them. If you don't like jrpgs, that's fine. But I get so sick of every post being about this shit. Let me play my sparkly jrpgs or gritty wrpgs in peace, thank you.

Or if you get annoyed at jrpgs, you can poke fun of them in let's plays, like me, and not complain on forums! :D

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »

But forums are fun for discussing things!
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2010, 03:50:53 PM »

Damn you, Logic! DAMN YOU! *fistwave*

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

The problem is that this particular subject is getting older than John McCain.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »

The problem is that this particular subject is getting older than John McCain.
That's one of the problems but the primary one is the fact that this is being blown out of proportion. Here's the thing, video games are designed to entertain, if you are not being entertained then chances are you won't like the game. A lot of JRPG detractors seem to believe that since they no longer enjoy of find less enjoyment in Japanese RPGs and have now moved on to Western RPGs that there is some how something wrong with people who are entertained by and enjoy Japanese RPGs. As if they have some sort of neurological illness that can only they can cure.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 05:30:59 PM »

Considering how often the main characters in P3 and P4 shared "tender moments" with ladies in those games, I'd call them "f___ing" JRPGs too:P

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »

Whatever, just another thread to be ignored. This used to be a great forum.
Quit being a drama queen.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: