Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 02:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319823 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Japanese Gamers are Overwhelmed by Western Graphics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Japanese Gamers are Overwhelmed by Western Graphics  (Read 1067 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:20:10 PM »

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-09/17/western-gamemakers-struggle-to-get-japanese-fans

Part of the problem seems to be a total lack of exposure among Japanese gamers -- and, perhaps more importantly, among Japanese game developers -- when it comes to high-end videogames like Halo and Grand Theft Auto, with their lush graphics and open worlds.

Ive come across Japanese development companies as recently as two years ago where the engineers, the designers of the game, owned a PS2, a PSP, a Wii and a DS, says Campbell. Ive sat people down with a next-gen game, and they thought they were watching a cut scene until I gave them a controller. I was like, No, this is what people in the West play.
But sales numbers dont lie. Of the top 100 games sold in Japan in 2009, you have to go all the way down to No. 77 to find the one title not made in Japan -- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »

NipponIchi, Gust, IdeaFactory, Marvelous, Compile Heart, etc.  Eat your heart out.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:31:11 PM »

Remember kids, if it doesn't look like a movie, it ain't worth playing. /sarcasm

Seriously though, generalizing much? They like what they like, they grew up on it and it is what they are accustomed to.

Why do YOU care that they don't play the games you like?

EDIT: Also, those quotes came off really condescending. Like Japanese gamers can't wrap their TEENY TINY little brains around nice graphics. They obviously know the technology exists, it's been implemented in FFXIII and many CGI movies.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:32:55 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:01:18 AM »

I actually felt the same, Starmongoose. (granted, the examples I listed do kinda demonstrate a step back...but hey.)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 01:08:09 AM »

Lower quality graphics in a lot of Japanese games is simply because of budget issues.  They know the games aren't going to move as many units but they still want to be profitable.

I agree that the article seems incredibly condescending.  FFXIII, for all its faults, is an incredibly good looking game.  They were able to make it that way because they knew it would sell.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:42:11 AM »

It doesnt seem that Japanese Developers are used to taking advantage of licensed engines either.
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 03:14:32 AM »

Lower quality graphics in a lot of Japanese games is simply because of budget issues.

Partly, but there's also a lack of technical know-how.

One problem with the Japanese industry is that it's still stifled by their traditional corporate structure. Technology tends to be locked within a scant few companies, which prevents the industry from growing. Top-notch developers just don't move around very often.

Also, there's little fresh blood, which makes it difficult for any company to keep up (regarding software engineering positions, companies like Square Enix have been hiring foreigners lately). In the west, freshly trained graduates are constantly moving into industry.

It doesnt seem that Japanese Developers are used to taking advantage of licensed engines either.

That's also because of traditional values, particularly where their domestic technology is concerned. Most development teams want to create their own engines and then withhold it from anyone else. It's a matter of group pride.

As for foreign middleware, there have been a few attempts. However, you do hear a lot of complaints about communication issues and incompatible development methodologies.

They like what they like, they grew up on it and it is what they are accustomed to.

Westerners don't really care. It's the Japanese publishers who want to import western games in order to expand the Japanese market.

This isn't really a matter of growing up and becoming accustomed to something either. In Japan, the mainstream game fan is gone - they quit playing years ago, and they don't want domestic product any more than the mainstream westerner. We're now left with a sizable but unstable casual games market, along with a niche "core" game market (exception = Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy) that's constantly shrinking. Their situation is actually quite similar to anime and sci-fi TV.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:19:12 AM by Bill » Logged
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-09/17/western-gamemakers-struggle-to-get-japanese-fans

Part of the problem seems to be a total lack of exposure among Japanese gamers -- and, perhaps more importantly, among Japanese game developers -- when it comes to high-end videogames like Halo and Grand Theft Auto, with their lush graphics and open worlds.

Ive come across Japanese development companies as recently as two years ago where the engineers, the designers of the game, owned a PS2, a PSP, a Wii and a DS, says Campbell. Ive sat people down with a next-gen game, and they thought they were watching a cut scene until I gave them a controller. I was like, No, this is what people in the West play.
But sales numbers dont lie. Of the top 100 games sold in Japan in 2009, you have to go all the way down to No. 77 to find the one title not made in Japan -- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

I'm starting to think Thoren just writes these quotes on his own to see the responses lol.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »

They want a guided experience, says Campbell. They want their hands held. They want the familiar. They dont want new. When you go against that, they get angry.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:13:39 AM »

Every time I read one of these quotes,  I imagine this is a Japanese gamer who was saying it sarcastically/jokingly to indirectly flatter the developer, and it's being told completely out of context.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: