Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338010 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".  (Read 5232 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:45:48 PM »

from NeoGAF:

Yup, he's at it again.

The full sad quote from NYTimes' article. Titled: Japanese Playing a New Video Game: Catch-Up
"I look around Tokyo Games Show, and everyone’s making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind," said Keiji Inafune, 45, head of global research and development at Capcom and one of Japan’s most prominent game designers.

"Capcom is barely keeping up," he said in an interview at the show, which ended Sunday. "I want to study how Westerners live, and make games that appeal to them."

Man. So sad.

In other news Dead Rising apparently is tailored specifically to the West. what??
The company has had more success with its 2006 horror action game Dead Rising, which it tailored specifically to the West. Set in a zombie-infested mall in small-town America, the game gives players more freedom to improvise. Everything in the mall is at the players’ disposal. They can whack zombies with salmon, run them over with shopping carts, even pour cooking oil on the floor to make zombies slip.

Inafune for the past 2 or 3 years (if I remember correctly) has become one of the most annoying guys in the industry saying that Japan doesn't know how to be big like the almighty west.

This dude alone can destroy Capcom with his way of thinking... Anyway, I recommend reading the thread on GAF along with the article.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiyH4QS8nCk

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:12:13 PM »

Japan's games are fine... in some genres at least.

Their action games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Bayonetta <3, and Devil May Cry still are great.  I enjoyed all 3 of these a lot.

Their fighting games are still top notch, but I don't think the west even tries here.

Can't really say the same for other genres which shall remain unnamed.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »

DMC is so great that they gave it to Ninja Theory.

The overall quality of Eastern-made games is slipping. They're being crushed by the evolution of technology and their inability to cope with it as well as the budgets that come along with it.

That's okay though they are still ace Handheld developers.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »

Inafune for the past 2 or 3 years (if I remember correctly) has become one of the most annoying guys in the industry saying that Japan doesn't know how to be big like the almighty west.

This dude alone can destroy Capcom with his way of thinking... Anyway, I recommend reading the thread on GAF along with the article.

Given Inafune's humble background when he started with making Megaman and whatnot, I personally don't interpret it as "man the west is so awesome and we suck" so much as "we can do better than this, we have to keep improving or we'll fall behind". I don't see how such a line of thought would be destructive.

One thing that I think is true is that I think budget/manpower issues are part of what is making "big games" in Japan fall behind...it takes far too much effort these days to just make sure a character can walk from one end of the room to another in a sparkling amazing modern graphics engine, and it takes away from what's really important.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:18:52 AM by Hathen » Logged
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:55 AM »

"Americans always wear sunglasses" Lol.

I have to agree with Akanbe, Japan's action and fighting games are top notch.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:11:01 AM »

They've seen better days but they still create awesome stuff.
I'll be buying 4 games for my PS3 in the comming months:

Vanquish
Gran Turismo 5
Mass Effect 2
Team Ico Collection

That's 3 against 1. The quality of these eastern games is undeniable, one of them will probably be the best in its genre ever.

Looking at the games I already own, western developers definitely stand out: uncharted, god of war, killzone, infamous... But on the other hand there are eastern gems like SSF4, demon's souls, valkyria chronicles... So I say, they complement each other very well.

Looking forward to 2011 (not including the ones I already mentioned above), my personal standouts are:

Infamous 2
Killzone 3
The Last Guardian
Project Dark
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Catherine

Again, lots of games developed in japan.

Here's an interesting article that was posted yesterday on eurogamer regarding this matter:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-18-setting-sun-article

I definitely agree with this part:

"Where in the past a game trailer would have bullet-pointed its essential statistics, instead we were given a trio of names to roll around - Shinji Mikami, Goichi Suda and Akira Yamaoka, director, producer and composer respectively.
Only a handful of developers in the West ever get their names particularly closely associated with their games. Sid Meier does, of course, as do Will Wright and Peter Molyneux, and perhaps more curiously, American McGee. But does anyone outside of the most hardcore, website-reading, forum-trawling fanatics know that Cliff Bleszinski is the man behind Gears of War, or that they have Ken Levine to thank for BioShock?"

The weight some japanese names (Kojima, Myamoto, Mikami, Ueda, Uematsu, Meguro, Sakaguchi, Mizuguchi, the list is endless) carry is undeniable. And they have that weight because they do something right. Mikami moved on, he isn't at capcom spewing bullshit at every opportunity he gets like Inafune, he's developing fantastic games.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:04:58 AM »

Wait, he wants games to advance and get better? He wants to make games that appeal to a wider audience?

HE’S A MONSTER!

Someone should really tell him to never make games again.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:07:03 AM »

Mikami is a game designer, Infaune heads the entire goddamn R&D of Capcom. If anyone knows something about Japanese game development, it is him.

(Kojima, Myamoto, Mikami, Ueda, Uematsu, Meguro, Sakaguchi, Mizuguchi, the list is endless)

Let's look at that list. Hell I'll even add more.

Kojima: Stuck creating Metal Gear Solid games
Miyamoto:  An innovative mind, no doubting that
Uematsu: The fuck? The guy is a Musician, not a game designer
Meguro: Another composer apparently? Never heard of him
Sakaguchi: Has made a bunch of B-List JRPGs lately from huge hosted funding
Mizuguchi: Hasn't made a truly great game since Rez almost 9 years ago
Itagaki: Laid off for sexual harassment
Mikami: Spent hundreds of millions of dollars on games that sold poorly, fired from Capcom.

Just because Japanese game developers have more of a rock star presence does not mean that they are better or even equal game developers to the west. You don't need a single name to have popularity, the Blizzards, Bungies, Bethesdas and Biowares are all pretty well known by anyone invested in gaming. Bungie's next FPS is going to be huge, Diablo 3 is going to be huge, the new Fallout is going to be huge, and shit, The Old Republic is mega-hyped among MMO players alone just because Bioware is developing it. When anyone doubts the fucking game you get a torrent of "BIOWARE! BIOWARE!" CDFN you really can not use your anecdotal evidence to prove a real point.

Japanese game developers cannot survive in the future's global gaming climate if it continues to evolve in it's current path. This is not a case of Japanese games being bad, there are tons of fantastic Japanese games, it is all about appeal, a cultural divide from the west, and most of all poor game development process.

Look at the successful Western series. There are three goddamn Halo games this generation and like four Call of Duties. You can argue quality all you want, but those are some real money makers. There are also two Mass Effects, thee Gears of Wars, two Portals, Three Bioshocks, Three Assassins Creeds, you get my point.

I'm not a fan of Sequel Mania, I haven't bought a Halo besides Halo 3, and I haven't bought Call of Duty besides the first Modern Warfare, but there's one repeating quality in those games: They're pretty damn good, regardless of being sequels or not. This is because the huge western game developers know how to work with their resources much better than Japanese developer giants.

Edit: IRONICALLY a lot of the games CDFN plans to buy are sequels of spin offs of some sort. Lmao!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:12:08 AM by Thoren » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »

Look Thoren, I'm going to bother with you one last time.
I was pointing out names that sell games, be it directors, composers or something else. It's funny that you failed to mention Ueda and added Itakagi to the list who I didn't even mention. Mizuguchi is working on child of eden wich is a very promising game and as for mikami, he definitely tried to break the mold with his more recent efforts even if the result wasn't always fantastic.
But nevermind that. I was just giving my opinion and backing it up with personal experience, I'm not trying to prove anything. I've been hearing Inafune say this kind of thing for 2 years but I don't see capcom doing anything relevant to change it. Guys like Myamoto and Ueda are working hard to create great games.
As for the sequel issue, it's funny that the only games from the list I mentioned that aren't sequels are japanese. I don't need to tell you that this is a worldwide issue and not exclusive to japanese developers. Besides, almost half the games on my list are new IPs (vanquish, catherine, the last guardian, project dark).

Can we just agree to ignore each other?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 08:12:08 AM »

Sequels and Spin Offs

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »

This little prick has run Capcom into the ground with his obsession of westernizing almost every fucking game Capcom makes. Most of them turned out bad and now he is mad. If anyone`s making and producing awful games, it`s him. TGS this year was great: Project Dark, Gran Tursimo 5, Ryu ga Gotoku of the End, Vanquish, The Last Guardian, Disgaea 4, Ninokuni, Valkyria Chronicles 3. None of those games are by Inafune though. So, I guess that automatically makes them "awful" to him.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »

Capcom still makes good games. Really good, in fact. I'm playing Dead Rising 2 and it's pretty damn good.

I've found myself less and less interested in most Japanese game nowadays - not completely so, I'm still eagerly awaiting games like Last Guardian, but on the whole I've had more fun with more Western titles (or "western styled" ones like Dead Rising). I don't see why people think trying to 'westernize' certain titles is bad. From what I played of the Vanquish demo, it seems pretty damn westernized.

Then there are people who just hate Inafune for whatever reason, and their opinions are automatically void.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »

Capcom still makes good games. Really good, in fact. I'm playing Dead Rising 2 and it's pretty damn good.

I've found myself less and less interested in most Japanese game nowadays - not completely so, I'm still eagerly awaiting games like Last Guardian, but on the whole I've had more fun with more Western titles (or "western styled" ones like Dead Rising). I don't see why people think trying to 'westernize' certain titles is bad. From what I played of the Vanquish demo, it seems pretty damn westernized.

Then there are people who just hate Inafune for whatever reason, and their opinions are automatically void.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. I once said in the FFXIIIversus thread pretty much what Thoren just said to me.

Here it is:

It's a fact that japanese developers are struggling and it shows in the time it takes to create a game. GT5's development time is longer than all 3 forza games. Forza 1 was released on the original xbox so even with a hardware change that forced them to start from scratch for forza 2 they still managed to release 3 games in the time it took PD to release 1 (and the game is still 3 months away as we speak!). Keep in mind that up to 300 people worked on this project during certain stages of development.
Remember, I'm talking current gen here, we all know that japanese developers ruled in the 32 bit era.
How long would it take SE to create something like uncharted 2 or fallout 3? VersusXIII was first shown in 2006, that's 4 years and now the game's director is saying that the game is far from finished. It's using XIII's tech (with a few tweaks). XIII's staff moved to Versus when the game released in japan, more than 100 people are supposed to be working on it, yet a 2011 release is looking unlikely. That's crazy.
Cases like duke nukem forever are different. It was never a normal development to begin with, the project was put on hold several times, there were lots of politics interfering with the process untill finally someone pulled the plug.
In the cases I mentioned hundreds of people are working towards a well defined goal with all the resources they need available to them and they still need 6-7 years to complete a game, that at the end of the day could've been developed in 2-3 years by a top western developer. Does anyone here honestly think that studios like Bioware, Naughty Dog or Valve would've needed all those years to create FFXIII? Uncharted was released in 2007, less than a year after the PS3 hit the market. 

The point I'm trying to make is that Inafune said that all the games at TGS were awful and that's not true. I'm not talking sales potential, none of those games are going to sell as much as COD or Halo. But Inafune didn't say that the games at TGS are going to be commercial failures, he said that the games are awful. I mean, really? Project Dark, Gran Tursimo 5, Vanquish and The Last Guardian are awful games?
Japanese games development is a mess and I think I made my point very clear in my post above. I don't have anything against Inafune but I think that his statement is insulting for other developers who worked very hard to bring some fantastic games to the table.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: