Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 09:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338137 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".  (Read 5236 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2010, 02:21:08 AM »

Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher are more different than Resonance of Fate and FF13 are
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17:24 AM »

My issue is that different companies in the west produce extremely similar games. Fallout 3 and Bioshock both have that creepy vintage vibe, and Borderlands tapped into that as well.

I can see where you’re coming from with the “vintage vibe”. To say the two games are “extremely similar” seems crazy to me though. They’re two very different experiences, both from a gameplay and story perspective, and if you disagree I don’t know what else to say. Also, in what way is Borderlands “vintage”?

And I’m sorry, but as someone who absolutely loves DMC, even I think the platforming in those games is awful. It’s my biggest problem with the series.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:52 AM »

Borderlands was a weak example, but to prove I'm not completely crazy, here is a quote from the RPGFan review:
The structure of the game is akin to a combination of Fallout 3 or The Elder Scrolls and Diablo.

I stumbled upon this while looking for pictures of the shopkeepers http://lilithgow.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/the-top-ten-video-game-shopkeepers/
This was a tough one, with Borderlands just beating out the horrifying plasmid stations of Bioshock. Bioshock’s stations were great at conveying the mood of the gutted and decaying Rapture but inherently makes no sense – I couldn’t really contemplate that Andrew Ryan would allow the selling of horrifying genetic mutations on each street corner – while it does embrace the “No Gods, Only Man” mantra of Rapture, I always found it jarring.

Borderlands on the other hand, I feel hit the mark with their cheery, slogan launching vending machines dispensing guns, ammunition and health.

The art style of Borderlands' shops is clearly inspired by Bioshock and Fallout 3, but doesn't directly fit with what I'm saying about old timey vibe.

Muramasa and Okami
I see what you're doing, but my point stands because vaultboy etc are very specific elements.  I'm not just comparing two NPCs with similar polycount.  I'm not saying the art styles are the same, I'm saying the delivery and purpose of the cutesy warnings in both games is the same.  

I think I'm just worried that Japanese devs will westernize out of my taste range.  I should have a little more faith.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:28:34 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »

Right, Borderlands shares a few gameplay ideas with BioShock and Fallout 3, but it's hardly "vintage".

And while the guys behind BioShock may have been inspired by the first two Fallout games for the plasmid advertisements, I'm still having a hard time seeing how the games are extremely similar.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »

They are quite different... I'll admit.  I'm big on themes, and ambience.  Maybe I am wrong about all this, but I lump those two together in my mind.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:38:49 AM by Fei » Logged

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2010, 01:38:08 PM »

They are quite different... I'll admit.  I'm big on themes, and ambience.  Maybe I am wrong about all this, but I lump those two together in my mind.
You're wrong!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »

I'm sorry for sucking so badly.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »

I thought BioShock and Fallout had some stylistic similarities. However, BioShock's are much much more played up and stylized. Fallout 3's style seemed more like a garnish than center-stage though. Most of the areas aren't particularly 1950s, just when you come in contact with advertisements, and SOME tech. BioShock was a work of art.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: