Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:25:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327786 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".  (Read 4923 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:08 PM »

Here's an Interview in which Inafune said a lot of crazy stuff:

One on One: Keiji Inafune, Game Designer

Q.: What did you do right with Resident Evil? That sold well overseas.
On the other hand, Monster Hunterís sold well in Japan, but not overseas.

A.: We were more successful with Biohazard/Resident Evil. We made the lead character American and he speaks English.

Quote from GAF:

Just to make a summary of what he said in that interview:

- Everyone at the TGS is making awful games
- Japanese game developers are making games that are 5 years behind and stuck in the last-gen mindset
- There is no diversity or originality in game play, ideas, or design
- Capcom is barely keeping up
- Japan is behind because when they find an idea that works, they stick with the formula, just tweaking graphics and/or image quality
- Japan is also behind because publishers are not putting $75 million budgets behind the games for development/marketing
- Shadow of Rome failed because it was only superficially westernized
- Resident Evil, on the other hand, succeeded because the main character was American and spoke English
- Japanese games cannot be popular overseas anymore in their pure state; they are like sushi and North America requires California Rolls.
- Monster Hunter will never be a success overseas because it is Japanese to the core and any attempt to change it will make it unpopular in Japan
- Games that sell globally are best, but selling only in Japan is okay if they make a profit
- It's getting harder to make a profit on Japan-only software because the domestic market is smaller than ever
- Buying overseas companies is just a start, it takes a lot of work to yield proper dividends from such a relationship
- Lost Planet 1 was totally okay for westerners, but the team that made Lost Planet 2 screwed up and made it too Japanese and that's why it failed
- You can't take on America head-on, you have to use strategy
- Inafune's strategy was to bring robots into the game and use harsh environments, but Lost Planet 2 lost its way
- He can't do everything he wants to do at Capcom. He's been strong-arming things through but there's still a lot of resistance
- Pay is shitty, leadership is nebulous, and Inafune thinks he can't be on the board or directors because management thinks developers are stupid. That's the difference between Nintendo and Capcom.
- If Capcom changes, the Japanese games industry will change.
- Level 5 rox
- It's too late for Japan to enter the US gaming market, it will take years now. Japan needs to focus on entering emerging markets in China and Korea.
- Japanese gaming is dead
- Inafune loves Japan and wants to save it
- Everyone needs to face up to the reality that the Japanese games industry is dead.
- Capcom is ranked low globally, is dead no matter how you approach it. Resident Evil only sold 5 million copies. Not good enough.
- Inafune fancies himself like the revolutionary samurai Ryoma Sakamoto, who made strong efforts to open up Japan to the West and got assassinated.
- Inafune daydreams about being assassinated in medieval times for being so bad-ass.

I mean, look at that. Look at his criticisms. He hasn't got the slightest clue about what Western games are doing to succeed. Oh yes, Western developers never stick to the formula... what was the top-selling game last year again? Call of Duty 6, was it?

Seriously, how can someone defend Inafune at this point of his insanity.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:21:03 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

As long as Japan continues to make games I like I'll buy them.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »

Yeah he's so insane that his company is one of if not the most successful Japanese Publisher in the Western world! That IDIOT! I say we ask for starving Japanese eroge creator's opinions instead.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »

Yeah he's so insane that his company is one of if not the most successful Japanese Publisher in the Western world!

All thanks to Inafune, right?

I say we ask for starving Japanese eroge creator's opinions instead.

As long as they can provide a better analysis than "RE succeeded because of white people", why not?
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 05:35:06 PM »

So being the head of the Development division of Capcom makes him less credible in your eyes? LAFFO
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 06:55:57 PM »

So being the head of the Development division of Capcom makes him less credible in your eyes? LAFFO

When did anyone say anything like that?  Your posts are getting more and more crazy, Thoren.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »

He said "All thanks to Inafune, right?" as if the guy has nothing to do with the success of Capcom in the West.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »

As long as they can provide a better analysis than "RE succeeded because of white people", why not?

While it doesn't sound nice while someone says it outright, it doesn't mean it's not part of the reason. Why do you think Hollywood movies almost always have a white guy as the lead character? Most of us that post here don't really fall inside the realm of the normal Joe Schmo.

He's totally speaking from a businessman's standpoint though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:19:51 PM by Hathen » Logged
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »

they are still ace Handheld developers.

And at this point, that's all I really care about. *goes back to playing DQ9*

Also if you're gonna bring up sales and shit then you can't ignore The Elephant In The Room (Nintendo).
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »

Nintendo are beyond everything. If the West were the Protoss and the East were the Terrans, then Nintendo would be goddamn Zerg
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

Japanese games have style, western games are generic.  People talk about "freedom" with WRPGs, but I'm more interested in the townsfolk being physical manifestations of their emotions.

Bioware is the only western company that actually deserves the praise for "gameplay" that apparently makes them better than all eastern games.  I'm just waiting for a JRPG with extensive dialogue trees.  Bethesda's games are like watered down Bioware games... weak dialogue trees.

Parkour is a joke in every game except Mirrors Edge, which happens to star an Asian woman.  Uncharted 2?  You just hold a direction, and if Nathan's arm reaches out, hooray, you can move that space.  There is no twitch gameplay anywhere: no real control over your character.

Solid Snake can whip 1080's while laying on his stomach.

Why is Solid Snake cooler than Sam Logan or Sam Fisher or whoever?  It's not because we're all racist against whitey.  Western games strike me as generic, and maybe I'm playing videogames for the wrong reason, but I like eastern shit 100x better, I'm sorry.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »

But there are plenty of generic Japanese games, and plenty of Western games (especially if we're including Europe) that are bright and colourful and different. It's silly to generalize like that.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »

I'm just waiting for a JRPG with extensive dialogue trees.

Wait no longer.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »

again, an argument about east and west.
"freedom" and NONlinearity, both most commonly associated with western games, are overrated.
edit: me being sleep deprived sometimes causes me to spout bullshit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:40:08 AM by insertnamehere » Logged

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 12:34:09 AM »

again, an argument about east and west.
"freedom" and linearity, both most commonly associated with western games, are overrated.

Try figuring out what linear means before spouting bullshit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: