Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331972 Posts in 13597 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Inafune: "Everyone's making awful games; Japan is at least five years behind".  (Read 5054 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 02:46:38 AM »

Yeah he's so insane that his company is one of if not the most successful Japanese Publisher in the Western world! That IDIOT! I say we ask for starving Japanese eroge creator's opinions instead.

Inafune can say whatever he wants, but I don't want to see that what he said become in actions that might leave Capcom in a dangerous place.

The company is still strong and soon they are gonna release more games that are going to sell well like Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Monster Hunter Portable 3, Okamiden, Ghost Trick among others. The only "weak" games that Capcom are working on right know are Mega Man Universe and Asura's Wrath, those two doesn't look too good so far but that can change.

The only game that can really get things wierd is DmC. But we don't know much about it more than the trailer, but so far, I hope that mess doesn't end like the reboot of Bionic Commando (Rearmed was awesome though, and it sold enough to make a sequel happen). And finally, there's this new Steel Battalion game that I don't know if anybody is going to buy or not.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 07:23:58 AM »

Not really. As interactive mediums, the more control you give to the player, the better.

Freedom and nonlinearity aren't just there to be gimmicks.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:25 AM »

I'm just waiting for a JRPG with extensive dialogue trees.

Wait no longer.
Fuck yeah! Scottish I love you, Steambot Chronicles is probably one of the best games that no one bought. If there was ever an example of a JRPG with great branching dialogue, this is it. The gameplay was a bit slow at time and framerate issues were sometimes annoying, but the game had charm,style, and great dialogue/voice acting.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »

Yeah he's so insane that his company is one of if not the most successful Japanese Publisher in the Western world! That IDIOT! I say we ask for starving Japanese eroge creator's opinions instead.

Inafune can say whatever he wants, but I don't want to see that what he said become in actions that might leave Capcom in a dangerous place.

The company is still strong and soon they are gonna release more games that are going to sell well like Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Monster Hunter Portable 3, Okamiden, Ghost Trick among others. The only "weak" games that Capcom are working on right know are Mega Man Universe and Asura's Wrath, those two doesn't look too good so far but that can change.

The only game that can really get things wierd is DmC. But we don't know much about it more than the trailer, but so far, I hope that mess doesn't end like the reboot of Bionic Commando (Rearmed was awesome though, and it sold enough to make a sequel happen). And finally, there's this new Steel Battalion game that I don't know if anybody is going to buy or not.

I doubt Inafune is an idiot or something, Capcom's success this generation shows that he knows how to run their development divisions. You forgot stuff like Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter X Tekken, Mega Man Legends 3 (Yes, it will happen). As for the DMC thing, you have to admit it IS generating a lot of buzz. If the game does end up being really good, the controversy now will only make it sell even better.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »

For someone like Inafune nothing else matters besides sales and maybe if you look at raw numbers he's actually doing his job well but what gives him the right to say that all the games at the show were awful? Should Ueda be wasting his talent on finding the new pokemon instead of creating a masterpiece just so he can boast of having sold 10 million copies of his game? Is wii fit a great game just because it sells like crazy? Is that what we want from the japanese industry?
If a game is good AND sells, like mario, great, kudos to them. But if mario galaxy 2 didn't sell it would still be just as good.

You forgot stuff like Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter X Tekken, Mega Man Legends 3 (Yes, it will happen). As for the DMC thing, you have to admit it IS generating a lot of buzz.

Sequels and spinoffs.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 01:23:22 PM »

You forgot stuff like Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter X Tekken, Mega Man Legends 3 (Yes, it will happen). As for the DMC thing, you have to admit it IS generating a lot of buzz.

Sequels and spinoffs.

I never implied that they weren't.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 01:36:14 PM »

Oh. I just thought those were a bad thing for some reason.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 03:43:43 PM »

I just saw the 10 minute Bioshock Infinite gameplay trailer. Holy fuck. This is why Inafune is justified.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU0oQl54vE

Western games simply raise the fucking bar.

Better Quality:
http://www.gameblog.fr/news_18158_bioshock-infinite-10-minutes-de-gameplay-en-video-hd
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:49:29 PM by Thoren » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »

Like I said in the game's thread this is fucking mindblowing. Like, half-life 2 mindblowing.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 07:11:15 PM »

I just saw the 10 minute Bioshock Infinite gameplay trailer. Holy fuck. This is why Inafune is justified.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRU0oQl54vE

Western games simply raise the fucking bar.

Better Quality:
http://www.gameblog.fr/news_18158_bioshock-infinite-10-minutes-de-gameplay-en-video-hd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellgate:_London

Western games raise the fucking bar for first person shooters, which Japan doesn't participate with.

I'm kidding.  I really loved Hellgate, and it's successful in Korea.  I'm not Asian, I swear.

I need to stop reading this thread.  I know better than to say a damn thing on this topic, but fuck... the anti-Japanese shit trend makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:35:17 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »

Oh hey look Kotaku said the same thing I said just with more words and shit: http://kotaku.com/5643582/hey-nintendo-is-a-japanese-company-you-know
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »

I need to stop reading this thread.  I know better than to say a damn thing on this topic, but fuck... the anti-Japanese shit trend makes no sense to me.
Not really anti-Japanese, more like "Japan needs to step up their game."

Japanese game development hit their pinnacle last gen, games now are still taking inspiration from innovation during that time period. And yes, Japanese companies do participate in shooters too - many third person shooters take their cues from Resident Evil 4. The problem is, while the west has taken everything about last gen and made it BETTER, Japanese developers, for the most part, seem content to do carbon copies of their own stuff, even if it's enjoyable old stuff; Persona 3 and 4, Resident Evil 4 and 5, every Tales game, etc. - Japanese game developers need to start following cues from western ones in this aspect. It's not about becoming westernized. It's about keeping up and improving instead of doing the same old crap over and over.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »

I need to stop reading this thread.  I know better than to say a damn thing on this topic, but fuck... the anti-Japanese shit trend makes no sense to me.
Not really anti-Japanese, more like "Japan needs to step up their game."

Japanese game development hit their pinnacle last gen, games now are still taking inspiration from innovation during that time period. And yes, Japanese companies do participate in shooters too - many third person shooters take their cues from Resident Evil 4. The problem is, while the west has taken everything about last gen and made it BETTER, Japanese developers, for the most part, seem content to do carbon copies of their own stuff, even if it's enjoyable old stuff; Persona 3 and 4, Resident Evil 4 and 5, every Tales game, etc. - Japanese game developers need to start following cues from western ones in this aspect. It's not about becoming westernized. It's about keeping up and improving instead of doing the same old crap over and over.

The sad part is, they probably thought they were doing that with FF13.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 01:07:48 AM »

The sad part is, they probably thought they were doing that with FF13.

In a sense they were; they had followed the path of FF's cinematic design to its ultimate conclusion. Any further and it simply isn't a game anymore, and so it sounds like they want to backpedal some with the next entry.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 01:39:07 AM »

I don't know... Oblivion and Fallout 3 are as samey as Persona 3 and 4, aren't they?  Grand Theft Auto->Prototype/Infamous?  Every Bioware game is a conversation tree with an "Oh, the combat is half decent? cool" on top of it.  Even Bioshock Infinite is more of the same.  Seriously, what was revolutionary about that Bioshock trailer?  Nothing, but it had cool shit in it.  I liked the original Bioshock for it's aesthetics, not its mechanics.  It was just an FPS, after all.

On another note, I stopped caring about first person shooters once realism became a factor.  Quake and Unreal Tournament were wonderful western products, but once Battlefield 1942 showed up... I'm not sure what happened, but now Modern Warfare 2 is as safe of a topic as World of Warcraft, and mentioning Quake makes me sound like a nerd.  What the fuck?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: