Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:18:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331798 Posts in 13585 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?  (Read 8633 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »

The its release date is a week away and I'm still torn on whether I should get it or not.  I haven't played any of the 'traditional' Atelier titles before so I'm not quite sure if I would enjoy it.  Looks nice, though.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:09:09 PM »

I'll absolutely pick it up. I have the soundtrack/artbook edition on Pre-order at Rosenqueen.

I, and many others, have mentioned this before, but if you're not used to the traditional series the game may seem very overwhelming. Traditional Ateliers are generally non-linear.  After the opening sequences, and usually a required event every few months game time (that you can likely ignore completely, if you choose, it depends on the Atelier game) you're going to be given no direction at all. It's very open ended and there's no "save the world" plot.

Despite it obviously being a JRPG in style, there are a lot of things in the series that might appeal to the WRPG crowd as well.  But on the other hand, this is a series that absolutely does not appeal to everyone, that's why it gets such mixed reviews.  There -is- a time limit, but don't let that stop you.  You have plenty of time.  3 years, actually! There is more than enough time to do everything you want in Atelier games.

If you've played the first Atelier Iris game (not 2 or 3, they're a different type of game all together) the "traditional" Atelier will be far closer to that.  I also assume you've not tried Annie.  Shopkeepers are generally well developed characters who you can sometimes use in battle.  Rorona's "conflict" is small-scale and only affects herself, her friends, and the people around her.  She does have relationships (usually not blatantly romantic, but some undertones exist) with the characters and can spend time with them.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:20:39 PM by Cyril » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:40 PM »

3 years is not enough time to get everything you want done in Rorona. I promise you that. You'll probably find yourself wanting to do a 2nd playthrough.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

3 years is not enough time to get everything you want done in Rorona. I promise you that. You'll probably find yourself wanting to do a 2nd playthrough.

It depends.  I don't know about you, but when I play an Atelier game I usually start with a goal or two in mind. I don't go for a "get everything in one playthrough" approach.

And replay value has always been one of the Atelier strong points.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »

Oh, yeah. As soon as this hits the EU i'll be playing the shit out of it. Although the time limit does stress me the fuck out, I did enjoy Annie. I'm a huge Atelier fan.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:07:23 PM »

It depends.  I don't know about you, but when I play an Atelier game I usually start with a goal or two in mind. I don't go for a "get everything in one playthrough" approach.

And replay value has always been one of the Atelier strong points.

What would your goals be for Rorona?

I think I picked bad goals in my first playthrough. I wanted to create all weapons and armor. As a result I got "Normal" ending (cuz I didn't do townspeople quests) and I didn't really make good friends with any of my party members (closest was Lionela).

My review for this game will be on the site soon. Hint: I liked it.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »

I think it's high likely I'll get it based on the very limited information I've seen. But I really would like to know more about how it actually plays and all that.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »

Well, it certainly sounds worth trying out.  I liked the shopkeeper interactions in Atelier Iris.  I haven't tried Annie but the lack of a save-the-world kind of plotline doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Why should every game be about saving the world?

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:46:32 AM »

Too many great games coming out in the next 3 months to consider.

Sometimes I wonder why they refuse to release games, like this one, in the drought season.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:53:04 AM »

What, like March?  Do you remember how many games came out in March?

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »

What, like March?  Do you remember how many games came out in March?

March was the only month you could think of?

Anyways, from the gameplay vids I've seen of Rorona I don't think I'm part of the target audience.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »

What the heck, the set on the NISA store with the soundtrack and artbook is sold out already.  I didn't expect that...

Kind of kills my enthusiasm for ordering the game now.  I have enough keep me busy so I might just wait for a price drop.

March was the only month you could think of?

Do you know how many games came out in March?  I spent roughly March through September playing nothing but games that came out in March...

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 02:01:17 AM »

What the heck, the set on the NISA store with the soundtrack and artbook is sold out already.  I didn't expect that...

Kind of kills my enthusiasm for ordering the game now.  I have enough keep me busy so I might just wait for a price drop.

GameStop has the artbook/special box set still. The Rosenqueen one doesn't come with the special box.  Some people prefer the box cover to the soundtrack, but I prefer the soundtrack.

The soundtrack/artbook set was limited to 1,000 copies.  Though, if it's like Sakura Taisen, they might choose to print some 500 more at a later point.

What would your goals be for Rorona?

I think I picked bad goals in my first playthrough. I wanted to create all weapons and armor. As a result I got "Normal" ending (cuz I didn't do townspeople quests) and I didn't really make good friends with any of my party members (closest was Lionela).

My review for this game will be on the site soon. Hint: I liked it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!  I haven't played Rorona yet since I've been waiting for the North American release  so I can't say I know all of the goals, but I usually do the "standard" goal first.  Yes, it's cliche, but I love making my character Alchemy Master, then I go for the maximum improvement of said "goal" in the game.  After that it really depends.  I generally pick three or so shopkeepers/friends to max out and with the rest of my time I do side quests and item collection. 

I don't do a lot of fighting my first time through, only what is necessary.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

A... time limit? Well, I was going tog et it, but probably not now. I HATE time limits, even if they are forgiving time limits. Hate them in action and adventure games as well. Time limits ruin the sense of exploration for me. I have an Alterier game for the PS2, can't remember which one, but I liked the 10 or so hours I played it. Don't remember a time limit in that one.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

I'm not sure if I will get this, I might wait for Patrick's review because I trust his opinion when it comes to RPGs..cough Romancing Saga. Thing is, the playing as a ditsy teenage girl shit just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: