Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 10:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341052 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?  (Read 9154 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »

Oh, yeah. As soon as this hits the EU i'll be playing the shit out of it. Although the time limit does stress me the fuck out, I did enjoy Annie. I'm a huge Atelier fan.

Basically what I am going to do. If it was going to be a long time until it was released over here I may have imported it but thankfully it will be less than a month difference to NA.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »

A... time limit? Well, I was going tog et it, but probably not now. I HATE time limits, even if they are forgiving time limits. Hate them in action and adventure games as well. Time limits ruin the sense of exploration for me. I have an Alterier game for the PS2, can't remember which one, but I liked the 10 or so hours I played it. Don't remember a time limit in that one.

I highly suggest not letting that stop you.  It's not a time limit in a traditional sense.  If you're not familiar with the series, I might compare is to the time limit closer to what Persona 3 and 4 did.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »

I really want to like this game, but meh. The gameplay mechanics seem interesting, but from what I've seen on ustream, it looks very boring. A whole lot of cutey ^_^ ^~^ portrait dialogue and not much else. The dialogue was in japanese, so maybe it could be the best writing in the history of video games. But from what I've seen, it doesn't scream "DAY ONE PURCHASE".
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »

anyone else notice this screw up on gamestop?
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270664
it says Tecmo published and develop this game.
I've also seen a few things that it claims "GameStop" itself made them.
edit: just as I finish posting this, an ad pops up for it. wow.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »

Well in Europe, Tecmo Koei publishes NIS games, so it could be them reading the Euro listings when entering it, lol.

And yeah I'm getting this game.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »

I've been excited for this game for quite a while now so I'll absolutely be buying it when it's released here in the EU. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »

anyone else notice this screw up on gamestop?
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270664
it says Tecmo published and develop this game.
I've also seen a few things that it claims "GameStop" itself made them.
edit: just as I finish posting this, an ad pops up for it. wow.

It's not a screw up, Koei distributed quite a few NISA games. Maybe all of them now? They did the same when Atlus was distributing them, saying they were Atlus games.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »

I was somewhat interested in this game until I saw some video from Totori no Atelier which look so much better and I started thinking that if I am to get the "same" game, I'll get the prettier one.
If this comes at a reasonable price I might rethink, but considering the competition by this end of year I don't think I'll pick it up soon. Little Big Planet 2 has a lot of my attention.

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 10:31:12 AM »

So I checked out like 30minutes of footage. Fighting/Story/Field exploration/alchemy. I really can't say I'm that impressed. The fighting seems to be generic turn based stuff, exploration looks simple with collecting ingredients and fighting bad guys. From what I've seen in the story, it's typical JRPG stuff, people hitting on your character or talking some nonsense about cats and shit. The Alchemy looked interesting and all, but does it really warrant a purchase? I can't see how people are interested in this that much, it seems shallow and boring. And what is with the music, every clip had Dora the explorer music.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 11:50:41 AM »

So I checked out like 30minutes of footage. Fighting/Story/Field exploration/alchemy. I really can't say I'm that impressed. The fighting seems to be generic turn based stuff, exploration looks simple with collecting ingredients and fighting bad guys. From what I've seen in the story, it's typical JRPG stuff, people hitting on your character or talking some nonsense about cats and shit. The Alchemy looked interesting and all, but does it really warrant a purchase? I can't see how people are interested in this that much, it seems shallow and boring. And what is with the music, every clip had Dora the explorer music.

Based on what you just said, no, it doesn't sound like you should buy it.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »

There is a difference between watching a game and playing it.  I can see why you might think the series is boring by watching it simply because you have no control over all of the huge amount of things there is to do.  It's like watching someone play Oblivion!  Oblivion (for me) is fun to play, but watching someone else play it is horrible.

Part of the fun of an Atelier game is managing. You manage time, your skills, your inventory, your relationships with your friends, your quests, and items.  Obviously you're not going to be interested when someone is doing the work for you.

Of course, this might not be your style of game and that's something I can respect.  However, I don't think it's quite right to judge certain titles based off of someone else's play.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »

I never played an Atelier game, but from what you said about it being more about managing kind of interests me. I love the Harvest Moon series and Sim games in general, and having control over what you do is the most appealing aspect to me. Do you have any idea if there are any mini games or customization of any sort in this game?
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »

I never played an Atelier game, but from what you said about it being more about managing kind of interests me. I love the Harvest Moon series and Sim games in general, and having control over what you do is the most appealing aspect to me. Do you have any idea if there are any mini games or customization of any sort in this game?

I haven't looked into the new one too much, but if it's going to be like the originals, the customization comes in the form of alchemy, which is sort of a mini-game?  I guess it's more like a crafting system.  I've actually only played the first, have the 2nd and 3rd sitting on the shelf still.  But you can craft a ton of things through alchemy, healing potions, mana potions, magic grenade type weapons to use in battles.  You use these lil dudes called "Mana" to craft, and you get different recipes, use less or more mats, depending on the Mana you select.  Not sure if any of the later games got into crafting actual equipment or not.
Tailzo
RPG fan from Norway

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »

I'm not sure if I will get this, I might wait for Patrick's review because I trust his opinion when it comes to RPGs..cough Romancing Saga. Thing is, the playing as a ditsy teenage girl shit just doesn't appeal to me at all.
That's my problem too. :(

I agree. I like Rune factory / Harvest Moon. Reading about it makes me almost pre-order it. Looking at the main character makes me close the website before ordering it. But I managed to enjoy Trinity Universe a lot more than I thought, I just skipped eveyr cutscene and focused on the addicting gameplay. So I might buy Rorona...
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »

I'm not sure if I will get this, I might wait for Patrick's review because I trust his opinion when it comes to RPGs..cough Romancing Saga. Thing is, the playing as a ditsy teenage girl shit just doesn't appeal to me at all.
That's my problem too. :(

I agree. I like Rune factory / Harvest Moon. Reading about it makes me almost pre-order it. Looking at the main character makes me close the website before ordering it. But I managed to enjoy Trinity Universe a lot more than I thought, I just skipped eveyr cutscene and focused on the addicting gameplay. So I might buy Rorona...
Yeah. If I'm going to spend a bunch of time crafting/exploring/talking, at least make the character(s) more appealing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: