Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327325 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?  (Read 8365 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 05:52:45 PM »

I'm on the fence about it and also worried that I won't like the time restraints.  I'll read more reviews first.

The game would be terribly easy if the restraints didn't exist at all. The question is: HOW prohibitive are the restraints? I worry that no amount of reading will supply you the answer. If you have GameFly or some other way to "try-before-buy" I really think people on the fence need to do this instead of trusting us "experts." My review, and many like it, will only help the purchasing decisions of people who already have opinions about the nature of the game and its franchise history.

It sucks to realize how limited I am in power. I wish game reviews could be more effective. Sorry guys, I'm not omnipotent.

yet

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:12 AM »

I'm so tempted at getting it now. I think I just want a game like this, slow paced where I don't have to rush to do stuff all the time.

The thing is that Totori no Atelier looks so much more polished that it makes this one looks bad (which it isn't but in comparison).
I think I'll wait until the end of October to decide because after that it will be impossible to order anything online where I live because with christmas the post office here because a total mess.

EDIT:

What the hell, impulse buy! I just ordered it from play-asia! I even managed to find a $5 discount coupon, so no excuse huh :)
I needed something for my RPG fix during the holidays and this will be it!
Well, I'll leave my first impressions when the game arrives.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:27:28 AM by Farron » Logged

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »

I have yet tp play a gust RPG. Item collection and crafting just doesn't seem that interesting to me.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »

I played Ar Tonelico. I enjoyed it... but it also gave me this feeling like, "well... I've done that, but don't need to ever again". Sorry Gust, not buying.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2010, 01:43:37 PM »

It sucks to realize how limited I am in power. I wish game reviews could be more effective. Sorry guys, I'm not omnipotent.

yet

I think you are under-estimating yourself. ;) 

I was thinking it would be more like Rune Factory Frontier in terms of the time limits, but now that you explained it I can see that you can't get around the limits like you could in that game. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2010, 02:11:28 PM »

On the subject of time limits, I would like to note that I have never once felt 'rushed' when playing this game.  Yes, time definitely matters but there is no ticking clock in the corner.  Whenever you do something that will require time the game tells you exactly how much time it will take upfront.  You are forced to make choices in how you spend your time as it really isn't possible to do everything, but time is more like a resource than anything.  It's like going into a store and not having enough money to buy everything so you have to carefully choose what to get.  I think that's a subtle but important distinction from being rushed.

And to Prime Mover:  This game is completely different from Ar Tonelico.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:28 PM »

Based on the reviews I'd still very much like to get the game. I'll definitely be waiting for a price drop or sale, though. I have a hard time paying full price for games these days. I haven't played any other Gust game to my knowledge, so I hope this will serve as a good introduction.

As for the little discussion on reviewing I seem to be late to the party on, I agree that many reviewers on the major sites seem to have absolutely no clue how to actually review games. And many that can put out a good review are not consistent with their quality. This isn't some recent thing. However what is especially concerning for me is that smaller site such as this one seem to be declining in quality as well. It really seems like the whole world is going crazy. Which of course usually means I'm the crazy one, but oh well :S
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2010, 02:31:02 AM »

So I've heard multiple people claim that getting the true ending in this game is challenging.  Either I'm missing something or I'm actually totally awesome at this game...

I'm still on my first playthrough and am currently most of the way through finishing request #5, so I'm still less than half way through the game.  And yet my popularity rating is already at 74%.  I've also gotten 3 stars on every assignment except for one early on when I still wasn't clear how the evaluation worked.  I know what I'm doing now so unless there is a big difficulty spike later on I'm pretty confident I can keep getting 3 stars.

I have been doing side-jobs for characters as well, though maybe not at quite the rate of the normal jobs.  Since I don't seem to have any trouble keeping my popularity up I think I'm going to spen shift priorities a bit for the second half of the game.

Oh yeah, and since I've been doing so many jobs I'm totally loaded.  I have way more money than I even know what to do with.

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »

On a side note, to whoever came up with the "My Roronna" tag line under the review:
I hate you.
Every time I read anything related to this game now that DAMN song gets stuck in my head, lol.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

On a side note, to whoever came up with the "My Roronna" tag line under the review:
I hate you.
Every time I read anything related to this game now that DAMN song gets stuck in my head, lol.

Hey me too.I came to Gamestop and asked an employee "I'll take a copy of Atelier M-m-m-my Rorona"

The guy thankfully knew which game it was and just laughed :)

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2010, 09:12:41 PM »

that was my evil work. Apparently my name got mentioned on a post at RPGamer -- "Curse you Patrick Gann!" for making the comparison. But it was SO obvious. :)

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »

I think I am going to go ahead with the somewhat arrogant plan of trying to set things up so that I can get all four base endings by only having the replay the final assignment.  There are basically only two conditions:  Is popularity greater or less than 80% and do you get more or less than 30 stars on your evaluations (out of a possible 36).  The combination of the two conditions gives four possible endings.

The popularity thing should be trivial for me at this point.  Even if I get my popularity up to 100% (which seems likely at the rate I'm going) it's easy enough to intentionally bring it down by just accepting a bunch of jobs and not completing them.  The tricky part is the evaluations for the king's assignments.  I assume you still have to complete all the assignments (meaning at least 1 star), so that means a possible spread of only two stars for the final assignment.  I have to be careful not to keep getting three stars on everything because that would actually give me too many points at the end no matter how badly I did on the final assignment.  Does anyone know if the turning point is strictly greater than 30 or greater than or equal to 30?  This will likely matter.

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »

-.- Could it be that EU AR-release has been postphoned without larger notice?

Last time I checked release was stated for today (15th oct) but... checking out amazon now lists it for 22th? WTH?

I was looking forward to it and only didn't pre-order it in US because I thought I could wait those two weeks, but now it's almost a month later -.-
That's what I get for being patient for once...
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »

-.- Could it be that EU AR-release has been postphoned without larger notice?

Last time I checked release was stated for today (15th oct) but... checking out amazon now lists it for 22th? WTH?

I was looking forward to it and only didn't pre-order it in US because I thought I could wait those two weeks, but now it's almost a month later -.-
That's what I get for being patient for once...

You should have imported the asian version in english, that what I did. It was almost 10 dollars cheaper than the regular US version.
Well, I have to import either way because any game released here where I live, Brazil, could reach the equivalent of US$150. That's right, more than double the price. Noticing that you live either in AU or Europe, the price of the asian version should already be a bargain to you.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2010, 03:33:19 AM »

Well, finally finished my first playthrough.  Got 100% popularity and 100 friendship level with every character.  I really didn't think it was that hard.  Did take a lot of time in the real life time, though.  Much of which was spent doing nothing by managing my inventory...

As I planned I set it up so that my performance on the last assignment will determine my ending, so I just have to replay the last 3 months (and not work very hard at it...) to get the 'good' ending (got 'true' my first time).  Unfortunately, I can't get 'normal' or 'bad' because it seems no matter what I do my popularity won't drop.  It would naturally fluctuate back when I was still building it up (seems to drop if you don't do any jobs for a while), but it seems that once it hits the magic 100 it's locked in.  There's nothing you can do to make people dislike you after that.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: