Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 02:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319227 Posts in 13034 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?  (Read 8107 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »

I'm not sure if I will get this, I might wait for Patrick's review because I trust his opinion when it comes to RPGs..cough Romancing Saga. Thing is, the playing as a ditsy teenage girl shit just doesn't appeal to me at all.
That's my problem too. :(

I never played an Atelier game, but from what you said about it being more about managing kind of interests me. I love the Harvest Moon series and Sim games in general, and having control over what you do is the most appealing aspect to me. Do you have any idea if there are any mini games or customization of any sort in this game?
I agree. I like Rune factory / Harvest Moon. Reading about it makes me almost pre-order it. Looking at the main character makes me close the website before ordering it. But I managed to enjoy Trinity Universe a lot more than I thought, I just skipped eveyr cutscene and focused on the addicting gameplay. So I might buy Rorona...
Yeah. If I'm going to spend a bunch of time crafting/exploring/talking, at least make the character(s) more appealing.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat - it really doesn't feel like there is anything innovating here either to justify a $50 purchase that will likely end up being fodder for another game I would buy with trade-in money.
Plus, I'm through with...
  • games that comment on how "kawaaaaiiiii" a kitty is (thank you for this relevation)
  • ditsy, tumbling, bumbling teenagers who have the IQ to qualify for retardation
  • the one big-boobed girl everyone gushes on while tit-grabbing jokes are made at the expense of less endowed women
  • your one bitch character who fails to have a soft spot
  • your one character who is motherfucken silent and unemotional... always, except for 3 words a day
  • 16 year old acting like 6 years olds...both in personality and ...um, in this games 3D
  • Anyone voiced by Wendee Lee

I have reeaalllly grown bored and tired of these typical J-archetypes - my IQ drops, they're not funny, and they're not interesting.  I'm a 20-something who's playing a girl who's hobbies are "baking pie".  But hey, at least we have Pamela the Ghost back!  Oh wait, poor thing possesed a Teddy Bear!!  HAHAHALOLOLOL that's fucken priceless!!!  And juvenile.

I don't doubt the game is charming and good.... at $20 or so.

I'm not really one to judge by graphics either; but this game puts Kishida Mel's art to shame (I;m glad Totori attempts to rectify it; just hopefully NISA can scrounge up the sales for this one to be motivated for the 2nd)...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 08:17:51 PM »

I might get Rorona

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 09:09:01 PM »

So, I did some more research. Even if Patrick loves this game, I'm going to pass. It just doesn't seem like it warrants a 50-60$ purchase.
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 01:05:33 AM »

I've played Atelier Iris 1-3, Mana Khemia 1 & 2 and Atelier Annie.

Despite some blunders and things making me wince (MK2 - Ulrika's side. Almost all of it), I could enjoy those. I don't think I'll have a problem with Atelier Rorona.
Side from that, I think Rorona is just going to be like Annie, just on PS3.

Seeing how Totori is going to build up on Rorona, I'm surely not going to skip out playing the first part...
Even if I have to wait until 15th October.
I'd import it if most seller didn't state a delivery time up to 2 weeks to EU.
And if I really wouldn't like the game - which I doubt - I can always sell it for 3/4 the price or at least half the price. *shrugs*
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »

anyone else notice this screw up on gamestop?
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270664
it says Tecmo published and develop this game.
I've also seen a few things that it claims "GameStop" itself made them.
edit: just as I finish posting this, an ad pops up for it. wow.

It's not a screw up, Koei distributed quite a few NISA games. Maybe all of them now? They did the same when Atlus was distributing them, saying they were Atlus games.

How far back was that?
Atlus also distributed this one or maybe it was exclusive to that store.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »

Pat's review makes me so wet.

Why did I sell my PS3 so I could eat that week. WHY!? I should have fasted.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 01:57:19 PM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 03:31:51 PM »

Really? I read the review and it backed up my hunch that this game isn't worth 50$. Nothing new or compelling, but I could see why some people were looking forward to this, and still are.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

Really? I read the review and it backed up my hunch that this game isn't worth 50$. Nothing new or compelling, but I could see why some people were looking forward to this, and still are.

I think the review seems different to people depending on whether or not they are familiar with games made by Gust. I am not saying that if you are familiar with them you will go "Oh, I read the review and it is so worth the $50"  but rather you can guess more accurately what the gameplay will be like from Pat's review.

I could almost see him trying to avoid saying the words "Atelier Annie" from reading it.

Cosign

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »

I decided to skip Atelier Rorona and went and bought the Japanese version of Atelier Totori straight up. Although the 3d models are much more prettier, I am really feeling how much characterization from the first game I am missing out.

If anything, it is worth it for the skits because they do wonders at making the characters the character they are.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2010, 05:28:07 PM »

*reads RPGfan review*

I most likely will get Atelier Rorona

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »

The review definitely made me want it more. That's what I want in my Atelier games and I do find them compelling.

There's not a lot I can say to explain why this makes me want it beyond that.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »

Hope you enjoy it!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »

I could almost see him trying to avoid saying the words "Atelier Annie" from reading it.

Did you listen to the podcast or are you just THAT perceptive?

Yes, I intentionally avoided the comparison in the writing. Why? Well ... because quite frankly I thought Annie was terrible and I think Rorona is pretty darn good. Not the best game in the series, but *maybe* the best game in the series that uses the old style of play (which we Westerners are only now learning about).

Annie wasn't a terrible game BECAUSE of the gameplay style though. No, Annie was terrible because IMO the characters were completely non-endearing, plus I just don't think Gust is cut out to put games on the GBA or DS. They're not exactly experts when it comes to compression of graphics: they thrive on not having to compress the simplest of sprites and animations, and so when they have to things get ugly. Same goes for the sound.

Rather than take all the time to explain that and distance Annie and Rorona in the review I thought it better to just not bring the subject up in writing. But the lucky few who read this post (or listen to the podcast) will know the truth. Because my opinion is so totally important, right? I'm worried that I'm becoming self-absorbed... :P

Also, I wonder what my wife would say if I told her someone read my writing and said it made them "wet." A true achievement. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

Did you listen to the podcast or are you just THAT perceptive?

It was more from things such as comparing Rorona's time limit to mana khemia when it sounds exactly like Atelier Annies. Also the assignments.I personally really enjoyed Atelier Annie but I can understand how you disliked it. To be honest the first thing I thought of after reading your review was that if I obtain any pure waters I am never selling them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:51:02 PM by Darilon » Logged

Hobbun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 06:59:38 PM »

I already have this on preorder and will be picking it up tomorrow. Although I will admit I am a bit unsure about the game from what I have read on it. I was gung ho on it first, because it looked great and being turn-based is a huge bonus for me. But when reading that you only have 3 years and everything is time based, including adventuring, I'm a bit leery. I don't like being rushed in my games, or miss things because something has transpired.

Persona 3 did the same (haven't played 4, yet) but it wasn't to the point where I couldn't get almost everything done, it sounds different with this one. But, I am going to try it either way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: