Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 03:56:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334701 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Anyone planning to pick up Atelier Rorona?  (Read 8844 times)
wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2010, 03:50:15 AM »

You should have imported the asian version in english, that what I did. It was almost 10 dollars cheaper than the regular US version.
Well, I have to import either way because any game released here where I live, Brazil, could reach the equivalent of US$150. That's right, more than double the price. Noticing that you live either in AU or Europe, the price of the asian version should already be a bargain to you.

I didn't knew the asian version was english too, or I'd have done so right away instead of waiting for a translation ><
I'm seriously regretting buying the EU version (living in EU to answer your wondering ;) ). Not only did I get it later (well, I'm getting it today, an day earlier than announced), for a more expensive price, NO stupid EU Version doesn't even have ANY goodies, despite preordering ASAP -.-

I'll stick with importing from now on. Screw own industry.

I'm starting to feel like an idiot for owning only legal copys of my games too...

Well, despite all that, I still got all cheerful and hyped up and looking forward to play the game when i got the notice yesterday that it has arrived.
Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to pick it up then :3
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »

Mine is yet to arrive. The shipping from Hong Kong is usually fast to come here, but the clearance of customs takes a while.
The thing that makes me pissed for owing them legally is having to wait so much to actually get the game. For example, I had to mod my Wii because is is japanese, so it's not region locked anymore, and when I buy a game on it while I wait I'll go and burn a back so I can play right away, instead of waiting ages for it to arrive.

Well, finally finished my first playthrough.  Got 100% popularity and 100 friendship level with every character.  I really didn't think it was that hard.  Did take a lot of time in the real life time, though.  Much of which was spent doing nothing by managing my inventory...

As I planned I set it up so that my performance on the last assignment will determine my ending, so I just have to replay the last 3 months (and not work very hard at it...) to get the 'good' ending (got 'true' my first time).  Unfortunately, I can't get 'normal' or 'bad' because it seems no matter what I do my popularity won't drop.  It would naturally fluctuate back when I was still building it up (seems to drop if you don't do any jobs for a while), but it seems that once it hits the magic 100 it's locked in.  There's nothing you can do to make people dislike you after that.

You did all that in your first playthrough ? Wow!
Would you care for some tips ?
Actually I have a question too, you know that girl who stays next to Stern taking quests ? Is she the one that raises your popularity ?

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »

You did all that in your first playthrough ? Wow!
Would you care for some tips ?
Actually I have a question too, you know that girl who stays next to Stern taking quests ? Is she the one that raises your popularity ?

Etsy gives out the general assignments that raise your popularity.  She's at the front desk of the palace.  Character-specifc popularity is raised by taking jobs from those characters, which is actually kind of a pain because you have to wander all over town to find them...

My general advice is to go after low-hanging fruit.  Which is to say, you don't lose anything by not accepting a job, only by accepting a job and not completing it.  Build up a stock of items in your container and look for jobs you can satisfy right away.  (If you don't remember exactly what's in your container use the 'contemplate' option on the job.  Rorona will note if she has enough already.)

Also, abuse the heck out of shops.  Early on there are a few item types requested that can just be purchased at a shop and then turned it for a profit.  Not a large profit, but it doesn't matter.  If you complete a job that means another will be available soon.  Sometimes it's even the same type.  Later on when you unlock the option to register things you've synthesized in shops (meaning you can just buy additional copies of that item instead of wasting time synthesizing it again) this becomes even more effective.

Constantly check for new jobs.  Whenever time passes new jobs can become available.  Check early and often.  As mentioned this can be a pain for the character requests because they're scattered all over.

Don't ever rest.  Well, maybe during the first request when you still don't have much money.  But in general it's better to just buy food/healing items than to waste your time resting.  Also, whenever you go out to gather ingredients you actually recover some HP during the travel time to/from the location, so if you alternate synthesizing and gathering you can keep your HP pretty steady without items.

Of course bring a healer along when gathering (Iksel or Lionela).  And don't have too many jobs hanging so you have time to explore, especially later in the game when the travel times to/from some of the locations are quite significant.

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »

I got my game, but only got to play for two hours, cause my sis was visiting by (rare event).

And out of interest: Water. Is there any place early on that I'm missing or do you only have the option to buy it at the beginning?

I went through all the tutorials to see if there was anything new. I actually regret that there isn't the option to swap out ingredients to get OTHER recipes like in AI 1-3. I enjoyed experimenting with that a lot.
On the other hand it's fine like this too. At least I can't miss out an important recipe that way :3

I'm having fun thought ^^ I like Iksy and Sterk(y) a lot ^^

Rorona really is a bit... extreme in her emotional expressions thought.
To be honest, I'd exchange her any time for one of male main characters from AI or even MK.

For a first try on 3D like that I think they did a good job. It reminds me a bit of Radiata History. The camera being unadjustable is super annoying thought.
Looking forward to Totori thought ^^

Characters that annoy me so far:
Rorona's parents.
It's nice to see the main character finally having parents that are human and ALIVE and even slightly involved in the game... BUT!
What kind of parents are they?! They have a debt, because of them, that Rorona is working off and they can go on a journey / vacation?! -.-

My two cents so far :)
And I'm probably messing up the first friendship (shop) quest XD I was sure that I had those items, but somehow I didn't? Probably accidentlly used them for some synthesing...

What does one keep when going on a new game?
I'm sure I read it before somewhere, but I couldn't find it when skipping through.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »

And out of interest: Water. Is there any place early on that I'm missing or do you only have the option to buy it at the beginning?

There is a well just outside of Rorona's shop where you can get water for free.  Took me a while to notice that myself.  Still, the water you buy is great quality and it's worth stockpiling a bit (since you can only buy 5 units until it's restocked).  For a while I would just buy 5 units of water whenever it was back in stock.  It's useful for all kinds of things where quality matters, since early in the game it's easily the highest quality ingredient you have access to.  I used it a lot when making suppliments, for instance, which in turn are an ingredient for all sorts of things.  It matters a lot less late in the game, though.

wildcard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2010, 02:57:09 PM »

Thanks a lot!

I was really surprised that I didn't have any option within the workshop or anything close by, because as good as all Atelier games I've played so far had some sort of water-accesspoint close by :3
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep them in mind.
I just tracked my game and it should arrive next week!
From reading and all I good thing I could find was to use that teleport item to get out of dungeons as you don't use the time needed to get back to the workshop, so you use only half the time.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »

I'll pick it up when I (hopefully) get a PS3 this summer, along with the new Ar Tolenico and Demon's Souls.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: