Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 01:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331477 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Marathon!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Marathon!  (Read 5634 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »

Secret of Mana

SoM seemed to glitchy and slow to really feel *modern* to me. Some combination of waiting for attacks to recharge, waiting for special attacks to charge, and the flaky collision detection just make the game feel clunky and archaic to me. It's real time and everything but it still somehow manages to play like a turn-based game and I don't like that.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 12:35:59 AM »

PS5 -This game was...
Oh wait.

Haha! Yeah I wonder if Sega will ever will ever return to the original series and make a PS5.  I'm only at the end of the first one so far, and I've been trying to avoid spoilers, but I read that IV pretty much wraps the whole thing up.  I haven't played either PS Online or PS Universe.  Though I have PS Online on my computer set up with the SCHTHACK private server, I haven't gotten around to taking it for a spin.

You've heard correctly. PSIV wraps everything up in a nice neat bow. Now the developers have said in the past that there were plans for a PSV (focusing on the entity of light or whatever now that the universe's entity of darkness was put to the Nei Sword) but like all of Sega's properties they decided that this too needed to be ignored until dead. Also could be a case of writers wanting to add just one more powerlevel jump to the battles already being fought on a galactic scale until the gods themselves are being shown up by an idiot nerdy teen/part-time ridiculous superhero and his living again, dead again idiot savant of a father with the amazing ability to grow his already ridiculous hair down to the floor in mere minutes.

Secret of Mana

SoM seemed to glitchy and slow to really feel *modern* to me. Some combination of waiting for attacks to recharge, waiting for special attacks to charge, and the flaky collision detection just make the game feel clunky and archaic to me. It's real time and everything but it still somehow manages to play like a turn-based game and I don't like that.

For a game that nearly dodge the scrap heap due to the Nintendo Playstation inconveniently not existing it did pretty well for itself. It looked prettier than Lufia 1, FFs IV, V, and MQ, BoF1, and anything on the PS3 at least. Sure, even if you remove the bugs, the game wasn't that balanced given magic's overpoweredness later in the game. But if you didn't like to sit there all day grinding the exact same spells up to level 8 it wasn't too bad. And yes the ally's AI was atrocious but that's why you got other people to play them for you. It had a limited inventory but in a good way (can only carry 4 Cups of Wishes and Fairies Walnuts at any given point and can't switch out crap like Candy and Barrels for more Cups of Wishes and Fairies Walnuts), spells coming in groups (making utility spells more viable than list fodder since they grow with your attack spells), weapons that were both distinct and mostly even in effectiveness at most points (too bad weapon traits didn't accumulate over forgings as cases like Gigas Axe being statistically more powerful than its upgrade Doom Axe made it less viable to upgrade it, especially given that the DOOM Axe was the 'top' Axe), all while armor still functioned just like every other JRPG at the time (although a little description of any added effects the armor provided would've been nice).

To me, the game felt like it was more than just the sum of its parts. It's too bad that the series basically ignored the game in favor of going overboard with feature creep and useless gimmicks, and trying to retroactively rewrite the series (especially this game) to bring it in line with Squeenix's need to make everything as pretentious and ridiculously dramatic as possible.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 01:44:21 AM »

Phantasy Star 1 down!  What a cool game =D Definitely ahead of its' time.  Next up, Phantasy Star II.  I know how most of you guys feel about this one lol.  Apparently, I've got some hair pulling frustration and gratuitous swearing ahead of me, fun!  Wheeeeeeee, here we go!

In regards to Secret of Mana, I enjoyed it.  It did have some frustrating little quirks if I remember.  It didn't really leave an impression on me though.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 01:49:23 AM »

I also remember the game going by way too fast. Plus, it was too easy. Coming from a guy who likes things easy, that's saying something

I actually think PS4 is one of the most well-balanced RPGs I've ever played. Pretty much any amount of grinding would make the game too easy, but if you're someone who likes going straight to the end (Which is what I almost always do the first playthrough), it was pretty much the right difficulty the whole way through.

As for SoM, it's been a long time since I played it, but I remember the only real reason I played it was because it was the really one of the only RPGs at the time that allowed multiplayer. The gameplay iself broke down to be pretty meh, yeah.

I'll remember the soundtrack forever though.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 03:20:06 AM »

I'll remember the soundtrack forever though.

Sometimes I'd turn the game on just to listen to the title music.
Akito

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »

The cool part about 4 was that grinding to me was actually fun! The random battles were so smooth and crisp, the macro system made it that much more simple. Anyone remember grinding those giant sand worms? Good times...

Really makes you hate long load times between random battles in today's RPGs.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »

Anyone remember grinding those giant sand worms?

My girlfriend sure does.

o/` I do not dream o/`

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »

I also remember the game going by way too fast. Plus, it was too easy. Coming from a guy who likes things easy, that's saying something

I actually think PS4 is one of the most well-balanced RPGs I've ever played. Pretty much any amount of grinding would make the game too easy, but if you're someone who likes going straight to the end (Which is what I almost always do the first playthrough), it was pretty much the right difficulty the whole way through.

Back when I played this game, I was quite the grinding fool. With rpgs, too.
ba-dum, tsh!

So, yes, by the time I got to the final boss, my levels were pretty darn high.
There's no such thing as a "first playthrough" for me. Just the one playthrough and that's it. You people and your free time.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »

Ps1 is great, almost require map and the final area is a very lowblow if you know what i mean.  Also, my brothers who played the game still joke about the enter 3 time for passport thingy.

ps2 grind, just a grind.  Remember when you enter dezo area where those floating sword can almost one-two shot anyone beside main or the gun guy.  

ps3  Interesting concept but it feel  medieval.

ps4.  I love it, I bough it the day it come out for like 80 bucks from my local game store.  It is no chrono trigger but it come pretty damn close and it end the ps algo solar system story line very nicely.  It can get a bit hard some time, I remember when I first play the game, I got owned by Zios, DF 1-3 and LaXXis without grinding a bit.  Final boss is not too hard through.  PS, Rune and Wren from this game ROCK.  Come on, I am sure most of you crack a laugh at the space shuffle after the battle cs.  
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:14:48 PM by xellos2099 » Logged
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »

The reason I got the Sega Genesis collection for the 360 was because it had PS 2, 3 AND 4. Can't beat it. I had a Genesis back in the day, but the only RPG's I played on it were Sword Of Vermillion, Shining In The Darkness and a few others. I plan on playing them all, but when I did check a bit of each one out they did seem archaic and old timey to the extreme.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »

Anyone remember grinding those giant sand worms?

My girlfriend sure does.

LOL

There's no such thing as a "first playthrough" for me. Just the one playthrough and that's it. You people and your free time.

Same here, I just like to get on to the next one.  Unless there's a new game+ option,  I abused the hell outta that with Chrono Trigger.

The reason I got the Sega Genesis collection for the 360 was because it had PS 2, 3 AND 4. Can't beat it. I had a Genesis back in the day, but the only RPG's I played on it were Sword Of Vermillion, Shining In The Darkness and a few others. I plan on playing them all, but when I did check a bit of each one out they did seem archaic and old timey to the extreme.

I think PS 1 is on that collection as well, but you have to unlock it?  What I heard anyway.  I can only speak for the first two,  they are definitely old-timey, but somewhere between Wizardry and Final Fantasy V and way ahead of their time when they first came out.  I've been playing old games almost exclusively lately, so it's not as big of a culture shock to me anymore.  Just getting to PS II now, and it's kickin' my ass.

Also, I just realized how horrible the box art is for every game.  The only one that's semi-acceptable is III.  I guess it was just the times that marketing thought that RPGs wouldn't sell unless the cover looked like a Robert Jordan book.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:28:57 PM by Archendrus » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 12:43:36 AM »

I generally don't play through games more than once either unless I really, really liked it. And even then, it's probably only if there's multiple endings or dialogue trees, that sort of thing.

I rush through games the first time for the same reason- I want to move onto the next one.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »

Play through games? I RARELY finish games. I mean, hell, I usually stop playing around the 20 hour mark. That's about the most a game can hold my interest.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »

Play through games? I RARELY finish games. I mean, hell, I usually stop playing around the 20 hour mark. That's about the most a game can hold my interest.

The end is always the worst part anyhow.

That being said, I almost always finish a game when I start it. I have an annoying habit of giving inanimate objects feelings and crap, and all I can hear in my head is "Plaaaaay meeeeeee." while the boxart gives me puppy dog eyes.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »

Ps1 is great, almost require map and the final area is a very lowblow if you know what i mean.  Also, my brothers who played the game still joke about the enter 3 time for passport thingy.

I had to check a walkthrough to figure out that part. Wasted hours wandering around not knowing what to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: