Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 07:20:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327456 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Marathon!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Marathon!  (Read 5591 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »

Do you mean that door you have to turn and face to find lassic's room because otherwise you can't see it?

Or do you mean Baya Malay?

because I fucked up and had to do Baya Malay twice and I never found it that problematic. Right hand rule, again.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 01:23:55 AM »

Do you mean that door you have to turn and face to find lassic's room because otherwise you can't see it?

Or do you mean Baya Malay?

because I fucked up and had to do Baya Malay twice and I never found it that problematic. Right hand rule, again.

What's the right hand rule?  I mapped Baya Malay up to the first small section of level 3, at which point my map was confusing me lol so I just winged it past that.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2010, 03:33:25 AM »

What's the right hand rule?

When in a standard corridor maze just follow the right(Or left) hand wall and you'll eventually come to the exit.

I'm surprised it works well in phantasy star 1 though. It has pit traps in lots of it's dungeons which should make for a pretty solid counter to the rule.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »

What's the right hand rule?

When in a standard corridor maze just follow the right(Or left) hand wall and you'll eventually come to the exit.

I'm surprised it works well in phantasy star 1 though. It has pit traps in lots of it's dungeons which should make for a pretty solid counter to the rule.

Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot sometime =D I'd never heard of that before.

Well, Phantasy Star II....I cant say I wasnt warned lol.  I don't really mind the grind, I've seen worse.  The dungeons were obviously created inside the darkest corner of Satan's ass by the foulest demons from the lowest level of hell.  Throwing enemies that can two shot you at the top/bottom of a dungeon was pretty poor form too.  Even so, I'm still enjoying it lol and I'm determined to finish it.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »

It has pit traps in lots of it's dungeons which should make for a pretty solid counter to the rule.

That's only a problem in the cat weapon dungeon thing.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »

Phantasy Star II down!  I haven't gotten that frustrated with a game in a long time.  The grinding I didn't really mind, I used to play Lineage II lol.  The randomly over-powered enemies I didn't mind too much.  The thing that really got me....the dungeons....holy sadism Batman. 

To be honest, my least favorite part of any RPG are dungeons.  Some I've enjoyed, like the types of dungeons that have cool puzzles to solve.  PSII dungeons are just a mess of stairs and dead ends, and more stairs.  Nothing was more frustrating than making it 3 or 4 levels up/down in a dungeon, only to find out there's only one path to the end and you have to pick the right stairway on the FIRST floor to find it (usually out of several possible stairways).  I ended up using the hint book maps for most of them, otherwise I probably would've given up on the game.  I salute anyone who beat this game without maps.

Dungeons aside, I enjoyed the game.  I don't think it'll make it into my favorites, but it was pretty good.  The gloomy story mixed with the sadistic dungeons and sometimes harder than average fights make for a pretty bleak RPG experience.  I thought it was kinda funny how this bleak gameplay content was presented with bright bold colors and a super boppy soundtrack.
It's kinda like depression and despair wrapped up in cheerful Christamas wrapping paper with a bow on top.

On to Phantasy Star III! =D
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2010, 12:16:08 AM »

Not that anyone's payin' attention anymore as the moment has passed, but I like documenting my progress here =D Just finished Phantasy Star III.  I liked it better than two because it didn't make me bang my head up against the wall like PSII.  The story was pretty good, but still told in that old school way, very cut and dry and not very well presented.  The game did feel a little unpolished and lifeless though, lots of empty towns and empty houses.  No grind at all, but lots of backtracking through dungeons to get to the various worlds which got real old, real quick.  Still, a decent game and I enjoyed it.  On to the Cadillac of the series, Phantasy Star IV!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2010, 12:23:08 AM »

I follow this with great interest
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »

Just finished Phantasy Star III.  I liked it better than two because it didn't make me bang my head up against the wall like PSII.

i didn't really like PS3 but I didn't really dislike it the same way I disliked PS2. Did have a neat style though, sort of.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »

in a related note, where is the Phantasy Star Portable 2 review?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »

The music in PS III was a total downgrade from the first two games. Heck, even the graphics looked "odd" compared to 2.
Good thing IV fixed all this.
except for the final dungeon. ugh
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:22:40 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »

The music in PS was a total downgrade from the first two games. Heck, even the graphics looked "odd" compared to 2.
Good thing IV fixed all this.
except for the final dungeon. ugh

PSIII's music was...just weird! lol  You can tell they put alot of work into the music, but I think the time could've been better spent giving the game world more "life".  There was some really good tunes, and some really bizzare tunes.  I thought it was kinda cool how the music changed depending on certain circumstances, like for every new party member you get, the world map song gets another instrument.  Or, if you have a dead party member, it plays a different song altogether.  The 20 different songs that play during battle depending on how it's going was a bit much though, because battles go pretty quick so the songs keep changing.

I've only just "peeked" into PSIV so far, didn't really have time to get into it, but was curious as to what it's like.  I can already tell it has the potential for awesomeness.  After playing nothing but really old RPGs for months, it's nice to see some "modern" RPG touches, such as dialog, cutscenes, a shared inventory, a good presentation of story as opposed to "read between the lines" to kinda figure out the story. Oh! and weapon/armor shops that let you know who can equip what, man I've missed that. 
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »

What were you playing this on again?
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »

What were you playing this on again?

Playin' them on the actual Sega Master System and Genesis =D  Hooked up to an old crappy CRT television.  Feels like 1992 again lol
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »

Yeah after reading about your experiences with PS1-3, I'm probably never gonna touch those games and end the series on a good note with my positive PS4 experience. lol

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: