Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:20:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319583 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Marathon!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Marathon!  (Read 5518 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »

in a related note, where is the Phantasy Star Portable 2 review?

Working on it.  Got sidetracked by Fallout New Vegas for a release-date review.  Expect it this week-ish.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »

Yeah after reading about your experiences with PS1-3, I'm probably never gonna touch those games and end the series on a good note with my positive PS4 experience. lol

haha! Yeah, they do require some determination to play nowadays.  It's amazing how different the very early RPGs are from even what we consider old school like Final Fantasy VI or Breath of Fire.  It's almost like playing two different genres. PSII and III were a chore to play sometimes, but PS1 was really cool. Despite having that archaic feel, it had some surprises that were ahead of its' time.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 12:54:22 AM »

Phantasy Star IV finished!!  Awesome game =D  They took the best parts of the previous three (mostly 1 + 2), polished them up, and cranked out an excellent ending to the original series.  While IV was byfar the best of them all, I'm glad I played the first three.  I loved that, while each had their own story, it was all part of a bigger story. I wish more RPGs would do something like that.  I liked re-visiting locations from the previous games, catching all the references, seeing characters from the earlier titles. 

I haven't played any of the newer Phantasy Star games, but from what I understand, they're quite a departure from the original series.  It seems a shame to switch it up just when Sega had gotten it "just right".

While it was kinda fun to play all the games back to back, I don't think I'll do that again with another series. I still intend to go through some others in chronological order, just with some other games inbetween.  I'd probably enjoy them more if I took my time with them.  At times I felt I was playing any given installment just to get on to the next one. 

Well it's been emotional. I laughed, I cried (well, not really but y'know), I threw my controller a dozen times, and now I can say I am well versed in the Phantasy Star universe =D   
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 01:03:50 AM »

I salute thee.

I wonder what the chances of Sega returning to a traditional RPG format are?

I want to give Phantasy Star Portable a shot. It looks fun, but not compelling.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »

I would join in, but I only liked the original Phantasy Star and the MMOs. Still, good luck to the rest!

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »

I wonder what the chances of Sega returning to a traditional RPG format are?
I so wish they would...:(

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »

I missed this thread originally.

I would have been up for it in the summer, but not during school :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2010, 10:44:04 PM »

I missed this thread originally.

I would have been up for it in the summer, but not during school :/

Yeah, my gameplay has slowed a 'lil since I've gone back to school, not much lol but a 'lil.  Makes good homework breaks =D

Also, anyone have any experience with the new Phantasy Star's? Online or otherwise?  They look more like 3rd person adventure games than RPGs to me at first glance.  Wondering if they're worth taking a look at and what common elements of the originals, if any, are there.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2010, 01:22:52 AM »

I've beaten Phantasy Star Online version 1 for the Dreamcast and I can tell you it's nothing like the originals. It's pretty much a MMORPG like everyone says. The offline mode has a very thinly developed storyline as well. You most likely won't enjoy it. I'd stay away from it.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2010, 01:28:52 AM »

PSO had a really great premise and a mysterious atmosphere, but didn't have much of anything in terms of story. I would really love to see a more developed story involving the incident surrounding Ragol (Which does happen a bit in PSO Episode III, but it's not an RPG). You can play PSOBB for free on private servers like Schthack or whatever, so you don't lose anything other than your time if you really wanted to try it out.

PSU was...not very good. Well, in terms of online experience at least, which had more to do with Sega's crappy service. They're a bit like Monster Hunter games if you like that sort of thing. Let's not mention PSU's "story".

And PSO2 has been announced, with no details on it whatsoever. Given Sonic Team's track record, I expect it to suck.

EDIT: As far as connections go, there's a few ones that PSO has with the original games (particularly 2 I believe it was). Most things people point to in PSU as connections feel more like homages/references than anything.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:36:27 AM by Hathen » Logged
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »

Hmm, that's kind of dissapointing = \  I may check out PSO because, as you said, it's been abandoned and is now free and has at least some connection to the originals.  I probably won't bother with PSU, no 360 here.  Google tells me that the PS Portables are basically sequels to PSU.  I probably won't run right out and buy them, but I might take 'em for a spin at some point.  I have lower standards for hand-helds so I might find them entertaining for an hour at time.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »

PSO would've been fun if it wasn't for a very few, very stupid decisions, ie, being mostly grind, or having to kill every enemy in a room to leave said room.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »

Arch, did you keep track of anything? Like how long each game took?

Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »

Arch, did you keep track of anything? Like how long each game took?

Not formally, but I'd say....

Phantasy Star I -  About 35 hours, mainly because of all the map drawing.  Could probably shave 15 hours off that if using internet maps.

Phantasy Star II - About 20 hours, I used internet maps, but even figuring out the maps took a ton of time! lol. I'd say about 5 hours was spent on the grind

Phantasy Star III - About 15 hours, this was the shortest, and it felt like it.  No grind at all and pretty much a straight shot through the whole game.

Phantasy Star IV - About 25 hours, I spent maybe 2 hours grindin' a lil'.  There's a lot of content in this one, main story wise, and a few sidequests
25 is the usual time it takes me to finish an RPG of this era

III - IV all took me 13 days finish, Ooooo creeeepy lol. 
Some quick calculations show that around 11 pots of coffee,  14 packs of smokes, and 4 12-packs of Pepsi were harmed in the making of this marathon =D
xellos2099

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 03:39:32 AM »

Really?  Only 20 hours for Phantasy Star 2?  I recall that I had the hardest tiem fighting against Dark Force and Mother Brain till I hit lvl35. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: