Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318937 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Do you take notes on games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Do you take notes on games?  (Read 2931 times)
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »

It's been a very long time since I posted here, but I was wondering...

I often, when playing RPGs, end up taking notes. This can vary from sketching out leveling/building plans for various characters, to plot points and other information. For instance, when I was playing SMT:N, I kept a notebook for enemy data, Analysing every new enemy and jotting down their stats. Other times I'll write down the major plot points and what I'm supposed to do next--this is a big help when I have to put a game down for an extended period of time. When I don't do it, I'm screwed. I just started playing a game again and ended up restarting, because I couldn't remember what I'd been doing--it had been several months since I'd played.

When I played Suikoden III with my girlfriend, we kept a notebook for plot points and what happened in the game, because we didn't always play together. I'd come home and she'd tell me what happened in the game and I could review what she wrote down. I sometimes took things to extremes and made transcripts of all the dialogue for her.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask because I genuinely wonder if this obsessive note-taking and researching into the game is something other people do, if it is particular to fans of RPGs.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:46:06 AM »

For games like Suikoden and pokemon I tend to write down what characters I have yet to obtain.

I also wrote up what skills I would be obtaining for Etrian Odyssey 1. Etrian Odyssey 2 was a lot more kind when allowing you to replace your skill points a second time.

Again with Suikoden I wrote up what I knew about trading post items. I always loved that aspect of the game, especially after you get Viki.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »

Oh, you're not alone. :)  I actually bought the game being advertised to my right as I type this, Crusade of Destiny, the other day, and had to draw out a little map of a thing or two as I played.

In Diablo II, I had a character I really wanted to push to lvl 99, and he's at 82, so I made a chart of where to put my remaining skill points.

Etc.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »

It's definitely not exclusive to RPG fans. Never took notes for RPGs myself, but I definitely took some in order to solve puzzles for various games, especially ones in the Survival-Horror genre. But that was back in the day. A tree can solve any puzzle in today's games.

As for Nocturne I relied solely on memory. Thank God ATLUS decided to eliminate the need to analyze the same enemy twice with recent Persona games.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 01:31:08 PM »

I have for a few games.
particularly tales or wild arms games

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »

I took notes for WoW. Writing down the biggest upgrades to go after first, some crafting stuff etc.

Otherwise, I take notes, but generally just simple stuff. Like last time I played DQ8 I wasn't just going '100 points in two skills' as my character plan so I wrote things down so I wouldn't accidentally give someone too many skillpoints.

And of course, when a game pretty much forces you to.

'The password for the door is Ji@xR^uWh╥EB28ぬ9*/i'ę'
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »

For Dark Cloud 2 I had to take Georama and Invention notes.

Same goes for White Knight Chronicles and Georama

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 01:53:29 PM »

Not typically but some old dos games that lack in game journals -- like ultima 4-7 for instance -- I'll do it for as well as various other games with either a lot of hidden stuff or sidequests I need to remember or just a lot of variables to track at once.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »

That one dungeon in PS2 with all those god damn pits in it.

Turned out that the ninth and final Nei item was with Lutz all along (the bastard).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »

I just take notes for stuff like strange numbers I come across, passwords, stuff like that. I usually don't need a reminder beyond that.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

I have a binder with SO3 written on it.
Basically made my own game manual since the real one was awful.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »

No modern game should require note taking. Especially for RPGs, I greatly appreciate developers that take the time to add automaps, autonotes, plot summaries, bestiaries, etc.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 03:33:01 PM »

I'm generally not someone inclined to jot down notes except for class (and sometimes not even then, regardless of how foolish that may be), but I may make a checklist. I did this for Tales of Vesperia, to figure out which recipes I've learned and still need to work for.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »

I've only ever taken notes when I needed to remember something for a puzzle.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 04:15:58 PM »

I'll take notes for puzzles as well, especially ones like "press the buttons in a certain order - but wait, there are 20 buttons!".  Wild ARMs 3 is an excellent example of a game where taking notes is important.

I also takes notes in something like Morrowind and vanilla Oblivion where controlling your skill growth is important for efficient stat growth. I'll keep a tally of skills on a separate piece of paper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: