Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 09:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341100 Posts in 13941 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Do you take notes on games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Do you take notes on games?  (Read 3129 times)
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2010, 01:58:40 PM »

I usually only write down a code or some combination of sorts in some games when you know you might need it later in the game. I think I only done this in some survival horror games and that's it.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »

You guys should play the old CRPGs from the early 90s. People used to map out everything in a dungeon. In fact, I think some of the games came with fucking GRAPHING PAPER. haha.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 06:45:38 PM »

Only game I took notes on extensively was Star Control II.

First time I played it I had the starmap. Years later I played it again a couple times but w/o the map. Made notes on where the important planets and useful quasispace portals were, also where systems that had high amounts of minerals.

Loved that damn game.
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »

You guys should play the old CRPGs from the early 90s. People used to map out everything in a dungeon. In fact, I think some of the games came with fucking GRAPHING PAPER. haha.

What are the names of some of these? Are there any that are abandonware I can track down? Sounds interesting!!!

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 02:44:54 AM »

The only game I can remember on the top of my head I used something more then the controller is Carmen San Diego and that is because the manual was huge and giving lots of tips.

Have anyone seen the "Angry Video Game Nerd" ? There's an episode he talks exactly about his. He's playing Dick Tracy on the NES and goes about how boring it is to make notes.
If you've not seen it, you should, it's awesome.

But to be on the side that never say never, I'd use a note system if it were already in the game, like in Professor Layton games or the Zelda games for the DS.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure I took notes while playing shadowgate on my gameboy color in study hall
Archendrus

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 12:08:18 AM »

What are the names of some of these? Are there any that are abandonware I can track down? Sounds interesting!!!

I thought it was pretty interesting too, so I found a bunch a few months ago:

Wizardry series: I think 1-7 are abandonware, but beware, the first 5 are old school to the max and insanely difficult, 6-8 had an automapper.

Dungeon Master 1 + 2:  Pretty cool old school games, HUGE dungeons, cool puzzles, but sort of hard to map out so I wouldn't really recommend starting your graph paper career here lol. Both are abandonware.

Eye of The Beholder series: Based on D&D pretty decent games, really similar to Dungeon Master but with slightly smaller maps, all of them are abandonware and there's SNES ports

Bard's Tale series:  I haven't tried these out yet, but always see them listed in the top old school CRPG lists, all are abandonware

Shining in the Darkness: Genesis RPG, part of the Shining Force series.

Phantasy Star 1:  Sega Master System, this one was really really good for a game as old as it is, I just finished it not too long ago =D

All the PC abandonware games you'll need DOSBox to play....and a huge stack of graph paper XD

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: