Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:08:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334714 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFT Play report
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: FFT Play report  (Read 5212 times)
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »

I'm going to nerd out and start a thread where I talk about my experiences playing FFT on PSP. This is like an "Actual Play" report you see on tabletop gaming boards--it might be boring to read but hey.  I'll only post now and then; I'm in grad school right now and so don't have a whole lot of time for gaming, but I game at night to wind down.

Sept. 27.
I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics again recently. I've dabbled in this game several times only to put it down: once, back in the days of the PS; again when it was reissued, on my PS2, and yet again on PSP. I picked it back up when a sudden craving for gaming hit me again, and to my surprise I easily won the battle I had previously been stuck on. However, I decided to re-start because I couldn’t really remember all the ins and outs of the plot and mechanics or what sort of character builds I was working towards; I also got stuck on a battle in Chapter 2 and after trying various strategies and still losing about 5 or 6 times, I figured my characters were all cocked up.
        So, I started over. One of the things about RPGs, I guess, sometimes, is that you have to plan a course of development which is hard to do unless you know what is coming or what jobs will be unlocked and when.
   In my new game I bought some troops and have settled on this: I made Ramza a knight as soon as I could; he is a level 6 Knight now. Another warrior, AIAS, is a squire. I'm keeping him around so that everyone can learn some squire points for "JP Boost."
   I think of AIAS as Ramza's 'squire' and he's pretty strong right now, my main offensive fighter in fact. The plan with the two of them is to have Ramza go Monk after he hits level 8 in Knight, then Samurai. AIAS will work on Archer, enough to pick up Archer's Bane, then Theif and perhaps Ninja.
   I have two high-faith Chemists: as soon as they've both learned Throw Items and a few other key skills, they will become magic-users. One Black Mage, the other White Mage. This way they can both hang back and attack and heal. The Black Mage will go on to learn Arithmetiks and the White Mage is there to learn defensive spells and Holy. I'm thinking I'm going to leave Orator and Mystic alone.
   I've got another squire, Cassandra, but I'm not sure what to do with her. She doesn't see action in the story battles, only in the random encounters. I should probably have her focus on Archer for ranged attacks.
   Right now in the story, I just fought Milleuda for the first time; the battle took two tries. In the first fight, both of the white mages had black magic and I lost Delita (who rushed right up) almost right away, and AIAS was out pretty fast, too; then the thieves repeatedly charmed my Chemists (both female).
   The second time around only one of the white mages had black magic, and it was much easier. Delita died pretty quickly again, but he lasted a little longer. After taking out the first thief he charged into the citadel and attacked the other white mage, but he died anyway. I usually let him lie there dead because he does this every time, and if I phoenix down him then he'll get dropped immediately since he's surrounded by enemies.
   But at any rate, the second go round was pretty easy. I think I just made a few tactical mistakes the first time, but also the AI played differently and didn't aggressively steal my chemists' hearts (they tried, but less often and failed). I think the training and job configuration (Knight/Squire/Chemist/Chemist/Argath/Delita) worked out well.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:18:21 PM »

you still have Argath?
didn't he leave in chapter 1?
or is that still chapter 1?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »

I'm still in Chapter 1, yeah. He left right after this battle actually.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »

Let me guess. The battle you were stuck on in Chapter 2 was at an execution site of some sort.

Don't worry about your guests. They're both non-perishable and barely grow at all, so if they fall, ignore them (unless the mission requires that you keep them alive).

One thing I will mention is that there will be people who will spoil the beans on everything that you have yet to reach as there are a lot of people who've played this game inside and out. If you don't want to get spoilered then you probably don't want to look at this thread for long.

Speaking of ruining the surprise. Priests are rather pathetic in this game given that all magic is tied to both the faiths of the caster and the receiver as well as their Zodiac compatibility. So don't be too surprised if your cure spells only heal 20 HP instead of 60.

Orators and Mystics are situational but are very useful for manipulating brave and faith.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:15:34 PM »

Train at least one Monk.

They are badass.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 12:31:13 AM »

The most important suggestions I can offer to this game are.....
Ramza=Monk. Max it out, cap it, and always have it ready in a dire situation. After Chapter 2, max out squire, and set him with martial arts as a support ability, Hamedo on reaction for story fights, hp restore or counter on reaction for non story (or jp up for leveling classes), monk skills for secondary abilities, and move +1/2/3 whichever is available as movement ability. I don't ever recommend teleport, it fails a lot. Basically, max monk, go back to squire, max that, and then if you want to be godly, work up dark knight. As far as power and damage goes, it can't be touched by anyone except Orlandu at the end of the game. You can level whatever classes you like, but as far as never ever worrying, monk is the way to go.

Mages are very situational honestly. Some people like them, and if you spend ridiculous amounts of time working them up, they're amazing. In my experience, unless you get a time mage with quick and the support ability that shortens Charge Time, and you basically live off black mage for casting since they've got the best magic attack, you could just be a melee character and destroy the opposing team before they get a round off. Now before I get smashed for bashing magic, people can do what they like, it's not that I say my way is the only way. I'm just saying that in my experience, both online and through the whole story on several occasions, melee is simply more efficient.

Samurai are overrated. That's it. The amount of work invested in getting them, and the amount of time spent leveling the class up, they're not good at what they're should be, which is killing stuff fast. That being said, they're EXCELLENT secondary abilities for people who just don't need to kill stuff any faster (special characters, Ramza if you main monk, Lancers in general). Curing, buffing, the almight haste AoE that doesn't miss, these moves make your white mage and time mage obsolete for buffs, plus they can't hit your opponent. That and blade grasp are useful (game breakingly at times), but as a main, completely not worth devoting time to. Get blade grasp, go for the good abilities, and don't waste time here if you don't need to. I know this seems like a rant, but many people fight me on it, and I never seem to get it across that if you wanna just advance the story, wasting time getting samurai is just that, wasting time.

Ok, my last suggestion/opinion here is about ninja. The complete OPPOSITE to samurai, these guys are woth getting. Between ridiculous speed, ridiculous movement, and RIDICULOUS DUAL WIELD EPICNESS, ninja wins everything.Combine a ninja with martial arts and attack boosting gear (bracer, power sleeve, headband, etc), and you have one shot machine that can hit harder, faster, and stronger than everything you'll fight in the main story. For a super douchebag maneuver, add on squire secondary abilities, and spam accumulate for 3 -5 rounds. On any weapon wielding class, accumulate doesn't add much to your attack power, but on monk (or more specifically, bare handed attack power with martial arts), your attack power goes up super fast per accumulate.

All in all, melee classes will get things done fast, with minimal casualties. Always remember that getting your brave up is your best option for anyone frontline, and that faith is actually better off lower if you don't use much magic in your team (not too low or people will possibly ditch you). If you're dead set on working samurai up later, invest in the thief ability Catch, and look for battlefields with ninja. At high levels, they'll throw weapons you can't normally find, including chirijraden and masamune, the last two weapons for samurai.

P.S. in case anyone didn't realize it, I'm a huge fan of FFT.

TASTY!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 01:27:37 AM »

^i'm surprised you mentioned samurai instead of dark knights
I'm at start of chapter 4 but gave up a while ago because it gave me an assload of mission things to do even though I tried not to procrastinate with those
you should also try to get Luso ASAP because he is almost exactly like Ramza but he can poach enemies.
idunno about Balthier though
you should also try to track down this this game since it's nearly identical in style and gameplay

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 07:50:30 AM »

All this talk about how broken monks are prompts a question I should have asked a while ago about FFT for the PSP:  was there any rebalancing?  Because as much as I love my FFTactics to death, I can't say the game was very balanced at all.

Oh, and, yes, I have to agree that samurai suck donkey testicles.  Everyone seems to love them, but I really can't be bothered.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 07:54:15 AM »

No rebalancing.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »

^i'm surprised you mentioned samurai instead of dark knights
Because dark knight is a ridiculous waste of time getting, but a superior class for overall use in general.

TASTY!
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »

Sept. 28.

Well, I switched Bathusa to a Black Mage and Helen to a White Mage and fought Wiegraf at the mill. The battle was actually pretty easy--Ramza is level 10 now and armed to the teeth; AIAS is level 9 and pretty badass for a Squire. Bathusa, equipped with a Thunder Rod, did amazing amounts of damage--her Faith is 74! Helen worked effectively as a healer also.
   Delita--as is usual--was KO'ed very early in the battle and I let him lay there while I cleared out the enemies with Thunder. I'm starting to think that it's often a good idea to spread out my attacks so that the enemies will simply retreat, giving me time to heal back up, and also to prolong the battle a little bit in order to have more opportunities for getting EXP and JP--especially if the enemies heal themselves. If I stood there and fought the enemies on the front line, then Delita would just lay there the whole fight and never gain anything--although I know he's going to leave my party before too long so I don't care actually.
   If I remember correctly, the next battle is against Argath and possibly the end of Chapter 1. I'm 8 hours in--I'm not sure if that's long or not. It seems like I spend a lot of time messing around in the menus or leaving the game running while I do something else.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »

Because as much as I love my FFTactics to death, I can't say the game was very balanced at all.

what are you talking about man those calculators and oracles were perfectly balanced
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »

Let me guess. The battle you were stuck on in Chapter 2 was at an execution site of some sort.

YEP! I fought that battle over and over and just couldn't cut it. I even looked at a FAQ for tactical tips and still couldn't do it. I simply couldn't do enough damage to the enemy and I'm pretty sure that at that point I couldn't go back to level up at all because a lot of the map is closed.

Quote from: insertnamehere
you should also try to track down this this game since it's nearly identical in style and gameplay

I played that game about 2.5 years ago, I think it was. I thought it was solid.

As for monk, I totally am thinking along these lines. I'm goofy and like to level/equip characters in line with the story. I figure in chapter 1 Ramza is a knight, but then he's walked away from his noble roots and is on a 'spiritual' path for self-knowledge and becomes a monk. I know, I'm weird and like to add to the story in my head.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »

I played that game about 2.5 years ago, I think it was. I thought it was solid.

As for monk, I totally am thinking along these lines. I'm goofy and like to level/equip characters in line with the story. I figure in chapter 1 Ramza is a knight, but then he's walked away from his noble roots and is on a 'spiritual' path for self-knowledge and becomes a monk. I know, I'm weird and like to add to the story in my head.

Pft, it's an RPG dude, knock yourself out. I had a fricken story to Yu-Gi-Oh games.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 01:41:38 AM »

YEP! I fought that battle over and over and just couldn't cut it. I even looked at a FAQ for tactical tips and still couldn't do it. I simply couldn't do enough damage to the enemy and I'm pretty sure that at that point I couldn't go back to level up at all because a lot of the map is closed.

There's one spot you can grind in if you needed it but it's a pretty terrible map to grind on given the map's layout. The best solution to that particular fight is to break/steal weapons or aim for the arm.

The engineer is a pretty damn awesome job given it's utility and range.

It should be noted that FAQs for this game are typically pretty damn terrible given that they either expect you to sperg out on getting all the gamebreaking abilities as soon as possible, or tell you to sit in a corner and abuse repeatable moves to grind Exp and JP (or in one particular case temporary AT and Speed) in the most tedious way possible.

As for what you should do with Ramza, it doesn't really matter that much. As long as he has fairly good damage output and a reliable means to heal himself for a goodly chunk of HP per heal he should be fine. You could keep him in his basic job even, given the fact that his basic job is a unique and actually pretty damn good in stat gains and abilities (later on). Honestly Knights aren't really all that good in the long run given how much of a one-trick pony they are.

Also remember that whenever an ally performs an action, all of your fielded characters gain a percentage of that JP as well. So don't be afraid to spread your jobs out between your characters. You may really need that extra JP someday.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: