Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 02:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331972 Posts in 13597 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Degredation of RPG Magic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Degredation of RPG Magic  (Read 3921 times)
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2006, 10:29:22 PM »

Hmm you know i have to agree with you about this you know just once i'd like to see status ailement spells works on bosses for once.

I have seen this happen--I got Stopspell to work on the Dragonlord, and I believe I managed to put a boss in FF9 to sleep (yes, FF9).

Anyway, another forum I was at pointed out another flaw with today's magic systems:  To wit, often in magic, even the direct damage spells are usually not as good as simply hitting the enemy, so basically Magic is relegated to curing... which also doesn't do much good because there's already items that handle that.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2006, 10:33:25 PM »

I don't get that - it's something I blow points on, unlike normal attacks. It should have at least /some/ extra punch to it, or pull a MegaTen and make it worthwhile to exploit weaknesses. I've only found magic useful in XG in the final dungeon, and the enemies had blatant weaknesses there.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 04:51:48 PM »

um... status magic worked very well in finally fantasy X it was even ecouraged.i remember a boss in the game i was having trouble wiith because i assumed something poison wouldnt work when it turned out casting bio was key to beating that boss.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: