Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 12:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327627 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New "The Last Story" images and details. Jan 27 release in JPN!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: New "The Last Story" images and details. Jan 27 release in JPN!  (Read 3344 times)
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »

typical JRPG teenaged dick-weed who goes in head-first and seems to wield a blade better than anyone else on the planet.

Uh...have you actually played the game? Shulk is likely the most intelligent character in the party in Xenoblade. He has his moments of charging towards the enemies yelling and swinging his sword, but unless he's in mortal peril he tends to be quite quiet and thoughtful, and generally has things sussed out way better than some other members of your party. If there's explaining to be done in Xenoblade, you can bet Shulk will be doing it. Plus it probably isn't that hard to be handy in combat if you know what your enemies are going to do before they actually do it. The game doesn't really hesitate to paint Dunban as the more skilled of the two. Shulk is just your average science geek who happens to be able to see the future.

Not that Xenoblade doesn't have its share of anime archetypes. It totally does. I'm just not convinced Shulk is the kind of hero you're painting him as. He's not a typical fiery-tempered, bratty shounen manga hero. Not that I thought he was an especially brilliant character either, but he's a little bit more interesting than Generic JRPG Hero #597. And a lot more interesting than the muscle man you mentioned, who really is little more than a walking cliche.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »

Wow, um... I don't think I've ever really had the issues you guys are having with JRPGs. :S

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »

typical JRPG teenaged dick-weed who goes in head-first and seems to wield a blade better than anyone else on the planet.

Uh...have you actually played the game? Shulk is likely the most intelligent character in the party in Xenoblade. He has his moments of charging towards the enemies yelling and swinging his sword, but unless he's in mortal peril he tends to be quite quiet and thoughtful, and generally has things sussed out way better than some other members of your party. If there's explaining to be done in Xenoblade, you can bet Shulk will be doing it. Plus it probably isn't that hard to be handy in combat if you know what your enemies are going to do before they actually do it. The game doesn't really hesitate to paint Dunban as the more skilled of the two. Shulk is just your average science geek who happens to be able to see the future.

Not that Xenoblade doesn't have its share of anime archetypes. It totally does. I'm just not convinced Shulk is the kind of hero you're painting him as. He's not a typical fiery-tempered, bratty shounen manga hero. Not that I thought he was an especially brilliant character either, but he's a little bit more interesting than Generic JRPG Hero #597. And a lot more interesting than the muscle man you mentioned, who really is little more than a walking cliche.

My Japanese is still pretty shitty, so I missed the depth of the characters.  I still hate how heroes are still relatively perceived the same way.  Too many JRPG characters seem to stick to what they know and rarely develop or display some other emotion other than what you see in the first couple of hours.  The game was still a great experience (the character models left a bit to be desired, but the rest was amazing...for wii especially)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »

Shulk is an interesting lead, but not interesting enough. I found him to be a bit flat.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 01:10:09 AM »

Shulk is a really, REALLY stupid name too. I mean, Shulk? Really? What do they call him, Sharuku? Like Shark? ugh
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 01:40:48 AM »

Wow, um... I don't think I've ever really had the issues you guys are having with JRPGs. :S

That's because you are still not tired of playing the same game over and over again.

Shulk is a really, REALLY stupid name too. I mean, Shulk? Really? What do they call him, Sharuku? Like Shark? ugh

Shark? Yeah, that series was good.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 01:41:59 AM »

That's because you are still not tired of playing the same game over and over again.
Yeah I guess not. :D

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 02:53:03 PM »

I was just looking at the images the Fan posted up for this game, and thinking, "Man, this looks really good for a Wii game."
It would be nice if we at least got one of the two.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
VelonicaBASE77

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 03:56:07 AM »

hey everyone, apparently there's going to be some sort of pre-order bonus (not sure if its exclusive to japan game stores or not) but I've purchased one from this seller on eBay, if you guys are interested, there's 2 left up for grabs and I think its at a reasonable price, considering it'll come with an OST and a Visual book. I'll leave the link here you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Nintendo-Wii-Last-Story-w-bonus-CD-JAPAN-game-/130474722180?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e60e64384#ht_1480wt_1139

Dont mean to be spamming or anything, if any of you feel that I am doing that then please feel free to remove my comment and I will do so.
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »

It seems like it's unlikely that this game will come out in the West.. :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-13-the-last-story-not-heading-west

It's such a shame.. This looked great and like it would be a return to the style of older Final Fantasies that I loved...
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »

Damn it Nintendo ......./facepalm.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »

Sensationalist journalism does it again.  Nintendo didn't say it wasn't coming out here, they said they had no comment.  That doesn't mean anything.

In fact, I recently heard that at a recent event, Iwata stated that he wanted to try to get Soma Bringer and 7th Dragon out in the West finally.  If that's true, then The Last Story would easily follow suit.  People need to stop jumping all over non-informative comments like they mean everything int he world.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »

Sensationalist journalism does it again.

Indeed, seems Eurogamer has a history of that!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: