Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 07:17:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334677 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  MGS:Snake Eater 3D
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MGS:Snake Eater 3D  (Read 1252 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »

This trailer is amazing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/30/metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3ds-trailer/

"Oh, a hunter..."
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »

We already played this, I don't know what the big deal is. Peace walker was something to be excited about if you're a fan of the franchise, even if I get a 3DS I won't be buying this again just because of 3D.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »

We already played this, I don't know what the big deal is. Peace walker was something to be excited about if you're a fan of the franchise, even if I get a 3DS I won't be buying this again just because of 3D.

"We" does not include everyone. I've never played Snake Eater and this version with the 3D effects look really good.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »

This is the only port that is going to be interesting. Not to mention that MGS3 is great a game on the PS2, I'll wait for more info before puting this in the "I want" list.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

The trailer looked really different from the MG3 that I played. the crawling looked a lot less encombered and the environments just looked a whole lot more alive. My main gripe with MGS3: Subsistance (what I played) was that the context-sensitive controls were just maddening. If they can make the controls more intuitive with this release, it might be worth the repurchase alone. And from what I'm seeing with the visuals being a lot cleaner, this could make for a pretty great title.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »

I want it.

Reading the comments, I had actually forgotten that Metroid Prime: Hunters controlled really well with the stylus serving as a right analog stick.  I never wanted my DS for FPS games, so I totally forgot about how well it actually worked.

People do not need to fear the lack of a right analog stick.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »

Very true! Actually, it could turn out that one analog + stylus could become one of the best control methods for gaming. Too bad Hunters was a terrible GAME, but you're right, its control was great. However, the double-tap to jump was a bit annoying. Maybe this would be better for duck and cover type FPS/TPSs like Mass Effect 2/Gears of War.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »

Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater May Feature Street Pass.

Kojima said "MGS3's story can't change, so we're thinking of Co-ops, 3D and portable-like elements." StreetPass functionality would certainly qualify as "portable-like elements," and is one of the main services Nintendo was pushing at the press conference.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »

The optimist in me says that Kojima already made MGS3 what it is, so he doesn't need to be present to re-raise any bars.

What is StreetPass?

When played over long periods, Kojima feels that players' eyes may get tired if the game has stuff popping out of the screen. So, he expects there to be an importance placed on into-the-screen depth.

Can your eyes get more tired than when taking a walk outside?  I don't think this is an issue, but a paranoia. 

I've seen magic eye images before, and once you lock into the "sweet spot" you're not refocusing for depth, ever.  Making a game system where you have to refocus for depth on the fly is impractical, because it takes a moment to acquire your target, to lock on.

What I'm saying is that watching your TV or computer screen from that distance gives you a perceived image equal to the distance of your TV/screen.  The 3DS will give you a perceived image that is closer and farther, but your eyes are still doing what they'd normally do.

I'm speculating wildly, to be sure.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:44:54 PM by Fei » Logged

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »

Doesn't quite work that way.

In a movie that is pre-determined, you can control where in the vision field the audience is supposed to look. So for a 3D movie, a director will place all important action within a central viewing plane. But for a video game, especially one like MGS, you're looking everywhere, up and down the room/area, you're looking left/right and in/out to check for enemies, items, and whatnot. Maybe Solid Snake is always at the central viewing plane, but you're not supposed to be looking at Snake the entire time, in fact, you shouldn't be... you should know what he's doing (being a giant badass), it's everything else that you need to gather visual data on. I think MGS is going to be a very difficult series to bring into 3D, but one with enormous potential. Since the gameworld is completely 3D, and at a wide over-the-shoulder angle, there is a lot of depth to be seen. The 3D effect will be enourmous. But unfortunately, that strength is also a weakness, because it may tire gamers' eyes quickly. Thankfully, I doubt that the target demographic for MGS is age 50+, so at least they will have youthful eyes watching the screen.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:31:45 AM »

So if those 'magic eye' things don't work on me, does that mean I won't be able to use the 3d function on the 3ds?  I remember reading somewhere that a limited number of people won't get the 3d effect from the 3ds.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 09:10:49 AM »

It's a little more like the holographic covers on DVD cases isn't it? I think that's what I've heard it compared to the most.

I don't think the magic eye thing will necessarily change anything. You don't have to concentrate on the image in order to see the effect. I guess you'll just have to find out at a demo station or something.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »

No, the Magic Eye thing has no relevance. In that case, you must consciously train your eyes to refocus from a flat surface with no stereo-optic redirection. I couldn't do those either (I could do them in reverse though). I think the "holographic DVD case" comment is closer, because the 3DS works along the same principal. But any 3D movie technology has a similar effect, to greater or lesser cleanliness. If there's stereo-optic redirection, then your eyes SHOULD see a 3D plane, as if you were looking out into 3D space. My guess is that the people who couldn't see the 3D effect of the 3DS don't have any depth perception in real life either.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 08:38:17 PM »

http://kombo.com/features/How_the_3DS_Works/ excellent intro song by Gogol Bordello, but anyway, this video explains it.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

http://kombo.com/features/How_the_3DS_Works/ excellent intro song by Gogol Bordello, but anyway, this video explains it.

*claps* Great video. :O
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: