Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 12:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327233 Posts in 13399 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tactics Ogre
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Tactics Ogre  (Read 19109 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »

Okay, enough about Gamestop and more Tactics Ogre!

I played the first couple battles just now and I've got to say it's awesome. Battles run very smoothly and much faster than on the PSX version. I was a bit overwhelmed with some of the changes they've made to how classes and experience work. I have to get used to the new skill system as well. Experience isn't given individually anymore, which is awesome. Units level up by class. So, if I recruit a new warrior and all my warriors are level 4, that warrior will bump up to level 4. No more wasting hours in training mode leveling everyone up one by one. Another plus is being able to view past story events again through the Warren Report.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »

I played the first couple battles just now and I've got to say it's awesome. Battles run very smoothly and much faster than on the PSX version. I was a bit overwhelmed with some of the changes they've made to how classes and experience work. I have to get used to the new skill system as well. Experience isn't given individually anymore, which is awesome. Units level up by class. So, if I recruit a new warrior and all my warriors are level 4, that warrior will bump up to level 4. No more wasting hours in training mode leveling everyone up one by one. Another plus is being able to view past story events again through the Warren Report.

Sounds good, though what's different about the skill system?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »

Sounds good, though what's different about the skill system?

It's been completely overhauled for one thing. I'm not sure about the specific details yet because I've only played the first few battles then shut it off. I know that characters can equip passive skills now. For example, Lans had a passive skill equipped that made it so if someone stepped next to him on any side, they wouldn't be able to move from that spot until their next turn.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:20 PM »

Been playing since launch, almost at the end of chapter 2 now. Honestly, some of the stuff I liked in the original is missing (training, orbs [so far], and the funny little "Fight it out" that popped up for battles), but the remake more than makes up for it. The skill sets are interesting for custom set ups (course, I grind so everyone will have everything), and the new class change system is very easy to deal with, compared to the old one where you had to meet certain requirements for certain classes which bordered ridiculous. The music....WOW it's impressive. It's the old songs properly orchestrated now, so they sound more real and definitely fit the tune of this dark title. My only gripe is for its dark theme (which is also my gripe from 10+ years ago playing it), the sprites don't fit the scenario. Feels kiddy unless you really sit back and imagine it in its dark, political charged glory.If you have a psp and play rpgs, the only thing stopping you from playing this game is about a 15-30 minute drive to your local video game store to pick it up.

TASTY!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »

Still waiting on it to arrive. I need to stop being cheap and buy prime already x_x
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »

the only thing stopping you from playing this game is about a 15-30 minute drive to your local video game store to pick it up.

Unless the Gamestop you ordered it from misplaced the game or had you drive a couple of miles to the next Gamestop to get the preorder bonus then it'll take longer.

Also DQVI.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »

Am I missing something in shops, or is there really no way to do equipment comparison?  Kind of a buzzkill.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2011, 10:04:48 PM »

Am I missing something in shops, or is there really no way to do equipment comparison?  Kind of a buzzkill.

Either I'm missing it too or it's not there. You CAN see how many of an item you have though when you go to select how many you want, so usually that'll tell you right there if it's something you already have equipped or not.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »

Agh my god Arceylle or whatever her name is has a death wish.

I'm trying to save her (I picked the chaos route) and she runs headlong into enemies. Hell, Denam tells her to head back to his army, but she has such a hatred for him she tells him to screw off, and then goes off on her own. Cue her AI getting her killed in a couple of rounds.

Lobber and fast Canopus helps but NGGGGGH.

Hey! Her name was Aloser in the PSX version. I am starting to think this is a meaningful name!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »

I don't think there's a direct comparison, but you can tell by going through inventory how it will affect your stats before you actually equip it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2011, 12:12:46 PM »

I don't think there's a direct comparison, but you can tell by going through inventory how it will affect your stats before you actually equip it.

Yeah, still sucks that you can't look at an item on a character while in a shop.  Makes shopping 10000% easier.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »

Yeah, still sucks that you can't look at an item on a character while in a shop.  Makes shopping 10000% easier.

It's also strange that, for all the ways the game improves over the original and takes after later SRPGs, it forgets one of the most basic features, one I definitely recall FFT using.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »

It's also strange that, for all the ways the game improves over the original and takes after later SRPGs, it forgets one of the most basic features, one I definitely recall FFT using.

You're right. I do remember FFT using this in shops. I guess when you're wrapped up in a project like this, adding completely new elements to an existing game, it's easy to overlook simple features like this.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2011, 03:49:59 PM »

There wasn't a hell of a lot of gear to begin with and an upgrade could be spotted a mile away.

Btw, FFT employed a dressing room where you could equip a piece of gear and see how much it changed. Buying straight just gave you the item's base stats. And neither method told you the formula used to actually calculate damage (I bet you didn't know that sticks in FFT used Magic Power as part of the damage formula rather than Physical Power).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »

There wasn't a hell of a lot of gear to begin with and an upgrade could be spotted a mile away.

Btw, FFT employed a dressing room where you could equip a piece of gear and see how much it changed. Buying straight just gave you the item's base stats. And neither method told you the formula used to actually calculate damage (I bet you didn't know that sticks in FFT used Magic Power as part of the damage formula rather than Physical Power).

Sticks as in the sticks Mystics/Oracles used? Huh, I DIDN'T know that.

BTW, finally save Alo---er that archer chick. After another 3 tries. Unfortunately she's a great unit and I'll have to use her even though her personality grates.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: