Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:12:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337990 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tactics Ogre
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Tactics Ogre  (Read 20284 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:29 AM »

How's the soundtrack to this title? I just saw it for $16 on itunes and may get it but wanted to know some thoughts? The itune samples seemed pretty good but I couldn't listen to it very loud to make a clear decision.
Desert Walker

dimitri_rozokov@hotmail.com bladegolem
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:48 PM »

After seeing how much everyone here (and at a few other spots) is loving Tactics Ogre I decided to bite the bullet and buy a used PSP.  I'll post some thoughts when I get TO in and play it.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

I've listened to this soundtrack even more over the last few days and I must say it sounds very impressive.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »

I've listened to this soundtrack even more over the last few days and I must say it sounds very impressive.

Yes, I'm so glad to own the physical soundtrack :)

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »

Where can you purchase this soundtrack? I'm looking for a reputable place to buy authentic Japanese video game soundtracks. I saw Tactics Ogre on Itunes for $16 but itunes doesn't have many other than Final Fantasy titles.
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2011, 03:56:53 PM »

FYI, for those considering picking up Tactics Ogre:  My copy of the game from Amazon that I ordered roughly a week ago shipped with the LE card set.  It's not a guarantee that other copies will have the pack too, but I think it's worth noting.
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »

FYI, for those considering picking up Tactics Ogre:  My copy of the game from Amazon that I ordered roughly a week ago shipped with the LE card set.  It's not a guarantee that other copies will have the pack too, but I think it's worth noting.

That's awesome. Wish there was some way to know before spending $40.
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »

I'm about five battles in and there seems to be a sudden increase in difficulty, in particular when dealing with undead or beasts.  Do I need to focus more on magic attacks in battles with these enemies?  Perhaps my troops are under-leveled (they range from lv. 4-6 with some exceptions); I've kept current on weapons and armors but there's still some difficulty in getting reasonable damage with most units.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:34:41 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »

I see you mention undead.  Are you trying that Nybeth battle?

Wait a bit, that one's optional.  You can still fight it after a few more battles, so don't push for that one immediately.  That one's one of the harder battles earlier.

A general rule of thumb for those Necromancer battles: The best defense is a good offense.  While eventually Nybeth will run out of enemies to summon, it's not worth waiting.  Especially later on, when the enemies start summoning 4-5 at a time and can keep summoning continually. Just go for the leader, ignore everything else.

As for beasts, I assume you mean dragons and the like?  Elaborate, please?  Early on, until you get a Dragoon, "Beasts" (Octopi, the griffon-like enemies) and Dragons will be extremely difficult to kill.  Stick with Archers and Mages on them.  Or, better yet, stick with Archers in general.  Canopus is a broken beast of a character and is in the top 5 "best" characters in the game.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:49:03 PM by Cyril » Logged
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »

Thank you for the tips.  Yes, the Nybeth battle was one of the battles I was speaking of.  I, erm...didn't notice the branching paths until afterward.  That said, given the way those skeleton archers were decimating my forces, I quickly figured out that the best way through that battle was to send Canopus  and Denam in to assassinate him.  I didn't have much luck using archers against the undead, though; they hit the skeletons for about 2 damage per shot.  My mage needed some leveling and was pretty much useless as a result of this.  

I apologize, but I am unable to name the beasts I fought.  I have a terrible habit of not paying much attention to the names of enemy units, and I met those in a random battle.  They had extremely high defense; end result was that I won the battle but only Denim and Canopus came out alive.  I found this result unsatisfying for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:49:15 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »

Hmm, let me give you a few more early-game tips in general.

There is a ranged item you can buy from the item shop.  It's called a Lobber.  This item allows you to throw items.  Equip this item to your Priest(s).  This lets you toss healing items.  I actually kept it on my Beastmaster as I leveled him at first before I had a "duh" moment and put it on my Priest.

Knights get a skill called Phalanx early on.  Make sure Denam gets it at some point in time. It doesn't necessarily need to be now.  Just remember that it exists and you'll see why it's great.

This may not be relevant now, but trust me, start from Chapter 1: Plan your classes.  Weapon skill levels and Augument Spell levels take forever to level up.  As mentioned a few pages back, I was at 100 hours and my generic from the very beginning only had two Augment spell levels at level 3 . For Mages, stick with 1-2 elements.  Dark is amazingly useful and you must have that at all times.  Status effects are wonderful.  I'd recommend Fire and possibly Earth as well.

Uniques are almost always better than generics, unfortunately.  They not only have lower WT, but generally have higher base stats.  Note that some generics you get in Chapter 1 are actually unique!  One of them is that Archer Sara, the other is the character who joins with her.

If you plan on keeping a generic, keep a generic mage.. Make sure the mage female, too. I say this because the "final" mage class (it's even stronger than Necromancer!) looks horrible as a male, but in contrast is very nice as a female.

I'm actually in a huge TO mood, so ask any questions you need clarification on.  It prevents me from gushing over a certain spoiler character's personality who is absolutely wonderful.  She's absolutely the best female character I've seen in years.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:37:17 PM by Cyril » Logged
Desert Walker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2011, 10:40:42 PM »

Again, thanks for the tips.  The tip on the lobber was particularly useful, as was the information on planning the classes.  I'll also offer my own tip for people starting the game:  Make sure every party member that you use frequently has Field Alchemy I as an attribute as early as possible.  You will suffer for it at some point if you don't take this precaution.

I've ran through a few more battles and I'm currently working on the beginning of chapter two.  Fortunately, I am not feeling so overwhelmed any more.  It took some time but I got a handle on all of the menu systems and I've been through some challenging battles since then, but none that were disastrous.  (Though there was one battle where I forgot to buy some poison cures that came pretty close to being disastrous...)  That said, this game clearly has a lot more to it than I understand at this point, and I will be buying the strategy guide, which is pretty rare. (The last strategy guide I bought was for Morrowind.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:45:12 PM by Desert Walker » Logged
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »

Where can you purchase this soundtrack? I'm looking for a reputable place to buy authentic Japanese video game soundtracks. I saw Tactics Ogre on Itunes for $16 but itunes doesn't have many other than Final Fantasy titles.

http://www.otaku.be/products/30384

Thats about as what you will see around the internet for this.  Plus, the shipping is $9.  You would have it in less than a week.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2011, 07:28:39 PM »

http://www.otaku.be/products/30384

Thats about as what you will see around the internet for this.  Plus, the shipping is $9.  You would have it in less than a week.

Wow. So, about $55 shipped. Well, I guess it's not too bad. I've picked up a couple RPG soundtracks over the years...literally only a couple. Thing is, we play a lot of RPGs...how do we afford nearly $50 for every soundtrack? I wouldn't want all the game soundtracks to the games I play but I would want some (like Suikoden V, Chrono Cross, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Ys). That would be in the hundreds of dollars. Very expensive hobby.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

Usually if a soundtrack is 1 disc, they are usually $20-25. I own 110 soundtracks. With all of the shipping, i've spent easily over $2,000 on video game soundtracks. I refuse to buy digital music (Which is much cheaper) unless the physical album is out of print or extremely rare to find. It is a VERY expensive hobby, lol.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: