Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 02:32:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Site
| | |-+  Suggestion ... or is it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suggestion ... or is it?  (Read 5908 times)
Auron

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2010, 09:31:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure this feature isn't available on the site, but if it is .. oops!

Just a quick suggestion that every column in the review/preview pages (especially score/date) should be sortable. If I want to quickly view a list of the top Dreamcast games by score % for example, I can't do that right now.

Thanks
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 04:29:34 AM »

that sounds like a nifty idea.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »

As of today, all of our reviews index pages are static.  It's something on our list of 'future things that would be really cool.'

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Auron

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:08:05 PM »

Heres another suggestion:

Some kind of metric or way to give the reader a sense of how long the game is. Is it a 20hr? A 60+ hour game? The issues with that are:

- Is it just finishing the main story line or going all out completist?
- A gamer can complete a game in 20 hours, but another gamer likes to takes his time and completes it in 50 hours.

But if you just generalize it and give people a sense of how much time they need to devote in the game, that would be a pretty useful tool for people.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »

Honestly, that is difficult though.

When I read reviews from others I tend to be the game in a significantly shorter time than it took them. But then if I get obsessed with something and go off doing every side quest, it's hard to estimate how long it would take to just beat the game. You can do it, but it won't be all that accurate.

That's why I, at least, tend to just mention it somewhere within the body of my review.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:28:26 PM »

Yeah, that would be near impossible really. Best you could do is compare it to the average length of another well known RPG

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:59:28 AM »

Ja, I tend to "enjoy" the games I buy, and by that I mean I don't rush or skip stuff.  I'm pretty obsessive-compulsive, as well, so every treasure chest must be found, and most sidequests should be satisfied before I even attempt the final dungeon.  I've never found such stats on other sites helpful at all for this reason.

Plus, most of RPGFan's reviews allude to the length of the game in the text itself.  Good ideas, though, keep 'em comin'!

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »

I've never found time stats helpful for the exact opposite reason - I seem to blow through games in half the time other people do.  I had someone tell me that there was "no way I'd beaten Fallout: New Vegas, even with a slightly early copy" because he was 20 hours in and hadn't even gotten to the Strip.

Sorry, mate, at 15 hours, I had already seen the ending.

Auron

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »

I'm going to reiterate my initial point. It's ridiculous that under reviews, it doesn't sort by the latest ones. Its sorted alphabetically? Comon. If I want to see in a list exactly what has been recently reviewed, I cant.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »

I'm going to reiterate my initial point. It's ridiculous that under reviews, it doesn't sort by the latest ones. Its sorted alphabetically? Comon. If I want to see in a list exactly what has been recently reviewed, I cant.

I hear you, mate.  As I mentioned in my initial post, right now all of our review pages are static HTML - they have no dynamic elements to them.  I would love to make these dynamically driven tables, and it's part of what we want to be a part of our new implementation.

Auron

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 04:49:23 PM »

Hey everyone! Just want to say a big thanks for addressing my suggestion (well.. not MINE per se .. I wasn't the first one to think of it)

Regardless .. thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: