Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:32:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338408 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The question begs to be asked:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The question begs to be asked:  (Read 2993 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »

GO GO GO

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »

Didn't really forget, but I just don't have any use for them. Don't hate them, and you can sometimes just fuck off with them, such as right now. But how many of our topics really need them anyway? I suppose it could e interesting for some games, to see how many got it, but the only game I think that'd be remotely interesting for is VP:L, and that's just to see how many people actually A. have it, or B. are willing to get a PSP just to play it.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:52:19 PM »

So how much DO you get paid, DR???

Eh, polls. You know, I use them at another forum I post at, but here, it's weird--I think nothing of it. I suppose it's because I don't see them being made often enough, so it never occured to me to use one.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:01:15 PM »

I'm too full of woe and melancholy to have something interesting to say anyway, so I don't make topics, so I don't use polls anyway, so there.

Sums it up fairly well for me. I usually don't make topics so it doesn't matter much.

I also don't really care for the whole poll idea because I prefer discussion in topics rather than a vote + one liner post saying, "I voted for _____ because of _____." Kind of defeats a bit of the purpose to having message boards.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:43:05 PM »

. . . you'll ban the next person who makes a poll, won't you.

:P

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 11:59:32 PM »

I like to think RPGfan is beyond the need for polls, where opinions are voiced rather than categorized. =D

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 12:24:19 AM »

I love polls since I'm a voting freak.  I vote for political elections, American Idol, forum polls, etc.   Polls don't mean that a topic can't be discussed in depth.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 12:32:39 AM »

They do for a lot of people though I think, sadly.

And to answer the last question, an RPGFan staff position pays in the realm of $2200 a month. After taxes.

At least, once you've been here as long as some of us. New hires actually get paid in those gold Namco arcade tokens, 5 per article written. And a cupcake if we like you.

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:52:33 AM »

Quote from: "Mike"
And a cupcake if we like you.

I would like a cupcake.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:54:37 AM »

I find polls work well in sports forums, for predictions, favorites, etc etc.

Here? All the polls I've seen sucked.

Including this one. ^_^

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »

Where's MY cupcake?  You must all hate me.  For all the work I do/have done for the site, the least you could do is give me a goddamned cupcake!  Or a cookie would suffice.  I like cookies. (LOL, I'm being a looney.)  

In all seriousness, I'm with Liz on this one.  In the history of RPGfan, there has never been a very good poll... and I've been posting on the site since 1999.  Even yours truly was responsible for some of the most idiotic polls.  

Polls would be littered with topics like "shud i pik [ insert name of game here ] or [ insert name of other game here ]" and of course the snarky among us would put in write-in votes for "carrots."  (Sorry, kind of an inside joke there.  TalkBass tends to have a lot of polls and one of the choices is always carrots).  In addition, polls would have a lot of 1 word responses or just "+1" posts, which we tend to frown upon.  

I say no polls.  I voted "I remembered but polls suck."

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 09:32:17 AM »

Hmm...polls. This is a complicated question that must be answered in several parts. The first part is perhaps the definition of a poll. A poll is defined as "a place where one douche bag can see if a bunch of other douche bags agree with him, so that he can continue to stroke his e-peen". I believe that this particular sentiment is important in determining if polls are a good thing. The second part is the answers of the poll. Do you simply ask a question and leave the common "yes" and "no" responses for those other douche bags to choose from in hopes of avoiding confusion? Or do you try to be witty and leave things like cat faces and homosexual references? The third important part of a poll is whether people think it is meant as a joke, or whether it is real?

It's for these reasons that I say...fuck. That's right folks. Fuck.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 12:01:43 PM »

There is no point for polls when my opinion is always right.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »

For The Win.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 02:06:21 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"

For The Win.

And yet....If your "opinion" is always right, it could no longer be classified as an opinion, but a "fact".
If you truly know(not believe, as that leaves wiggle room also) you are right, leave the word "opinion" out of it.
Like when arguing religion with my co-worker.
I say "There is no god" as opposed to "In my opinion" or " I believe"
No room for argument there.

Forgive the derailment, but your statement made me think of one my favorite T-shirts which says on the front:
I'm not opinionated. I'm just always right.

As for polls, I'll answer them if they pop up, but I would never create one, as I rarely post topics.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: