Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:46:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338774 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  age-old JRPG problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: age-old JRPG problem  (Read 4318 times)
Zool

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:00:46 AM »

I was new to RPG's last year. I played a few (on the DS) but the only one I ever finished was the new DQ.

I have read a few reviews for FF The 4 heros of light, due out this week in the Uk and I am thinking of getting it. But, the reviews all say something like  it suffers from the age-old JRPG problem: massive difficulty spikes.

Can any one explain the age old problem................. does this mean lots of grinding?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »

Nah, in 4 Heroes of Light it mostly means you have to adjust your strategy.

For instance, somewhere in the beginning of the game you have a party of two characters who are most suitable for magelike jobs. Common JRPG sense may dictate you need a melee attacker but you'll make things unnecessarily hard if you stick to that. Going Black Mage and setting things on fire makes that part of the game a lot easier. Which is another age-old wisdom actually. If all else fails, use fire!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 07:52:26 AM by Tomara » Logged
JurassicPrinny

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »

That's fairly good advice, especially if you're new to rpgs.
I haven't played any DQ so I don't know if there's a rock-paper-scissors mechanic in there, but watch the numbers when you're fighting and pay attention to what kind of attack or magic does the most damage. Fight smarter, not harder. You can save a lot of grinding.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 11:55:05 AM by JurassicPrinny » Logged
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:58:25 AM »

One second reviewers complain that JRPGs are mindless grind fests, the next they complain about tactical hurdles that actually make the game unique.  Damn, you just can't win with these people.

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Rindu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:09:48 AM »

Grinding is typically an "easy" way to solve problems in a game--if you are powerful enough then no matter how horrible your strategy, you're sure to win. But this is pretty boring! And it certainly isn't easy if  you are trying to get through the game and have fun with it.

xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »

Grinding is typically an "easy" way to solve problems in a game--if you are powerful enough then no matter how horrible your strategy, you're sure to win.
That doesn't always work in Megami Tensei games though but I'd say for a good 95% of RPGs that's pretty accurate. As far as difficulty spikes I don't see how it's a "problem." As you progress from area to area enemies naturally become stronger so you have to as well. A lot of times you simply just need to adjust your strategy accordingly. If you fight "smart," as Jurassic Prinny pointed out, you should be fine.

OkamiGeisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 12:35:17 PM »

Understanding elemental attacks and defense are really important for a lot of JRPGs, and are a real life part of Japanese beliefs and folklore.  This is where a lot of strategy is going to come from, such as using ice/water attacks on fire enemies and vice versa, and using wind attacks/defense on enemies with earth power.  Balancing leveling up with strategy is the best way to approach the great majority of JRPGs.  It's pretty rare that you need to grind for very long times before you are ready to advance.  YMMV but RPGs are the only genre where I know I'll finish the game.  
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »

Grinding is boring and I'll usually quit playing a game if it looks like I'll need to do it with any sort of frequency because *mandatory* grinding is usually an indication that there's something more deeply wrong with the game's mechanics.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

supersonic
Prefers JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

Please name *one* modern (as in like, post-SNES) JPRG that requires frequent mandatory grinding. I can't think of any.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »

Disgea? If you consider the Item World grinding. I do.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »

Maybe the question should be clarified: require grinding to beat the game. You could avoid most grinding in DQIX for example, if not all, and if you can't you can kill a few of the appropriate metals as they pop up and rocket in levels fast enough that the tedium is barely there at worst (unless you're unlucky with spawns anyway), but the post-game definitely requires long grinding even with all metal floors.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 02:53:29 PM »

Please name *one* modern (as in like, post-SNES) JPRG that requires frequent mandatory grinding. I can't think of any.
Disgea? Resonance of Fate?

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »

Demon's Souls ?

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »

Long Live tri-Ace!  The anti-grinders (instead, you go item hunting and customizing!)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 03:21:08 PM »

Maybe the question should be clarified: require grinding to beat the game. You could avoid most grinding in DQIX for example, if not all, and if you can't you can kill a few of the appropriate metals as they pop up and rocket in levels fast enough that the tedium is barely there at worst (unless you're unlucky with spawns anyway), but the post-game definitely requires long grinding even with all metal floors.

You still need to grind, regardless of whether or not you do the Item World. You will never be able to just do one map once, and then move onto the next one. You will need to play the same map 3 or 4 times to get the necessary levels and magic skills to tackle the later ones.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: